Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But 10 minutes over the limit with "I was delayed 4 hours so they rebooked me" as an explanation should be sufficient.
Couldn't you search for Air Canada SFO YYZ?

Anyway I get your point about the 10 minutes, but on the other hand she did give you an exception to the 3 hour rule -- I don't see anything in the terms that says "if your flight was delayed, you can stay longer" -- so she was at least willing to go that far.

I'm really not sure what would alleviate overcrowding at this point. Maybe a 1 guest rule would help, I have no idea. I don't think anyone really knows for sure. However, quite frankly for me, I have the Amex Plat largely because it gives me lounge access I can't get with my CSR, and even if the lounge access is overcrowded it's better than nothing. I love the Escape lounge in Oakland for instance. That plus purchase protection that even covers loss (not only theft), Global Assist including medevac service, and the concierge (which has worked for me to get sold out reservations)... seems to me to be well worth the $50 it costs me a year.

My main problem with the Amex Platinum is they don't give me many reasons to put any spend on the card. I have a CSR and 1x points per dollar just isn't good enough to justify putting most spend on the Amex. I end up putting everything on my Chase trifecta (CSR, FU, and F bonus categories). Like Ask Sebby, however, I DO put big ticket items on it for the purchase/loss protection and return protection. Right now I'm putting Amazon on it because they're doing a promotional offer. But otherwise, I just keep the thing for lounge access and Global Assist and the concierge.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by synzero
Couldn't you search for Air Canada SFO YYZ?
I fly that route multiple times per month.
D582 likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
This kind of situation is another reason why I try to screen shot my boarding passes.

Often enough for the mobile phone boarding passes in my hand, the only evidence of a booking I have readily available — without a call or jumping through other hoops — would be the mobile boarding passes or images of such.

But if I’m asking — or potentially going to be asking — for a benefit based on an older boarding pass, then I would want to have the older boarding pass anyway. I guess it’s time to live the pack rat dream and throw away less.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 2, 2019 at 3:37 pm
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
If I have a connecting flight but my guest doesn't, will Amex allow my guest into the lounge?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:10 am

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by westlaker
If I have a connecting flight but my guest doesn't, will Amex allow my guest into the lounge?
Yes, because guests are not required to present anything when they enter.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Premier Platinum
Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended

Correct. Usually travel with at least one guest and never been asked for their details.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Here's a data point: I was at the SFO lounge mid-afternoon on Thursday. It was pretty much full but not overflowing. Both on entry and exit, I saw several people being turned away due to the 3-hour rule, many with guests. And I can't imagine that the folks I happened to overhear on the way in and out were the only ones during the hour I was there. I have to conclude that the rule is helping with the crowding situation. Had the rule not been in place, there would have been too many people in the lounge. Maybe the number of people that historically entered the lounge many hours before their flight was greater than many of us would have guessed.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
In general, I think the 3 hour limit is reasonable, although they should be more flexible in the case of delayed flights (like they are with connections) since people are generally stuck at the airport at that point with nothing else to do. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but there generally aren't alot of good reasons to go to the airport more than 3 hours before your flight (3.5 really since you have to clear security, etc. before going to the lounge). I don't think that hanging out at the lounge and drinking for hours is a good enough reason. I understand that some people like to go to the airport early in case there are any problems, and some people like to unwind before their flight, but 3 hours is a long time to spend in a lounge.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Low Roller
In general, I think the 3 hour limit is reasonable, although they should be more flexible in the case of delayed flights
They are pretty flexible, from what I've experienced and seen, around flight delays. All they ask for is your original departure time ticket and go based off that. Issue is, and not just for Centurion lounges, when you have rolling delays your airport lounges are going to be packed to the gills.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Currently sitting at the MIA lounge and have been here for 2 hours. Haven’t been here in almost two years and the experience is definitely better. The expansion has dramatically changed this lounge. My one major complaint is the zoo of children running around but this could be fixed by Amex charging for access beyond 1 companion.

Outside of that it is quite warm. I don’t think the HVAC can keep up with the sun pouring in through all the windows including the expansion area. Also, I distinctly remember the staff used to come around to people seated offering menus and drinks. That doesn’t seem to happen anymore.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
Currently sitting at the MIA lounge and have been here for 2 hours. Haven’t been here in almost two years and the experience is definitely better. The expansion has dramatically changed this lounge. My one major complaint is the zoo of children running around but this could be fixed by Amex charging for access beyond 1 companion.

Outside of that it is quite warm. I don’t think the HVAC can keep up with the sun pouring in through all the windows including the expansion area. Also, I distinctly remember the staff used to come around to people seated offering menus and drinks. That doesn’t seem to happen anymore.
I think parents would pay instead of letting the kids run free in the terminal.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by QtownDave
I think parents would pay instead of letting the kids run free in the terminal.
Fantastic. Amex can put that money towards a dedicated ‘child zoo’ section of the lounge.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cmd320

The out of control children issue is what I remember from this lounge the last time I was there - really, is it so difficult to tell parents to either keep their children under control or they need to leave the lounge? The staff seem terrified to confront customers exhibiting bad behavior, let they allow everyone else to suffer.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The out of control children issue is what I remember from this lounge the last time I was there - really, is it so difficult to tell parents to either keep their children under control or they need to leave the lounge? The staff seem terrified to confront customers exhibiting bad behavior, let they allow everyone else to suffer.
I think the issue is that if the parents thought it was not acceptable to have their kids run free-range in the lounge, they would have already put a stop to it. So, to approach a parent and ask that they put their children under control is to ask the parent to have their kids stop doing something that the parent thinks is entirely appropriate, if not entitled to do so as admitted guests in the lounge.
ffsim likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.