Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:14 am

Programs: HH, Asiana club, Elevated, Skymiles, Fairmont President's Club
Painfully accurate

Originally Posted by scubadu
And herein lies the problem... you see everyone here on FT likes to propose solutions that "work for them" and somehow magically believe it will alleviate overcrowding. Because for some strange reason everyone in this forum believes their use case isn't the problem. It's everyone else's use case that is the problem. Kinda like 80% of drivers believe they are "above average" drivers. See the irony there?

I see we are immediately back to the same tired solutions that many have been championing for years rather than acknowledging the most obvious way to alleviate overcrowding is to make the card a) more difficult to obtain (clearly they have precedence for that concept with the Centurion Card) or b) make cardholders pay a real, and higher annual fee rather than a "fake" annual fee that sometimes ends up very close to zero.

One thing I agree with mia on, and she has brought this up more than once, is that Amex probably largely doesn't care about overcrowding nearly as much as people here do. Of course they will do things to ensure the club isn't overflowing, but Amex has very little interest in making the club a truly exclusive oasis from the terminal. So several of the ideas people are throwing out, including me, would likely result in card cancellations, which Amex will likely try to avoid if at all possible and thus they will implement the most light touch guidelines they possible can, as slowly as they possibly can.

Regards
I completely agree with your comments, and others that have made similar remarks, I would like to add, as they improved Amex Gold the odds are most ppl have Plat mostly for lounge access, if the annual fee is not offset by credits card members will drop Amex main product, that would be a disaster for them, and the only solution is to make improvements to the card, I am expecting the AF to keep climbing year after year.
One last thought, IMO, the whole point of showers/Spa at lounges is to be used on arrival.ymmv
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
We will not admit PlatinumCard Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the PlatinumCard Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to PlatinumCard Members with a connecting flight.
I know what their intent is, but this wording seems overly permissive...when you arrive at the airport for the first flight of your itinerary, you "[have] a connecting flight" (just not from that airport), which according to their policy means the 3 hour pre-departure limit doesn't apply.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ZJ3000

I completely agree with your comments, and others that have made similar remarks, I would like to add, as they improved Amex Gold the odds are most ppl have Plat mostly for lounge access, if the annual fee is not offset by credits card members will drop Amex main product, that would be a disaster for them, and the only solution is to make improvements to the card, I am expecting the AF to keep climbing year after year.
One last thought, IMO, the whole point of showers/Spa at lounges is to be used on arrival.ymmv
The whole point? I have only ever used the showers when connecting. Specifically when arriving on an international flight and waiting to connect to my final destination.

Of course, it it were true that the showers are mostly used by arrivals, then the policy change is good for me because it reduces the chances of having to wait for a shower
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ikwia
I know what their intent is, but this wording seems overly permissive...when you arrive at the airport for the first flight of your itinerary, you "[have] a connecting flight" (just not from that airport), which according to their policy means the 3 hour pre-departure limit doesn't apply.
Let us know how successful you are with that argument in practice
Steve M likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The whole point? I have only ever used the showers when connecting. Specifically when arriving on an international flight and waiting to connect to my final destination.

Of course, it it were true that the showers are mostly used by arrivals, then the policy change is good for me because it reduces the chances of having to wait for a shower
You are making the assumption that everyones needs and use cases are the same as yours. For many business travelers, there might be cases where their final destination is a city with a Cent Lounge. They arrive in the morning via a red eye flight, are not connecting anywhere else, and need to shower and freshen up prior to heading into the city for morning meetings. Totally legitimate use case. Just because it isn't your situation doesn't mean it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Regards
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:59 am

You are making the assumption that everyones needs and use cases are the same as yours. For many business travelers, there might be cases where their final destination is a city with a Cent Lounge. They arrive in the morning via a red eye flight, are not connecting anywhere else, and need to shower and freshen up prior to heading into the city for morning meetings. Totally legitimate use case. Just because it isn't your situation doesn't mean it shouldn't matter to anyone else.

Regards

I agree. Plus it was sure nice to grab a quick bite to eat on arrival.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regards
Agreed, but maybe read my post again? I disputed the claim that everyone’s use case and needs is to use the showers upon arrival (“whole point...”). I don’t make the claim that my use case is the only valid one.

To make it very clear, I don’t know what the more common use case is.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Feb 14, 2019 at 7:06 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
I could be more understanding of these new rules if they were during “peak” time only and not blanket.

Amex needs to work on delivering the products people expect rather than cutting it back to match what they have on hand currently.
ZJ3000 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ethan76
.... during “peak” time only ....
That's what they have been doing since December, how would you improve on the current practice ?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Originally Posted by mia
That's what they have been doing since December, how would you improve on the current practice ?

I had the impression beyond 29 March it will be blanket. I hope I am incorrect.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:54 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Amex needs to work on delivering the products people expect rather than cutting it back to match what they have on hand currently.
While I agree with you, I am not sure Amex does. This may be a feature rather than a bug.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 9:18 pm
mia

....beyond 29 March it will be blanket.
Correct, and your suggestion is that they continue doing exactly what they have been doing since December?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think the 3 hour limit is reasonable, and I would imagine Amex will be somewhat flexible with it. The fact you can hang out as long as necessary if you have a connecting flight helps significantly. What they are undoubtedly trying to avoid is someone checking out of the hotel at noon and sitting around from 1:30 until 11:30 PM in the Vegas lounge for example. I sympathize why people may wish to do that, but frankly that isn’t the purpose of any airport lounge primarily. If they were to extend this to people flying with connections, that would be problematic I think.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I think the 3 hour limit is reasonable, and I would imagine Amex will be somewhat flexible with it.
We have received reports of people here being rejected 10-15 minutes before the 3-hour mark, so it seems as though the lounge staff are not being flexible with it.
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by Majuki
....10-15 minutes before the 3-hour mark, so it seems as though the lounge staff are not being flexible with it.
This what I would expect now, because the policy is only implemented at peak periods. It could well be different when the policy is implemented at all times, and the attendants can see that admitting people a bit early at off hours won't contribute to crowding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.