Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by MDJennings
So if you cancel your Plat, you won't get 5x on airfare. Feel free to take that to Chase if the elimination of absolutely free CL access will cause you to cancel the card.

Amex also has to pay SPG, IHG, etc for the Gold status they give you too. Yes, you probably are organically SPG Plat, but it's still money that Amex has to shell out.

With the supposed 1.3M Plat card holders worldwide, what percentage of them do you think visit a CL even once a month? Based on the threads showing excitement over a metal card, I'm willing to bet there are many times more people holding the Plat simply for the, "prestige," than simply for CL access.
I wouldn't call CL access "absolutely free". Thats why I'm paying $550/yr. I also pay $450/yr for the United Club and if United limited my access for that I would also cancel.

I'm not saying the road warrior like myself isn't part of the problem. Everybody in the lounge is part of the problem
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I wouldn't call CL access "absolutely free". Thats why I'm paying $550/yr. I also pay $450/yr for the United Club and if United limited my access for that I would also cancel.

I'm not saying the road warrior like myself isn't part of the problem. Everybody in the lounge is part of the problem
All of you that don't have a Centurion card are part of the problem. They need to make a small Platinum Playpen off to the side so those without Cents can be inspired to spend more.
GNALUZU and HMPS like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:49 pm

All of you that don't have a Centurion card are part of the problem. They need to make a small Platinum Playpen off to the side so those without Cents can be inspired to spend more.
True. There are many platinum card holders but they bring in the $$.

Also, the truly Centurion card holders fly private and/or have own plane.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
I put all airfare on the card for 5x and any large purchases for insurance. Otherwise, AMEX doesn't incentive me to put any other spend on the card. With that said I've spent ~28K on the Platinum to date, which isn't really a dent in the grand scheme of things but its more than a "lounge pass" card. I also spend across other AMEX cards.
That is partly my point. If you are spending the majority of your money elsewhere, maybe the incentive should be to spend with Amex to get additional lounge visits.
MDJennings likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
American Express is a publicly traded company. No one is really interested in the profitability of individual customers. Investors and analysts look at metrics including the number of accounts open, fee revenue, etc in addition to net income. American Express sells access to cardholders through programs such as Amex Offers, Fine Hotels and Resorts.
I get the idea that nobody is interested in individual customers, but if you remove the customers that do not make you money, other metrics will improve.

There are only so many seats in a lounge, and building additional capacity does cost money and has recurring costs, so having customers who just have the card to visit a lounge every Monday and Friday cannot be helpful to any metric.

And if you can convince them to spend more on the card, to get more lounge visits, it will help too.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by drwilliams
That is partly my point. If you are spending the majority of your money elsewhere, maybe the incentive should be to spend with Amex to get additional lounge visits.
Limited passes with additional granted with spend is a valid way to control crowding. If that were the case, I'd cancel as it doesn't work for me. I'm sure people at AMEX are thinking of way to limit access (or on the flip side, secure more space).

We'll all go in the family room
MDJennings likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: Free Agent
AMEX is hitting the right notes for us 'free agents' who can't be bothered to play the airline etc loyalty 'game'.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
i think we can all agree that the crowding is mostly the fault of whatever demographic we are not part of!
rpk113, GNALUZU, DMPHL and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Adam1222
No they don't. They drink more and cost more per visit, and don't spend as much on their credit cards.
The family of four drinks more? Seriously? More than whom? Have you seen some youngsters boozing it up while they travel with their parents? Mom and Dad getting hammered as they travel with their kids?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by se7en_z
True. There are many platinum card holders but they bring in the $$.

Also, the truly Centurion card holders fly private and/or have own plane.
Actually, it would mainly be guys with PB cards. I'm usually booking with Atlantic.

The Cent just says you probably spent $250,000 (and paid it off) in one year. A PB card says you have at the very least $5-20M in assets.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:31 pm

Limited passes with additional granted with spend is a valid way to control crowding. If that were the case, I'd cancel as it doesn't work for me. I'm sure people at AMEX are thinking of way to limit access (or on the flip side, secure more space).

We'll all go in the family room
Out of curiosity though, what card would you then put your direct airline spend if you cancelled your Plat? 5X is hard to beat even with the CSR out there.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dhuey
The family of four drinks more? Seriously? More than whom? Have you seen some youngsters boozing it up while they travel with their parents? Mom and Dad getting hammered as they travel with their kids?
Yes, I have. Unfortunately.
Leisure travelers are far more likely to eat and drink to excess than frequent business travelers.
The large piles of plates of uneaten food are more likely to come from a family of four than a business traveler.
Although the loudest, drunkest guests I've ever seen was a group of 8 senior citizens en route to a Viking River Cruise.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:05 pm

Out of curiosity though, what card would you then put your direct airline spend if you cancelled your Plat? 5X is hard to beat even with the CSR out there.
I'd just consolidate to my CSR where all my other travel/dining already is. While I do spend a decent amount on airfare, it isn't that much as 90% of my work flights are booked through a company portal (with few exceptions). The 5x is definitely a welcome addition, but the primary driver for me of the Platinum card is CL access. I have to pay out of pocket for all of these cards and other travel perks. So I really evaluate if its working for me or not. I don't get a comp'ed corporate card like many other business travelers.
DMPHL and MDJennings like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Yes, I have. Unfortunately.
Leisure travelers are far more likely to eat and drink to excess than frequent business travelers.
The large piles of plates of uneaten food are more likely to come from a family of four than a business traveler.
Although the loudest, drunkest guests I've ever seen was a group of 8 senior citizens en route to a Viking River Cruise.
I'll keep an eye out for Mom, Dad & the kids getting wasted in the Centurion lounge. I haven't seen that many kids in the lounges, and best I can tell, neither they nor their parents were getting hammered. But I'll have my iPhone at the ready to document it, should I see it. Thanks for the tip.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by dhuey
I'll keep an eye out for Mom, Dad & the kids getting wasted in the Centurion lounge. I haven't seen that many kids in the lounges, and best I can tell, neither they nor their parents were getting hammered. But I'll have my iPhone at the ready to document it, should I see it. Thanks for the tip.
Well said...As a non drinker I stick to Coke. Amex will never go BK with patrons like me !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.