Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
In addition to SFO and MIA being "problems" I would certainly add LAS. The only Centurion lounges that aren't yet problems are those that have opened more recently and haven't yet been gamed by air commuters who visit them every week (every day?). The only lounges that may not ever have a crowding issue are those located in obscure terminals in lower volume airports.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
“Ever” is an odd standard here. No idea why Amex Plat cardholders would prefer annual limits to being turned away occasionally due to crowding. People are still going to want to use the lounges at peak times, so even with limits, entry and comfort would never be guaranteed.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by TravelStar
In addition to SFO and MIA being "problems" I would certainly add LAS. The only Centurion lounges that aren't yet problems are those that have opened more recently and haven't yet been gamed by air commuters who visit them every week (every day?). The only lounges that may not ever have a crowding issue are those located in obscure terminals in lower volume airports.
It seems that every lounge I've visited lately has been somewhat to very crowded, and it's probably the result of so many cards having lounge access as a benefit, and with so many blogs explaining how to minimize the impact of the annual fee so a lot of people end up with Amex Plat, CSR, etc.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
“Ever” is an odd standard here. No idea why Amex Plat cardholders would prefer annual limits to being turned away occasionally due to crowding. People are still going to want to use the lounges at peak times, so even with limits, entry and comfort would never be guaranteed.
Agreed.

As I posted elsewhere on this thread: given the current crowding problems, the terminals are starting to be not that different from the lounges, as far as a place to sit and get work done. The complimentary food/beverage is a meh benefit for me, most of the US lounges aren't all that great in that department.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Limiting access is a bad idea. If with even the three hour limits and no arrivals they are turning people away they should expand the lounge or open a second location. At many airports that would actually be a third location since many delta members are using those lounges anyways.

DL lounges have overcrowding issues but nothing as constantly bad as what you hear about Amex lounges. They need to solve the problem. They are building their brand around lounges.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfabar1
DL lounges have overcrowding issues but nothing as constantly bad as what you hear about Amex lounges. They need to solve the problem. They are building their brand around lounges.
No, they're not. The average Amex cardholder has never been in a Centurion lounge.
Robl likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by scubadu
Urrr... so the better path would be don't have a policy and then it would likely be even more crowded than what you just described?! (you said folks were being actively turned away, which means with no policy they'd be jammed in too)
It's silly to suggest that the only alternative to bad policy is no policy at all.

The reality is that most cardholders won't even bother with the lounge if there is no seating or even if there is seating and it's so crowded, and that's what is already keeping the SFO lounge from being "even more crowded". I left the lounge after being unable to find seating and witnessed others doing the same, which was far more people than the two I overheard being denied access for being more than three hours early. As is also obvious from this thread, there are already many cardholders who are voluntarily keeping themselves away from the SFO lounge overcrowdedness, because who even wants to be in there if it's like what it was yesterday.

And to be honest, I'm amazed the place even keeps under fire capacity. It was that difficult just to navigate one quick loop around the lounge yesterday.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure I understand this comment. Without the restrictions, crowding would be even worse throughout the day. Now at least there's a hope you can get a seat during nonpeak hours.
I haven't had problems getting seats at SFO at non-peak times, which is the root of my complaint. If AMEX is going to introduce a policy that restricts access and reduces benefits for its cardholders, that policy better make a dramatic improvement when it needs to. That's why it's such a bad policy.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
IMO, The only way for AMEX to reduce crowding is to limit the number of free visits per Cardmember per year.
Restricting guests would have a substantial impact at SFO.
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Limiting access is a bad idea. If with even the three hour limits and no arrivals they are turning people away they should expand the lounge or open a second location.
That's completely unrealistic.

Originally Posted by gengar
If AMEX is going to introduce a policy that restricts access and reduces benefits for its cardholders, that policy better make a dramatic improvement when it needs to. That's why it's such a bad policy.
You keep saying it's a bad policy as if that's a given, but I completely disagree. Who arrives at SFO 3+ hours early to access the Centurion lounge, and why should that silliness be allowed?

Centurion access at SFO is a scarce resource. It is properly being rationed. Turning away people who want to sit in the lounge and drink free alcohol for 4 hours seems eminently appropriate to me.
work2fly and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
The reality is that most cardholders won't even bother with the lounge if there is no seating or even if there is seating and it's so crowded, and that's what is already keeping the SFO lounge from being "even more crowded".
I mostly fly Delta, and it so happens that the SC at SFO is one of the best in the system. I visited the SFO Centurion club a couple of times last year when I flew UA, and I did manage to find a seat on each visit, but it was pretty crowded. I know pax with airlines in other terminals will make the trek to the Centurion club, but I got the curiosity out of my system. SFO has decent free wifi in the terminal, so I doubt I'll go into the lounge next time I'm in that terminal.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:25 am

The average Amex cardholder has never been in a Centurion lounge.
This is statistically impossible. What's your source for this?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pallhedge
This is statistically impossible. What's your source for this?
It’s not at all “statistically impossible.” It’s like saying the average American has never been to Yankee Stadium. Amex Plat cardholders are only a small percentage of Amex’s overall customer base.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
The only Centurion lounges that aren't yet problems are those that have opened more recently and haven't yet been gamed by air commuters who visit them every week (every day?).
How is visiting daily or weekly "gaming" the system if that's your actual flying pattern?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by ikwia
How is visiting daily or weekly "gaming" the system if that's your actual flying pattern?
If the lounge is constantly crowded and other customers are being turned away due to the crowding. The way I see it, those who visit the lounge in such a high numbers per year are disproportionately the main cause of the crowding and are therefore denying others the benefit of having access to the lounge.
As I have shared tables at the lounges, I have talked to people at who would never have signed up for the Platinum card have done the math and realize the food and alcohol consumption could easily be worth $25+ per visit. Many of them visit twice per day and multiply that by several times per week. The value of F&B can exceed $5000 per year per Cardmember.
I realize it is technically not "gaming" as the current rules allow an unlimited amount of visits. I personally hope Amex gets smart and limits annual free visits to return it to a lounge to be used as a convenience for travelers rather than the food trough it has become.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:40 pm
Suspended

If the lounge is constantly crowded and other customers are being turned away due to the crowding. The way I see it, those who visit the lounge in such a high numbers per year are disproportionately the main cause of the crowding and are therefore denying others the benefit of having access to the lounge.
As I have shared tables at the lounges, I have talked to people at who would never have signed up for the Platinum card have done the math and realize the food and alcohol consumption could easily be worth $25+ per visit. Many of them visit twice per day and multiply that by several times per week. The value of F&B can exceed $5000 per year per Cardmember.
I realize it is technically not "gaming" as the current rules allow an unlimited amount of visits. I personally hope Amex gets smart and limits annual free visits to return it to a lounge to be used as a convenience for travelers rather than the food trough it has become.
Man, $5,000 is a lot of chicken and chocolate chip cookies.
United747 and Adelphos like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Man, $5,000 is a lot of chicken and chocolate chip cookies.
Those cookies are good :-) On a serious note, at airport prices my bar bill would exceed $50 each time I visit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.