Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by mia
I do read, and the original claim is that weekly travelers would have lounge access on the basis of status alone. Purchased access to AA, DL or US lounges doesn't seem relevant to the claim.

I am also not sure that flying weekly would be sufficient to earn DL Diamond or AA Concierge Key, but I do not keep track of the tier requirements. I think it is likely that many weekly flyers will have top tier status in one program, but that others will not, and both groups might find Centurion lounge access a useful adjunct to whatever lounge access they might receive from an airline program.
absolutely agree on the merits of Centurion lounge, and it is a different product all together compared to other PP lounges, and/or most domestic airline lounges.
At the end is a question of preference, and there are a few dozen domestic lounges per airline (AA,UA,DL,AS) across the US compared to only a few (strategically located) Centurion.
I am not arguing against them, I am simply stating the fact that there are other options, though product quality may be lacking.
With regard of which loyalty program or lack of a flyer chooses has a lot to do with your home base, also, in case someone has status with one airline, and need to fly on a different alliance, status match is an option.
Just to be clear, I completely agree with you regarding Centurion Lounges being a benefit that we should all be able to enjoy regardless of loyalty program, status, or how many times a year someone wants to use a Centurion lounge. I believe Amex willl continue to expand their the size and number of lounges as long as it’s profitable, even from a marketing point of view it has been a success.

Last edited by ZJ3000; Apr 3, 2019 at 1:44 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar
You are right, I do long for the days when the Centurion lounges were exactly that; a comfortable lounge in which you could enjoy a little peace and quiet before your flight. Now it's become the total opposite.

The first Centurion lounge opened in Las Vegas in 2013 and was initially pay for entry for any but Centurion Cardmembers. Here's a quote when the Las Vegas lounge first opened:

"Any eligible American Express Cardmember may purchase a one-day Access Key at the Lounge for $50. If you hold a Centurion Card from American Express, or if you received a promotional mailing with an Access Key, access to The Centurion Lounge is complimentary. Purchase of one-day Access Keys is subject to Lounge capacity."
2013 AF $450, included access to American Airlines and US Air lounges, fast forward 2019 AF $550, no AA (or USAir) lounge access, benefits changed so did AF, YMMV but I personally think we get less value now than in 2013, and limiting access is not a good alternative to the problem.
Amex does have an alternative model on Centurion Suites (i.e: Staple Center, Barclays center, & pop-up locations) access is complimentary, but they charge for food and drinks. I personally wouldn’t like it, but if peace and quiet is what people want that might be a solution, if it’s free food and drinks then that is a problem.

Last edited by ZJ3000; Apr 1, 2019 at 11:22 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by ZJ3000
...by AK, UA...
...(AA,UA,DL,AK)...
It's AS, not the state of Alaska AK
ZJ3000, pcoll and icelandman2 like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA 1K UnitedClub anual membership 60K miles
That is a terrible deal and I doubt there are many takers. At a conservative valuation of 1.5 cpp, that's $900 for a membership that costs $450 cash.

Beyond that, as others have noted, your basic premise - that US legacy top tiers get free domestic lounge access - is simply not correct
krazykanuck and icelandman2 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Sorry, but I am not sharing a table with a total stranger. The table has just enough room for my laptop, my plate and my glass - and no room for anyone else's stuff.
Sorry dude if that's the case, and you need to work on your laptop, then sit at the bar - that's what I do.

Last edited by mia; Apr 2, 2019 at 9:55 am
Old Apr 2, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Sorry, but I am not sharing a table with a total stranger. The table has just enough room for my laptop, my plate and my glass - and no room for anyone else's stuff.
That's an interesting attitude. Reading through your other posts in this thread, you that the overcrowding problem is "simple" to solve by limiting guests, family members, and removing access to AUs and especially corporate cards, which you mention several times as being particularly problematic. Also, you mention:

... disproportionally full of younger techie/geek-types
There is no reason why these techie-types from the Bay Area ...
Yet, you need to take up space for two people so you have room for your laptop? It may be that you feel that taking up space for two people is an entitlement as a primary cardholder. Well, other people feel the same way about guests, family members, and AUs that they pay an extra annual fee for to get the included benefits.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by safari ari
It's AS, not the state of Alaska AK
Oops thanks! typo fixed!
Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
That is a terrible deal and I doubt there are many takers. At a conservative valuation of 1.5 cpp, that's $900 for a membership that costs $450 cash.

Beyond that, as others have noted, your basic premise - that US legacy top tiers get free domestic lounge access - is simply not correct
Getting lounge access by buying with miles, cash, or status are options, and yours to choose which if any are a good value or not.

“Delta Diamond and AA concierge key status have lounge access, so does AU 1K but is limited to international connections, and AS G75k 4 passes per year.”
please describe my inaccuracy?

Currently, centurion lounge access is a bundled benefit of Platinum & Centurion card holder, and the value of that benefit varies from person to person. Amex is aggressively expanding US & international Centurion locations, I am sure access to Centurion Cardmembers only would not be feasible at only $2,500 AF unless they start offering black cards to everyone.
PS: just announced Amex bought Lounge Buddy, hopefully they better integrate lounge access management with the app.

Last edited by ZJ3000; Apr 3, 2019 at 2:16 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Sorry but, Your assumptions are without merit, if someone travels “every week (every day?)” they will almost certainly have access to any lounge, as the’ll have top airline/alliance status.

“Delta Diamond and AA concierge key status have lounge access, so does AU 1K but is limited to international connections, and AS G75k 4 passes per year.”
please describe my inaccuracy?
That everyone flying weekly on AA has CK status.

That those who fly weekly are able to always fly one legacy US airline or alliance therefore holding top tier in one versus mid tier in multiple airlines/alliances.

That UA 1k only take international flights. (therefore only needing lounge access for international flights)

That AS G75k acquire that status while being in an airport only 4x/year. (since they certainly won’t have complimentary access beyond that point)

Old Apr 3, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Segments

That everyone flying weekly on AA has CK status.

That those who fly weekly are able to always fly one legacy US airline or alliance therefore holding top tier in one versus mid tier in multiple airlines/alliances.

That UA 1k only take international flights. (therefore only needing lounge access for international flights)

That AS G75k acquire that status while being in an airport only 4x/year. (since they certainly won’t have complimentary access beyond that point)

lol you are quoting yourself, not me, I didn’t say “everyone”, nor said AU 1K have access to domestic lounges, and finally didn’t say AS G75 has unlimited complimentary access.

Simple math if someone travels 2rt week x 52 and minimum accrual of 500 miles (AA,UA,DL base minimum) per trip that’s 104K EQMs a year, and that’s on Economy, substantially higher on F/J, and half of that still gets you mid tier elite status @ 52k EQMs, and of course I know you don’t get complimentary lounge access as mid tier benefit.

Last edited by ZJ3000; Apr 6, 2019 at 6:50 pm
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Steve M
That's an interesting attitude. Reading through your other posts in this thread, you that the overcrowding problem is "simple" to solve by limiting guests, family members, and removing access to AUs and especially corporate cards, which you mention several times as being particularly problematic. Also, you mention:

Yet, you need to take up space for two people so you have room for your laptop? It may be that you feel that taking up space for two people is an entitlement as a primary cardholder. Well, other people feel the same way about guests, family members, and AUs that they pay an extra annual fee for to get the included benefits.
It goes beyond just the laptop space - I am not sharing one of those small tables with a total stranger while I am eating dinner. It's uncomfortable and it's weird. The tables don't offer a lot of personal space, and to be sitting just inches away from someone I have no connection with or interest in while trying to eat my dinner is just plain strange. I would never do this in a restaurant or other airline club, nor have I ever been asked to. If I am asked to share a table, laptop or no laptop, my answer is no, and beyond that, I wouldn't ask another person if I was the one without a seat. I would just wait until something opens up, or leave and go elsewhere.

Amex Plat includes PP benefits that let me buy dinner in a number of different airport restaurants, some of them are quite decent.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Are the AmEx Centurion lounges enforcing there new rule by not allowing passengers who arrive at there final destination not to access the AmEx Centurion lounges? I am scheduled to meet with a client when I arrive into my final destination at LGA, my client is flying out of LGA, and we agreed to meet at the LGA AmEx Centurion lounge, I just hope the AmEx Centurion lounges are not enforcing this new rule. We will see.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:23 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jimcoddington
Are the AmEx Centurion lounges enforcing there new rule by not allowing passengers who arrive at there final destination not to access the AmEx Centurion lounges? I am scheduled to meet with a client when I arrive into my final destination at LGA
This isn’t a data point on arrival access, but I can tell you that I was at the LGA lounge the day after the new restrictions were in place and they definitely checked my departure time before admitting me.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Are the AmEx Centurion lounges enforcing there new rule by not allowing passengers who arrive at there final destination not to access the AmEx Centurion lounges? I am scheduled to meet with a client when I arrive into my final destination at LGA, my client is flying out of LGA, and we agreed to meet at the LGA AmEx Centurion lounge, I just hope the AmEx Centurion lounges are not enforcing this new rule. We will see.
Since your client is departing from LGA, you can be his guest. Guests do not need to show their boarding passes.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:54 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Just book some full fare budget (for the refund) airline leg three hours after you land, once you get into the lounge call the budget airline, cancel the reservation, and meet with your client.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.