Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Members same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a lap infant boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by dhuey
Which kids booze it up more and leave more food on their plates: Latinos or Chinese? Asking for a business traveler friend.
Doesn't that depend on where they are from ?
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by HMPS
Doesn't that depend on where they are from ?
Yes, this could get complicated. Maybe the best thing is to ban all guests and rename the lounges Amex Road Warrior Respite.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Troopers
So, what's your guess on the makeup of the crowd?

% solo business travelers
% families with strollers
Probably Clinique or MAC. Odd question.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by kb9522
I don't know their situation, but apparently you do?

Pretty sure toddlers don't have their own plat cards. This is an obvious case of guesting gone out of control.

This kind of thing is what amex should be addressing. It's okay if they want to do it piecemeal, as long as they do it.
How often do you use the lounge? Because if youre in it on average more than the sum total of that family, youre more the problem than they are.

I have no stake in this because I have no kids, but I strongly suspect individual business travelers consume a lot more lounge space per card than families who travel for leisure once or twice a year.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:25 pm

Yes, this could get complicated. Maybe the best thing is to ban all guests and rename the lounges Amex Road Warrior Respite.
But then they will have to redue the $ 550 fee ! ( I don't mind!)
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by chrisremo
How often do you use the lounge? Because if youre in it on average more than the sum total of that family, youre more the problem than they are.

I have no stake in this because I have no kids, but I strongly suspect individual business travelers consume a lot more lounge space per card than families who travel for leisure once or twice a year.
The aggregate is irrelevant. On any given day, I occupy less space in a lounge than the large family pigging out at the buffet.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
The aggregate is irrelevant. On any given day, I occupy less space in a lounge than the large family pigging out at the buffet.
As mia pointed out: "a Flyertalk thread is to exchange information and ideas, not to persuade another member to change her opinion."

I guess there is nothing I can say.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Probably Clinique or MAC. Odd question.
How so?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:13 am

I think I follow you now. Six > one, therefore you should be free to live in the lounge, and that piggy family should find an Applebee's before their two family trips each year.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:18 am

I think I follow you now. Six > one, therefore you should be free to live in the lounge, and that piggy family should find an Applebee's before their two family trips each year.
Correct. The cost of entry for non-cardholders is too low. The cost of entry for authorized users is also too low (obviously).

An argument could (should) be made that it's too low for plats as well, but this is the first step on the way to addressing that.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by rpk113
So I've just read all 69 pages of this thread and to recap:

All business travelers appear to hate the following:
-Children
-Grandparents
-Latin Americans
-rainbows
-unicorns

Everyone else hates:
-Statistics that tell them they are inferior to business travelers

Did I sum it up about right?
You forgot to say " Ban all of the above" so we "true Road Warriors can be left alone to guzzling more booze" !
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:45 am

Correct. The cost of entry for non-cardholders is too low. The cost of entry for authorized users is also too low (obviously).

An argument could (should) be made that it's too low for plats as well, but this is the first step on the way to addressing that.
So we have group A and group B causing overcrowding problems. We should limit A's access and let B in however much they want. And by happy coincidence, you are in group B.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:02 pm

Personally I think the changes should have been:

Platinum +1 guest
Centurion +2 and/or immediate family

Just an observation on my part but I was sitting near the entrance to IAH lounge on Monday and there appeared to be quite a few Plat +2's coming in.

Nobody was refused so either they weren't enforcing the no more day pass or there weren't any.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:05 pm

there's no way they will limit plat visits. Centurion lounges are a marketing ploy to drive cardholder numbers. restricting centurion lounges diminishes the perceived value even if the freebie limit is more than they would ever use. It looks like amex would rather build larger lounges than cut into the perceived value.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:09 pm

So we have group A and group B causing overcrowding problems. We should limit A's access and let B in however much they want. And by happy coincidence, you are in group B.
It's much simpler than that. Group A takes up more space than Group B... Group A should pay accordingly. More specifically a unit (family, group, etc) from Group A takes up more space than a unit (individual) from Group B.

Sorry to disappoint, but there is nothing to be offended about here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.