Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
For years, people here have been claiming to do it, since long before Amex's 3-hour rule.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by zxrst
I agree it sounds a made-up story. Anyway, I doubt anyone would actually go through the hassle of buy/cancelling a refundable ticket so that s/he can get into a lounge 30 minutes earlier.
Load the App, input a CC, then charge any tix within 3 hours, or whatever. Go into lounge, open App, cancel to CC for a full refund. What's hard about this? Better yet, use points, even easier.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by gmt4
Yep. I know of a co-worker that had a ~9hr layover in MIA, already had the WN electronic BP in hand before he departed for MIA. Once he was in I believe he changed his WN travel to some other flight he actually did need on WN. Stayed in there about 8 hrs or so...once you're in, you're in. They don't check to see if you've left.

While I don't necessarily agree with this its just a creative way to use multiple loopholes to your advantage.
I've been to some fine lounges, but I've never been in a lounge that's eight hours nice. Maybe if they offered napping facilities.
Statman, Kacee and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I agree it sounds a made-up story. Anyway, I doubt anyone would actually go through the hassle of buy/cancelling a refundable ticket so that s/he can get into a lounge 30 minutes earlier.
It's not made up, I do this a couple times a year when I take my parents to the airport so I can wait with them at the gate....buy refundable ticket, clear precheck, make sure parents are onboard and on their way, stop by Delta SkyClub for dinner while I cancel the ticket. Of course making a frequent habit of it might result in unintended consequences with the airline if you're connecting your frequent flyer account to the tickets (dumb move), but other than that, it's no big deal.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It's not made up, I do this a couple times a year when I take my parents to the airport so I can wait with them at the gate..
Please enlighten us. How do you buy a ticket from an airline that doesn't even depart from the airport in question and get past TSA?
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I don't doubt that people do it but I am questioning the fact that they managed to get in using a boarding pass for an airline that doesn't even serve that airport. Surely the person at the desk would have had something to say if they tried to use a boarding pass for say FLL-BWI when they are in MIA.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve M
Please enlighten us. How do you buy a ticket from an airline that doesn't even depart from the airport in question and get past TSA?
I don't agree with what he does, but that was someone else's story.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by alggag
I don't doubt that people do it but I am questioning the fact that they managed to get in using a boarding pass for an airline that doesn't even serve that airport. Surely the person at the desk would have had something to say if they tried to use a boarding pass for say FLL-BWI when they are in MIA.
Obviously, that person was wrong about the airline in question.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
There was a waitlist of about 15 minutes today at Seattle. Since Mrs. Majuki and I only had about an hour connection, we decided to head to the gate.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:16 am

Seriously, you guys really questioning and doubting the efficacy of using a refundable boarding pass to gain entry? Not sure about MIA (never been there), but in SFO/LAS/SEA, anyone doubt, even for a moment, the ease of utilizing the WN cheese? And, when NY or wherever comes online, assuming one is willing to risk it, any AS elite can do the same with their refundable credit.

Now, whether it's worth the time or risk is another issue entirely, but, it's clearly very easy to accomplish. Of course people abuse it and I'm sure we've all see it.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Visconti
Seriously, you guys really questioning and doubting the efficacy of using a refundable boarding pass to gain entry? Not sure about MIA (never been there), but in SFO/LAS/SEA, anyone doubt, even for a moment, the ease of utilizing the WN cheese?
Yes, seriously, we are questioning the use of a WN refundable ticket to get past security at MIA. WN does not operate at MIA, so the boarding pass would be for departing from a different airport. TSA is likely to notice. I've never been to MIA either, but I don't need to have in order to understand the concept.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:25 am

Yes, seriously, we are questioning the use of a WN refundable ticket to get past security at MIA. WN does not operate at MIA, so the boarding pass would be for departing from a different airport. TSA is likely to notice. I've never been to MIA either, but I don't need to have in order to understand the concept.
MIA is irrelevant. Maybe the poster was confused, mistaken, or made a typo. Who cares? What's germane is the ease with which this 3 hour rule may be circumvented by anyone with a CC or rapid rewards miles. With you guys, it's like talking to lawyers who focus on one little inconsistency to derail the point of an entire topic.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Delta Airlines is FLL's largest carrier.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Segments

Especially since the 3 hour rule doesn’t apply to layovers.

Or was the co-workers’ “layover” really a one day trip to MIA? Think of the wasted time if Centurion Lounge deal must start determining what is a valid layover. International to Domestic... 9 hours okay? Domestic to Domestic...limited to 4 hours unless evidence of IRROPS provided?

Limit guests and/or authorized users which is much more straightforward to control.
I haven’t been back to this thread for over a day and I'll say don't shoot the messenger. All I know he is told me he arrived into MIA on his flight, used a WN BP (according to him) and spent about 8hrs in the lounge before he departed later on. I don't know where he was heading to or what airline that was on. This is the sort of guy who kinda pulls office shenanigans at times but is not usually full of it. So, I tend to believe he‘d do something like this. He's an ORD based flyer so I know he was only connecting at MIA.

I don’t condone it and don’t agree with it, but I fully believe more people than him do stuff like this. If there’s a way to circumvent a rule or process people will do it. That shouldn’t seem surprising to anyone. "Sticking it to the man" has become as much an American pastime as baseball.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Pro;Ritz Carlton Ambassador;Hilton Silver: SPG Gold
I know it's only been one month with the new 3 hour rule and no more use as arrivals lounge, but has anyone noticed significantly less overcrowding?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.