Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Members same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a lap infant boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:42 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
True, but this is a scenario where you never really want 100% utilization, even at peak times. Electricity generation and distribution, cellular phone networks, mall parking lots, all fall into the same category.
We all pay higher prices for electricity and phone service to support the seldom used capacity necessary to handle peak demand. Lounge access doesn't seem sufficiently important to warrant the same service level.

The shopping mall parking lot analogy seems more appropriate. How satisfied would you be if American Express opened a second location at SFO in an inconvenient location, similar to a remote lot? For example, a landside lounge?
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
We all pay higher prices for electricity and phone service to support the seldom used capacity necessary to handle peak demand. Lounge access doesn't seem sufficiently important to warrant the same service level.

The shopping mall parking lot analogy seems more appropriate. How satisfied would you be if American Express opened a second location at SFO in an inconvenient location, similar to a remote lot? For example, a landside lounge?
I suspect that "inconvenient" or not is in the eyes of each individual. As an arrivals lounge, it would be perfect, as I could get my checked bags (if any) before heading there. And for people flying out of anything other than T3 or Int'l G, it would also be more convenient because it's one less security checkpoint to go through. As for a remote parking lot, it's the same thing. If it happens to be in a far corner of the mall where fewer people go, but my store is in that corner, it would be great. And in any case, during peak times of demand (weekend before Christmas for example), I will sometimes just go straight to the far end of the lot rather than fight for space close to the mall. At least having a remote lot gives you that choice.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
No I want an apology acknowledgement because the lounge is smaller than it needs to be, and because American Express is selling a product that it can't deliver.
Amex isn't selling you Centurion Lounge access. It's offering exclusive access as part of your membership, subject to availability. You should decide if the value proposition of the card makes sense pending on the crowding situation.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
Amex isn't selling you Centurion Lounge access. It's offering exclusive access as part of your membership, subject to availability. You should decide if the value proposition of the card makes sense pending on the crowding situation.

I respectfully disagree. The Platinum Card has alway been about lounge access. Otherwise, just get a Gold Card.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by wesheltonj
I respectfully disagree. The Platinum Card has alway been about lounge access. Otherwise, just get a Gold Card.
Yes, exclusive access to the Amex lounge, subject to availability.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
"Subject to availability" is pretty broad. Is it like a mall parking lot where is genuinely shocked if you cant find a spot? ("Once in a blue moon" was the statement, I believe?) Or is it more like a lottery ticket?

It's also not what I expect Amex to lead off with, especially as "world-leading customer service" is part of their brand image. They could have said "We understand crowding is an issue, particularly at SFO at peak times. Because of this, we are adjusting our access policies, such as limiting it to 3 hours before flight departure for originating passengers. We're very sorry that we were unable to accommodate you on your recent visit, and feedback from valued cardmembers like yourself that helps us inform these changes". That would have cost them exactly zero, and it would have left a far better taste in my mouth than saying that technically, they don't have to provide anything at all.

In the words of Ted Knight, "you'll get nothing - and like it!"
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
"Subject to availability" is pretty broad. Is it like a mall parking lot where is genuinely shocked if you cant find a spot? ("Once in a blue moon" was the statement, I believe?) Or is it more like a lottery ticket?

It's also not what I expect Amex to lead off with, especially as "world-leading customer service" is part of their brand image. They could have said "We understand crowding is an issue, particularly at SFO at peak times. Because of this, we are adjusting our access policies, such as limiting it to 3 hours before flight departure for originating passengers. We're very sorry that we were unable to accommodate you on your recent visit, and feedback from valued cardmembers like yourself that helps us inform these changes". That would have cost them exactly zero, and it would have left a far better taste in my mouth than saying that technically, they don't have to provide anything at all.

In the words of Ted Knight, "you'll get nothing - and like it!"
Well there IS another option. The policy could be that if the SFO lounge for example fills up completely (to the point where people are walking around unable to get a seat), then Amex would give you the OPTION of either being admitted to the Centurion and possibly having to take a while to get a seat, OR marking your account for reimbursement of a day pass to the United Club, so long as you use the Platinum card to pay for access. This accomplishes two things. For people going somewhere to sit down and relax, well, they get a place that they can actually sit down and relax (let's be honest, nobody goes to the United Club for food, and the only reason one would choose the United Club over the Centurion is for relaxation space). And it also incentivizes Amex to make sure that this situation really only happens once in a blue moon, because it's quite expensive.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Sounds like the right thing for you to do is cancel your Platinum card and use the money to purchase a United lounge membership. Amex isn't a lounge company, it's a charge card company. If I really wanted guaranteed lounge access, I'd just buy the United membership.

I look at the Amex lounges as a nicety and not a God-given right, and I'm paying $5000 a year in annual fees for two personal cards.

If I can get over it, you can too.
SP03, Statman, kennycrudup and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
Sounds like the right thing for you to do is cancel your Platinum card and use the money to purchase a United lounge membership. Amex isn't a lounge company, it's a charge card company. If I really wanted guaranteed lounge access, I'd just buy the United membership.
Then OP can switch to complaining about the seriously overcrowded United Clubs and food that's far inferior to what Amex offers
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Amex isn't a lounge company, it's a charge card company
Evidently so. They didn't exactly provide me with lounge access.

But I would argue that the Platinum is not primarily a charge card. One can get the exact same charge card privileges for $95 by going Green. It is marketed as a travel benefits card.

Kacee, I have a UC membership. For years - back when they were RCCs. And you are right, the food is better (at Centurions). And yes, they can be crowded. But I have only been turned away twice because of crowding in twenty years, yet it took the Centurion only a half dozen visits to do that.

Last edited by Miles Ahead; Feb 3, 2019 at 4:31 am
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:47 pm

I look at the Amex lounges as a nicety and not a God-given right, and I'm paying $5000 a year in annual fees for two personal cards.

If I can get over it, you can too.
Well, why would anyone hold the Platinum if not for Centurion lounge access? I guess I also hold it for Hilton Gold, SPG (soon to be Marriott) Gold, and Priority Pass. Well, not the last one anymore, because I also get that through my CSR card. And if I wanted to pay annual fees for Hilton Gold, there's the Aspire, which gives Diamond status instead of Gold, and is a way better deal because it provides enough fee rebates and room credits to more than pay for itself.

There's almost no reason to actually spend money on the Platinum card. Outside of Amex offers, I spend almost nothing on the card, and only recently did I start spending on airfares due to the 5x MR points/$ on airline spend, but most of my airline spend still goes on the CSR.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 5:58 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Well, why would anyone hold the Platinum if not for Centurion lounge access?
For the combination of benefits and rewards which is not offered by any other card. Yes, most of the individual benefits are available by carrying various other cards, but no other card approaches Platinum on total lounge access or status benefits.

However, it doesn't really matter if anyone would hold Platinum without Centurion lounge access, only if it represents good value for you.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:53 pm

Well, why would anyone hold the Platinum if not for Centurion lounge access? I guess I also hold it for Hilton Gold, SPG (soon to be Marriott) Gold, and Priority Pass. Well, not the last one anymore, because I also get that through my CSR card. And if I wanted to pay annual fees for Hilton Gold, there's the Aspire, which gives Diamond status instead of Gold, and is a way better deal because it provides enough fee rebates and room credits to more than pay for itself.

There's almost no reason to actually spend money on the Platinum card. Outside of Amex offers, I spend almost nothing on the card, and only recently did I start spending on airfares due to the 5x MR points/$ on airline spend, but most of my airline spend still goes on the CSR.
Since you spend almost nothing on the card, theres really no reason for Amex to care if you cancel the card.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by SP03

Since you spend almost nothing on the card, theres really no reason for Amex to care if you cancel the card.
The lost revenue from the annual fee is something that might matter to Amex. Whether it matters a lot or a little to them, it is at the very least "something" that would run contrary to "no reason".
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Finagler
The lost revenue from the annual fee is something that might matter to Amex. Whether it matters a lot or a little to them, it is at the very least "something" that would run contrary to "no reason".
The effective AF after subtracting the credits and benefits is quite low. I think AMEX cares more about the number of PLT card members than the annual fee contribution from someone who doesnt spend much on the card.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.