Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
We know you're bitter about it going away but, for about the tenth time, nobody has blamed the Ameriprise people for being the primary cause of Centurion Lounge crowding.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joe_miami
We know you're bitter about it going away but, for about the tenth time, nobody has blamed the Ameriprise people for being the primary cause of Centurion Lounge crowding.
ROTFLOL They just get blamed for being a substantial cause of who knows what.

It wouldn’t make sense for me to ever be bitter about the fee-waiver coming or going. I have not needed a fee-waived Ameriprise Platinum card to access the Centurion lounges, and I still don’t.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Maybe I confused you with someone else. Every time the Ameriprise comes up, there are one or two people who come out of the woodwork to insist the free Ameriprise cards didn't contribute at all to the lounge crowding.

In any event, I've never seen anyone suggest the Ameriprise was the primary driver of any crowding issues.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The one and only solution is to expand the size of the lounges and the lounge network. Other than that, there is no real solution to the crowding at Centurion Lounges.
AJchang likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
The one and only solution is to expand the size of the lounges and the lounge network. Other than that, there is no real solution to the crowding at Centurion Lounges.
Expanding the lounge network won’t do much about alleviating lounge overcrowding. It might even make things worse. Expanding the lounge sizes would work a lot better for customers, but is Amex willing to pay the cost for that and is the space going to even be made available to Amex for expanding the lounge sizes? I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for the expansion of lounge sizes for the current US airports with Centurion lounges.

My bet is that the Amex solution is almost certainly going to be to raise the cost of the Platinum cards — including for additional Plat cards on a given Plat card account — and/or to limit how and how many entries/guests each card grants to the holder of a Plat card.

The economy declining into substantial recession will address the overcrowding issue in ways that Amex’s tweaks won’t.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Remember that the AMEX Platinum is one of the easiest AMEX cards to get approved for (and probably one of the easiest travel cards to be approved for). It is charge card, after all. And the $550 fee more than justifies lounge access without any additional card spend - the airlines all sell lounge memberships in that same ballpark. The fact is that the card isn't as high end, nor is the clientele as specific, as you may imagine, and AMEX is probably fine with that
It's a question about what business American Express wants to be in. Are they a premium credit card or a lounge membership?

I would strongly argue they are not in the lounge membership business. Remember the card has some other perks, which most people are likely to redeem at least some amount. Is the smart business model here to crowd lounges, expand expensive airport real estate, to make $100 a year for "lounge members" while alienating your big-spenders and turning it into a family food lounge?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Super Mario
It's a question about what business American Express wants to be in. Are they a premium credit card or a lounge membership?

I would strongly argue they are not in the lounge membership business. Remember the card has some other perks, which most people are likely to redeem at least some amount. Is the smart business model here to crowd lounges, expand expensive airport real estate, to make $100 a year for "lounge members" while alienating your big-spenders and turning it into a family food lounge?
Amex decided they want to/need to be in the lounge business. Blame the banks and airlines which restricted access to the co-brand premium cardholders only, Amex used to get you into continental, american and delta, now its just Delta, and only because they have the DL business already.

Its not like there's crickets in the united clubs in SFO (or EWR, which is an absolute mess lounge wise). There are a lot of people traveling a lot who, for one reason or another, think that its a good use of (not really that much) money to gain access to lounges. I'd argue the airline lounges are actually better for business than the cent lounges, those tend to have workstations, etc for people who want to sit down and get stuff done. The cents are very much about the F&B experience.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by entropy
I'd argue the airline lounges are actually better for business than the cent lounges, those tend to have workstations, etc for people who want to sit down and get stuff done. The cents are very much about the F&B experience.
100% - for actual work, give me a SkyClub or an Admirals Club any day over any Centurion lounge I've seen. Thankfully Admirals Clubs still sell access on a on-off basis, which I use occasionally (and get reimbursed for via the Amex credit).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
100% - for actual work, give me a SkyClub or an Admirals Club any day over any Centurion lounge I've seen.
I'm guessing you've never been to the SkyClub at SLC or MSP.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm guessing you've never been to the SkyClub at SLC or MSP.
Or ATL B. Or JFK T4, or MCO.

I was at the JFK T4 lounge a couple weeks ago at peak time (European departures) and it was an absolute zoo.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
I was recently in DFW, and it was SO crowded. There was almost no where to sit, and kids were running around and screaming. After a little bit I left and went into the DL SC at DFW which was MUCH quieter, and had easier access to my gate.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador

Amex finally woke up and eliminated the Ameriprise loophole. I’d love to know how many people are still enjoying the perks of that. Hopefully a lot of those “unprofitable customers” won’t have a Plat 6 or 8 months from now.
I did find it odd that I met 2 underwriters from Ameriprise the last time I was stuck in a Centurion lounge in PHL.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by meunger11
I did find it odd that I met 2 underwriters from Ameriprise the last time I was stuck in a Centurion lounge in PHL.
Did they overcrowd the lounge anymore than the four JPM Chase bankers I met at the Centurion lounge last time? Sounds like they didn’t.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did they overcrowd the lounge anymore than the four JPM Chase bankers I met at the Centurion lounge last time? Sounds like they didn’t.
I can only imagine!
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Let's be serious here: There's no reason anyone would keep re-opening Ameriprise Platinum cards except to use the (free) benefits. Nobody is doing it so they can rack up a whopping 1x points on the vast majority of their spending.
You don't see the logic? Why else would people go to the trouble of opening and closing an Ameriprise Platinum card every 12 months if they weren't using the benefits?

The median Amex Plat cardholder probably doesn't visit a Centurion Lounge once per year. The Ameriprise Platinum churners assuredly use the lounges more than that — and probably a lot more than that.
Not sure why you put scare quotes around the word "logic." Your comment helps to prove my point. You opened the Ameriprise Platinum for the free benefits, and you plan to close the current one and get a new one next year for the same reason.
Maybe I confused you with someone else. Every time the Ameriprise comes up, there are one or two people who come out of the woodwork to insist the free Ameriprise cards didn't contribute at all to the lounge crowding.

In any event, I've never seen anyone suggest the Ameriprise was the primary driver of any crowding issues.
Well, except you. ^

I'll give you credit though - when you see a dead equine, you continue to flog the hell out of it.
GUWonder and krazykanuck like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.