Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gengar
As someone who puts a lot of spend on my Plat, a restriction based on spend would be inconsequential - but I'm not really convinced that will solve overcrowding problems, since it's only at specific peak times that overcrowding is an issue. There are plenty of times during the day even at, say, the SFO lounge that it isn't a problem finding a seat. I'd prefer a system that specifically addresses the peak overcrowding problem. I also don't think people who primarily visit at off-peak times should be punished.
a reservation system coupled with limits would address peak time crowding. You get a limited number of reservation slots you can use it for peak time if you want or if you don’t travel much you use it for whenever you want for a guaranteed spot.

But it also allow unlimited access based on availability. So you can decide when to reserve a spot vs taking a gamble on availability.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Talking about a set number of free entries per year for all Plat cardholders seems silly so long as the absurd Ameriprise loophole remains unaddressed. Without a doubt, the Ameriprise churner crowd is a major contributor to the crowding. I can't believe Amex hasn't put an end to it yet.
What is an "Ameriprise churner"
Old Oct 22, 2018, 5:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm
What is an "Ameriprise churner"
The people who open an Ameriprise Platinum, which has $0 annual fee in the first year, then close it before the AF hits a year later, and then promptly open another Ameriprise Plat with no AF in the first year.

Amazingly, Amex neither restricts people from doing this nor verifies eligibility — i.e., verifies that an applicant is actually an Ameriprise accountholder — at all.

Between the free Centurion visits and the various credits, this is money straight out of either Amex's or Ameriprise's pockets. Very strange that Amex has a team dedicated to cracking down on points loopholes while Amex's flagship product is being devalued in such a way.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
they can implement a reservation system, especially if you booked through amex travel service
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:13 am
Suspended

Absolutely nobody wants to deal with a reservation system for lounges — not Amex and certainly not the cardholders.

What happens if someone reserves a spot using one of their now-limited passes and then their flight is delayed? Tough luck? Need to file for a refund? Nobody wants to deal with that.

The last thing that should happen is any sort of limitation for primary cardholders. Guests, AUs, and the Ameriprise loophole should all get hit first. (And the business Plat's AF should be raised to match the personal's.)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Absolutely nobody wants to deal with a reservation system for lounges — not Amex and certainly not the cardholders.

What happens if someone reserves a spot using one of their now-limited passes and then their flight is delayed? Tough luck? Need to file for a refund? Nobody wants to deal with that.

The last thing that should happen is any sort of limitation for primary cardholders. Guests, AUs, and the Ameriprise loophole should all get hit first. (And the business Plat's AF should be raised to match the personal's.)
How would this be any different than a restaurant reservation? If you missed it for any reason, they’ll accommodate you if there’s capacity.

You “used” one of your reserved spots. So it’s used. And no refund.

Reservation is for guaranteed entry but it should still be open on a first come first serve basis sinilar to how it is now
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It's really such a simple issue to fix - during peak periods, ONE guest per member, NO corporate employee cards, period. Primary cardholder ONLY. NO families with multiple members. When the lounge reaches 95% of full capacity, NO guests period. Also, members who are in the lounge longer than 90 minutes during peak periods with a waiting list should be asked to move along and exit.

That means ONE lounge seat per each and every primary cardholder.

If that policy change doesn't fix the issue, then we know the lounges have a capacity issue based on bad planning.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Also, members who are in the lounge longer than 90 minutes during peak periods with a waiting list should be asked to move along and exit.
The DYKWIA stories that will come out of this, oh boy.
Robl and cuthroat like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SP03

How would this be any different than a restaurant reservation? If you missed it for any reason, they’ll accommodate you if there’s capacity.

You “used” one of your reserved spots. So it’s used. And no refund.

Reservation is for guaranteed entry but it should still be open on a first come first serve basis sinilar to how it is now
Airport lounges are supposed to be a convenience, not one more thing to worry about booking and/or canceling before a deadline. I don't make dinner reservations in airports, either.
krazykanuck and cuthroat like this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Unpopular opinion: leave the policies as-is. Introducing any complication will be a disaster. FTers are willing to jump through all sorts of hoops—but we're, what, 0.000001% of the traveling public?

Rather than change policies, keep it simple: raise the AF on cards with lounge access. It's a premium product compared to all other lounge networks in the US but Amex isn't pricing it appropriately. United charges $550/year for a UC membership, but a UC isn't nearly on the level of a Centurion lounge and that membership won't get you into Polaris lounges.

What on earth is wrong with Amex that they're priced the same as their competitors while offering a vastly superior product? *And* you get all the other benefits of a platinum card.

Add some travel benefits but no lounge access to the Gold card (FHR, concierge, insurance) and raise it to the $350-400 level, then bump the Plat to $650-750.

(I'd honestly be surprised if *that* many people take advantage of the Ameriprise loophole.)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:44 pm
Suspended

There are over 50 United Clubs and less than 10 Centurions, though. You're not making an apples-to-apples comparison.

Last edited by joe_miami; Oct 23, 2018 at 2:50 pm
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Add some travel benefits but no lounge access to the Gold card (FHR, concierge, insurance) and raise it to the $350-400 level,
This card would appeal to roughly 50 people. Why would people pay $400 for a Gold card with expanded travel benefits but not want Centurion access?

then bump the Plat to $650-750.
The Plat was just raised to $550 last year. Makes no sense to raise the Plat's AF again when the business Plat cardholders are still paying $100/year less, the Ameriprise people are paying $0, and various AUs and other guests are getting in for free.

(I'd honestly be surprised if *that* many people take advantage of the Ameriprise loophole.)
It's been all over the blogs for a couple years now. Whatever the number is, you can be sure they use the Centurion Lounges on a massively disproportionate basis.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold

It's been all over the blogs for a couple years now. Whatever the number is, you can be sure they use the Centurion Lounges on a massively disproportionate basis.
I'm one of those Ameriprise users, no not the churning kind, but I did pick up the card last December through ameriprise to try it out and see if I would indeed get all I wanted out of it. I am MIA based so have gotten good use of the Centurion Lounge, already had PP but still use it from this card occasionally. Count me to the list of people that can't imagine there are THAT many churners of this card out there. I for one, will not be doing that, I intend to keep the card and pay the fee in two months. I hate to think that the person at the Lounge desk thinks i'm abusing the system simply because I hold an ameriprise product. And yes, MIA is ridiculously small and overcrowd almost every time i go in there. It's gotten to where I will go in just to get my chocolate chip cookie and move on to the admirals club.
JONJON451 likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by miadukes
... I hate to think that the person at the Lounge desk thinks i'm abusing the system simply because I hold an ameriprise product. ...
If you're an Ameriprise client and you don't open a new card each year to avoid paying an annual fee, then you're not abusing the system. If you're not an Ameriprise client, you are "abusing the system." Simple as that.

Obviously, everyone tries to maximize value and all that, myself included. I just find it odd that Amex allows the Ameriprise loophole to remain, after it has cracked down on a long list of other things.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it is getting ridiculous for sure. No more using the SFO lounge when arriving ... honestly, they need to cut into the guest privilege, it will be the only way out.
krazykanuck and MCIUnitedGuy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.