Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by damnyourefine
So, I booked a fully refundable ticket to a different destination on a flight with departure at T-2 hours and presented the boarding pass. They scanned it and let me in.
This is why we can’t have nice things.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
It’s hard to see how they would enforce the 3-hour limit. Maybe a few passengers stand out as basically living in the lounge, but they would be quite the exception.
Did the sign change? The restriction was 3 hours before departure, not 3 hours time limit.

The rule doesn't make as much sense when you consider that they don't remove anyone staying longer than three hours, or if your flight is delayed for any period of time they let you stay with no restrictions.

Because that's not the rule or restriction.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Troopers
Did the sign change? The restriction was 3 hours before departure, not 3 hours

Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:56 pm

Thanks @FriendlySkies. So restriction hasn't changed.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Troopers
Did the sign change? The restriction was 3 hours before departure, not 3 hours time limit.

Because that's not the rule or restriction.
I didn’t state this was the rule.

If they don’t make a distinction between staying longer than three hours due to a flight delay or schedule change or simply because you feel like it, they shouldn’t restrict entrance to threee hours before scheduled departure because that figure can change.

The goal is to prevent overcrowding of the lounge, but the manner in which they are attempting to achieve it is not user friendly and potentially unfair. If I arrive 4 hours before my flight’s departure time whether due to leisure, work, or an international layover, why should I not have the same access to the lounge as someone who has their flight delayed by one hour?

Bottomline is that AMEX changed the terms of use of the lounge and it’s no longer as convenient, but it’s still possible to use at one’s convenience.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The goal is to prevent overcrowding of the lounge, but the manner in which they are attempting to achieve it is not user friendly and potentially unfair. If I arrive 4 hours before my flight’s departure time whether due to leisure, work, or an international layover, why should I not have the same access to the lounge as someone who has their flight delayed by one hour?
Why? Because that's the rule. And it's working - quite a dramatically positive change, in fact.

We understand you don't think the rules should apply to you. If everyone followed your approach, we would be back to the zoo, with nowhere to sit and people standing in corners juggling plates of food. Fortunately most of us acknowledge the social utility of following rules which are designed for broader benefit.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I didn’t state this was the rule.

If they don’t make a distinction between staying longer than three hours due to a flight delay or schedule change or simply because you feel like it, they shouldn’t restrict entrance to threee hours before scheduled departure because that figure can change.

Bottomline is that AMEX changed the terms of use of the lounge and it’s no longer as convenient, but it’s still possible to use at one’s convenience.
There's a big distinction in predictability. You know you can't get in earlier than T-3:00. But you didn't expect that you would be needing to stay longer for a previously-unanticipated delay. It is much easier to deny initial admission than to round up people during a stay. What should AX do? Put collars on people that buzz and flash red lights at 3 hours?

As annoying as these rules may be, and as someone who has wandered aimlessly trying to find a humble seat in said lounge, we must all recall that this is all about the Fire Marshal. If AX makes an exception here and there, and the lounge happens to be at posted capacity +1, none of us will have a lounge to visit, whether 2 or 20 hours before the flight.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why? Because that's the rule. And it's working - quite a dramatically positive change, in fact.

We understand you don't think the rules should apply to you. If everyone followed your approach, we would be back to the zoo, with nowhere to sit and people standing in corners juggling plates of food. Fortunately most of us acknowledge the social utility of following rules which are designed for broader benefit.
Presenting a secondary boarding pass does not violate their rules so no, I do abide by the posted rule.

AMEX originally created these lounges as a hard product with no entrance restrictions beyond a valid same-day boarding pass. They could be used for arrivals or departures and you could arrive at any time. They allowed access to Centurion, Platinum, and buy-ups from any other AMEX card. Because AMEX provided such a great product and did not increase the lounge size to meet the demand generated by their issuance of Platinum cards, they began to take steps to address over-utilization. First, they limited the number of guests allowed to accompany a cardholder. Second, they removed the ability to buy-up access from standard AMEX cards. Most recently, they fundamentally changed the nature of the lounge utilization by designating them departure access only and with an entrance time-limit based upon flight departure time. They made this most recent change without notify in any form existing cardholders and travelers were only presented with the information after they already reached a lounge. It would have been nice if AMEX notified travelers before they made they change, but they weren't obligated to and they did not.

AMEX instituted a rule that strictly says entrance is restricted to T-3 from departure time. Presenting a boarding pass that meets this requirement doesn't violate the rule. This action allows me access to the lounge and abides by their policies. Not following your ethical code does not mean I don’t think ‘the rules apply to me’. This is where you need to make a distinction in your thinking.

For example, Steve Jobs was on multiple organ replacement lists because he had the means to be present in each of the states for which the lists existed. His means gave him increased agency. Did he violated any rules by doing so? No. Did he violate the ethical code of others? Yes.

Frankly, it is this type of attitude as to why people may refrain from participating here on FlyerTalk. Good day, sir.

Last edited by anteater; Dec 7, 2018 at 11:16 am
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:27 am
Suspended

Presenting a secondary boarding pass does not violate their rules so no, I do abide by the posted rule. Not following your ethical code does not mean I don’t think ‘the rules apply to me’. It’s this type of attitude as to why people likely refrain from participating here on FlyerTalk. Good day, sir.
Please. You abused an airline’s refund policy so you could circumvent a lounge’s entry policy.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami

Please. You abused an airline’s refund policy so you could circumvent a lounge’s entry policy.
Can you demonstrate or show as to where cancelling a fully refundable fare is violates an airline's T&Cs?
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:18 am

Can you demonstrate or show as to where cancelling a fully refundable fare is violates an airline's T&Cs?
He never said you violated any T&C's. He simply noted that you abused a refund policy to get into a lounge... It's just a weird flex to be pullin to get into a lounge.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:43 am
Suspended

You had no intention of flying. Please don't insult our intelligence here.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by mendezka
He never said you violated any T&C's. He simply noted that you abused a refund policy to get into a lounge... It's just a weird flex to be pullin to get into a lounge.
Abuse would be violating a T&C. I asked him to demonstrate how I violated it. There's usually a difference to how people assume a system or contract works and the defined rules of a system or contract.

Let's walk through the logic.
  • Denied entry to lounge due to T-3 departure restriction.
  • Query agent to ask if changing my travel and presenting a boarding pass that meets the T-3 departure restriction would grant access. Agent approves.
  • I book a fully-refundable ticket with a T-2 departure.
So, for all intents and purposes, I temporarily changed my travel plans for access to the lounge. Did I violate the lounge or airline's T&C? No. Whether it's ethical is a separate discussion and completely dependent on your individual beliefs.

Nonetheless, this discussion is digressing and clearly not contributing to the purpose of the thread, so I will not respond further. Have a nice Friday!
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:12 pm

SEA had the sign out yesterday and there were quite a few people milling around in the entry area. I think they were on a waitlist. As a Cent I went straight in and the reserved seating was available. It wasn't too crowded but there was a child infestation. There must have been 9 or 10 3-4 year olds and 4-5 older kids. Not that they don't have a right to be in there but the noise level was certainly elevated.

The DL lounge on the other hand was an Oasis compared to the Cent lounge. Very few people in it. My quick evaluation deduced that the Cent lounge was full of leisure travellers with Plat cards and kids in tow whereas the DL lounge were business travellers.

I guess the DL no guest policy on plat holders really thins the herd.

Maybe Amex and DL should swap locations
Statman likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdix
The DL lounge on the other hand was an Oasis compared to the Cent lounge. Very few people in it. My quick evaluation deduced that the Cent lounge was full of leisure travellers with Plat cards and kids in tow whereas the DL lounge were business travellers.

I guess the DL no guest policy on plat holders really thins the herd. Maybe Amex and DL should swap locations
Or maybe Amex should adopt the DL policy of no free guests, pay a per person fee whether they're your spouse or your kid or your friend that you don't like that much anyway. Because the DL policy for Plats isn't "no guests", it's "no guests for free". Big difference.

I don't even bother going to the Amex lounge at SEA if I'm flying DL.
Diplomatico likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.