Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think the issue is that if the parents thought it was not acceptable to have their kids run free-range in the lounge, they would have already put a stop to it. So, to approach a parent and ask that they put their children under control is to ask the parent to have their kids stop doing something that the parent thinks is entirely appropriate, if not entitled to do so as admitted guests in the lounge.
And if they refuse to keep their kids under control, they need to be booted out.

I had this situation last month in the LAX *A lounge with a dirty plate repeater. I had management approach them about using a clean plate, they refused, they were asked again, refused again, and they were subsequently booted out of the lounge to spend the rest of their layover in the terminal, where they belong.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I had management approach them about using a clean plate, they refused, they were asked again, refused again
What is wrong with people? I can (barely) understand it if someone just isn't aware of the rule or the underlying issue, but once being told about it, what possible reason could there be for not using a clean plate? It doesn't cost anything extra. It doesn't take any extra time or effort. Is someone that determined to just do things the wrong way?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:50 am
Suspended

What's a dirty plate repeater?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:10 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by QtownDave
What's a dirty plate repeater?
Returning to a buffet line with a previously used plate.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Returning to a buffet line with a previously used plate.
Oh, that's a thing? I wasn't aware so whats the underlying issue and is there really a rule that can get one tossed out?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:21 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Even if a lounge does not have a posted rule requiring the use of a clean plate, they probably have a general requirement to abide by staff instructions.

Requiring patrons to use a clean plate for each trip to the buffet is a food safety issue. In fact, it is a requirement under the Food and Drug Administration's Food Code.

As you eat, the tableware you are using becomes contaminated with saliva, which is transferred to your plate. If you were to take a soiled plate back to the buffet, it is possible that the serving utensil could come into contact with the plate and contaminate the food on the buffet line.
https://www.theeagle.com/brazos_life...b70cc5981.html
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
Even if a lounge does not have a posted rule requiring the use of a clean plate, they probably have a general requirement to abide by staff instructions.

https://www.theeagle.com/brazos_life...b70cc5981.html
After decades of ignorance now I know. Thanks! ^
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by Steve M
I think the issue is that if the parents thought it was not acceptable to have their kids run free-range in the lounge, they would have already put a stop to it. So, to approach a parent and ask that they put their children under control is to ask the parent to have their kids stop doing something that the parent thinks is entirely appropriate, if not entitled to do so as admitted guests in the lounge.
Nothing against well behaved kids or adults for that matter, but imho (I might be wrong) Centurion Lounges are geared towards business travelers, many airport lounges have kids zones, and parents should make sure they stay in that area for the comfort and convenience of everyone else, sadly, many times they really don’t give a damn. Some of the best airports in the world have kids zones in public areas, which are great, as kids would have a place to spend their energy before they fly, and not running amok in a confined airplane cabin without being able to move for x hrs.

Last edited by ZJ3000; Aug 12, 2019 at 2:28 am
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:24 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
LAS lounge

The 3 hr restrictions are having a positive effect on larger/expanded Centurion lounges, they are near capacity but way more manageable than several months ago, SFO, LAS, MIA, have definitely improved, SEA not so much, just commenting only on CLs I’ve been too since the 3hr and departure only rules started. SEA CL is the smallest, and would be difficult to fix overcrowding until they relocated or expand once again, though, as the SEA Delta SkyClub is one of the best and largest in the system and accessible with Amex Platinum, Centurion or Amex Delta Reserve Cards is a great alternative as long as the guests travel on Delta.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 5:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ZJ3000

Nothing against well behaved kids or adults for that matter, but imho (I might be wrong) Centurion Lounges are geared towards business travelers, many airport lounges have kids zones, and parents should make sure they stay in that area for the comfort and convenience of everyone else, sadly, many times they really don’t give a damn. Some of the best airports in the world have kids zones in public areas, which are great, as kids would have a place to spend their energy before they fly, and not running amok in a confined airplane cabin without being able to move for x hrs.
Maybe because most of my travel lately has been international I see much more ‘family’ than business types. Although such simple generalizations are always faulty. Regardless, most of us can agree that it’s more an issue of actual behavior instead of the age. I’ve have witnessed many more bad behaving adults that I have children in all aspects of life – not just in the lounge.
ffsim likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Loads of space in the DFW lounge right now... I suspect the 3-hour rule doesn’t mean much when the lounge is big enough to handle the volume
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Had a 4-hour connection at PHL in July. And I had my family with me. Teens (with their own plat AUs) and a 10 year old. They were quiet, lovely guests who either had on headphones to listen to music or were reading.

On the other hand there was a family with three kids under 5 who had basically made a slumber party fort out of two of the big double banquette type chairs. You could not have walked through even if you’d wanted to. They were sleeping all over each other in the slobby mess. Maybe that’s better than the kids running around, but it was still appalling.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 12:01 pm

Hi,

In Oct. my Cathay flight on Premium Economy will be SGN to HKG arriving around 3pm with a connecting Cathay flight from HKG to CGK around midnight. For the HKG Centurion lounge, the 3 hour prior rule does not apply to me I hope since I can show my connecting flight? Thanks! I wish I could go to Cathay's lounge but not flying business sadly.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtran26
Hi,

In Oct. my Cathay flight on Premium Economy will be SGN to HKG arriving around 3pm with a connecting Cathay flight from HKG to CGK around midnight. For the HKG Centurion lounge, the 3 hour prior rule does not apply to me I hope since I can show my connecting flight? Thanks! I wish I could go to Cathay's lounge but not flying business sadly.
I'm not sure if you'll get pushback or not, but if you're able to enter HK without a visa I'd suggest spending the 9 hours in town rather than at the airport is a wise choice.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by gtran26
Hi,

I've been to some nice to really nice lounges, but I've never been to a lounge nice enough to spend nine hours in it. I recommend spending a good chunk of that time in town, the Airport Express gets you there in under thirty minutes each way.
dhuey, Statman and IndyHoosier like this.

Last edited by fliesdelta; Aug 23, 2019 at 7:06 am Reason: corrected typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.