Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Sure, but that's decidedly not the business model in effect at Amex's lounges.

I'm sure there are some outliers, but there can't be that many people using the lounges on a daily basis, or anything close thereto.

I'm against annual visit limits, but I'm curious how many people would be affected by a limit of 50 visits per year.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by joe_miami
...there can't be that many people using the lounges on a daily basis....
While I haven't met anyone who flies every day, I've met plenty at SFO who regularly fly several times a week in and out of terminal 3. Even if flying only once a week, going to the lounge only at departure, at $25 F&B per visit that's $1250 per year.

I think the right number of free lounge visits should be capped at around 10 per year. That would provide about $250 value to have the card on an annual basis. That's not even counting guest admissions. $250 combined with the other card benefits ($200 annual Airline Fee credit, $200 annual Uber Credit, Priority Pass membership, TSA Fee credit, Delta SkyClub lounge access, mid-tier Marriott and Hilton Status) makes the $550 annual fee a decent value proposition.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by TravelStar
While I haven't met anyone who flies every day, I've met plenty at SFO who regularly fly several times a week in and out of terminal 3. Even if flying only once a week, going to the lounge only at departure, at $25 F&B per visit that's $1250 per year.

I think the right number of free lounge visits should be capped at around 10 per year. That would provide about $250 value to have the card on an annual basis. That's not even counting guest admissions. $250 combined with the other card benefits ($200 annual Airline Fee credit, $200 annual Uber Credit, Priority Pass membership, TSA Fee credit, Delta SkyClub lounge access, mid-tier Marriott and Hilton Status) makes the $550 annual fee a decent value proposition.
I guess you’re not trying to appease the people whom travel often, capping at 10 visits is an extremely lowball number in my opinion. Capping visits in general does not sit well with me at all
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine

I guess you’re not trying to appease the people whom travel often, capping at 10 visits is an extremely lowball number in my opinion. Capping visits in general does not sit well with me at all
Taking his bio at face value, it sounds like he's trying to appease his fellow Centurion cardholders.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Restricting guests would have a substantial impact at SFO.
That's completely unrealistic.

You keep saying it's a bad policy as if that's a given, but I completely disagree. Who arrives at SFO 3+ hours early to access the Centurion lounge, and why should that silliness be allowed?

Centurion access at SFO is a scarce resource. It is properly being rationed. Turning away people who want to sit in the lounge and drink free alcohol for 4 hours seems eminently appropriate to me.
I don't think its unrealistic to find more space, they've done so in MIA.... I don't know that there are so many people sitting in the lounge for 3+ hours getting hammered, it does seem that there is an intersection of the well-to-do travelers and plat cardholders and in a place like SFO, there are simply too many of them for the lounge capacity. I doubt the 3 hour limit will help that much.

As for restricting the benefit, frankly, the other benefits of the plat aren't so great, the cent lounge is a big selling point for the people who would use the lounges the most, so they're kinda screwed.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Machine

I'm not suggesting they cap the number of visits. Only suggesting they cap the number of free visits. After that, a $20 charge per visit would seem appropriate.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami
...it sounds like he's trying to appease his fellow Centurion cardholders.
You are right, I do long for the days when the Centurion lounges were exactly that; a comfortable lounge in which you could enjoy a little peace and quiet before your flight. Now it's become the total opposite.

The first Centurion lounge opened in Las Vegas in 2013 and was initially pay for entry for any but Centurion Cardmembers. Here's a quote when the Las Vegas lounge first opened:

"Any eligible American Express Cardmember may purchase a one-day Access Key at the Lounge for $50. If you hold a Centurion Card from American Express, or if you received a promotional mailing with an Access Key, access to The Centurion Lounge is complimentary. Purchase of one-day Access Keys is subject to Lounge capacity."

Last edited by TravelStar; Mar 24, 2019 at 6:40 pm Reason: typo correction
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by entropy
I don't think its unrealistic to find more space, they've done so in MIA.... .
Also at DFW and SEA. I think it's clear that American Express will enlarge lounges, or build larger ones, when the space is available. It isn't clear that they will open more than one lounge at the same airport.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
Also at DFW and SEA. I think it's clear that American Express will enlarge lounges, or build larger ones, when the space is available. It isn't clear that they will open more than one lounge at the same airport.
SEA feels maxed out and Delta has the adjacent space and is probably unlikely to share. The Club (PP) is fine and wasn't crowded when I went but was quite a distance, being all the way at the end of A. What would be nice is if Escape built something in the C/D area now that Alaska pulled out of Priority Pass. Their lounge in MSP is great IMO and would help spread out the Amex customers, and probably would bring in some day-pass revenue from both AS and DL passengers (now that DL doesn't allow guest passes unless you're a Skymiles cardholder or AX Plat/Cent).
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Limit guest access to one individual, regardless of spouse, family, friend, child, random stranger from airport, etc. Too many family members and colleagues are being guested in.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 8:52 pm

LAS was overcrowded today. I was maybe #10 in line and almost everyone in front of me had 2 guests. It took three rounds of circling to find a single free chair. The two seater pods are a waste of space, as they are usually occupied by one person sprawled out. They ran out of coffee at 10 AM (took 15 minutes for more) closed one bathroom for cleaning and had a long line for the other. I'll probably not bother with it next time.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Overcrowded Lounges are not new nor exclusive Centurion lounge problem, I personally hardly ever visit a centurion lounge, I’ve been to several AA, DL, AS, KE, UA, CX, SQ, AF, OZ lounges in the last 12 months domestic and international, you name it they are all overcrowded, the problem is not solved by limiting access either, YMMV but I go there mostly for free food & drinks, and other guests services. some airline lounges limit the number of complimentary drinks and they’re still crowded, as we all know Centurion & Amex Plat cards have the most extensive network, including Centurion, PP, Air Space, Plaza, and Escape, it is a problem not easily solved, probably the only way to improve is by adding space, which is costly and not always available.

Last edited by ZJ3000; Mar 25, 2019 at 3:30 am Reason: Omission
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:37 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Originally Posted by TravelStar
The only Centurion lounges that aren't yet problems are those that have opened more recently and haven't yet been gamed by air commuters who visit them every week (every day?)
Sorry but, Your assumptions are without merit, if someone travels “every week (every day?)” they will almost certainly have access to any lounge, as the’ll have top airline/alliance status.

Last edited by ZJ3000; Mar 25, 2019 at 3:39 am Reason: Grammatical error
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZJ3000

Sorry but, Your assumptions are without merit, if someone travels “every week (every day?)” they will almost certainly have access to any lounge, as the’ll have top airline/alliance status.
That may be true that they have access to other lounges, but there are are no domestic lounges that have the food and beverage selections that Centurion has.
In addition, I have literally shared tables with several of these road warriors at the Amex lounge in SFO.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by cmd320
Limit guest access to one individual, regardless of spouse, family, friend, child, random stranger from airport, etc. Too many family members and colleagues are being guested in.
I agree with this. Implement the Delta SkyClub policy and just eliminate the ability to guest someone in and the pool of guests shrinks exponentially. AUs can access using their own card.
work2fly, krazykanuck and cmd320 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.