Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
they can build a second dfw lounge in another terminal
Old Oct 21, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
AMEX could award ten complimentary lounge visits per calendar year plus one visit per every 5,000 MR points accrued over a year period. If someone has ten visits, they could use it ten different times for themselves during the year. Perhaps there could be four guests max or some type of policy to curb overcrowding from one cardholder. Each swipe would equal a visit.

If someone wants more visits, they would need to accrue more MR points/spend.

I have no problem with someone who runs $1MM per year across their PLAT card getting more visits awarded (200), as they contribute to AMEX's bottom line more than someone paying $550AF, putting all their spend on a CSR, and hitting up the Cl with two other friends every time they are in the airport.
That’s a good option on including X number of passes per year for Platinums, as you can associate a value with them. I wouldn’t go down the earn 5K MR route for more though, you could offer the option to redeem 5K MR for additional passes.

And with you on those that pay the AF, and then put all the spend elsewhere; they’ll probably be first to complain should any access changes happen. I think the AF is actually low given what you get.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
As I was checking into IAH this morning there was a family of 4, parents and 2 stroller age kids, where they hadn't got the memo. I overheard the guy say "we were lead to believe it was good for both of us and any number of kids under 18..." and the rep said "sir that changed quite a while ago." They wound up leaving rather than pay the $50.

The lounge was busier than I expected for 8 am on a Sunday, but what else is new.
dw, ESpen36, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
As I was checking into IAH this morning there was a family of 4, parents and 2 stroller age kids, where they hadn't got the memo. I overheard the guy say "we were lead to believe it was good for both of us and any number of kids under 18..." and the rep said "sir that changed quite a while ago." They wound up leaving rather than pay the $50.

The lounge was busier than I expected for 8 am on a Sunday, but what else is new.
Glad the rules are actually being enforced.
dw, IndyHoosier and SeaHawg like this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by 4aks
they can build a second dfw lounge in another terminal
DFW is bidding a new lounge space in Terminal E.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Fiordland
This is the kind of "problem" that AMEX (or any business) should wish to have. IF the number of platinum cards is way up, people at AMEX head office should be celebrating and going over the desk of the person reasonable for new lounges says what can we do to gt more of these up and running more quickly. These lounges are all in major airports with multiple terminals. Just build more lounges.
Demand of a benefit does not necessarily correlate into profit. Running a lounge at an airport is no cheap feat. Real estate is not unlimited either. There absolutely comes a time when a large lounge footprint is not in their best business interest. The question is, how do they manage this properly? I highly doubt it will involve any restriction against the business traveler. My best guess is the "family" traveler will take the biggest hit.
notquiteaff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I don’t think business travelers are necessarily bigger spenders or more profitable customers. Most consulting companies offer their employees a credit to get lounge access either in the form of a memebership or a credit card with lounge access. The road warriors who are accessing the lounge every week are prob much less profitable then families who travel a lot.

Keep in mind that benefits have no costs to AMEX unless it’s used. How many times can families really be traveling?

Im in favor of limits. Selfishly I hope the limits are applied equally to all cardmembers. But I wouldn’t complain if access is somehow correlated with spend. So the more you spend the more access you get.
IndyHoosier and SeaHawg like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Exactly ^^

CL access should correlate to spend after a certain point. I have no issue whatsoever if a cardholder who runs $100K per month across their AMEX wants to bring their family in before a flight if they have enough passes to do so. If AMEX could develop a formula that awards visits based on spend, it would thin the herd significantly. Another wrinkle could be to give Centurion holders unlimited access, PLAT/BPLAT holders 10 passes per year plus 1 pass for every $5K AMEX spend, and any other AMEX cardholder 1 pass per $7,500 AMEX spend or something like that. This perk could be system-wide and linked to your member number. Anyone with an AMEX card and no passes wishing to access the CL would pay $50, and non-AMEX members would pay $59 (just like at a SkyClub).

Authorized users would have access based on how many visits the primary cardholder has accrued.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Exactly ^^

PLAT/BPLAT holders 10 passes per year plus 1 pass for every $5K AMEX spend, and any other AMEX cardholder 1 pass per $7,500 AMEX spend or something like that. This perk could be system-wide and linked to your member number.
Equating $5k in spend to a single pass is ridiculous, at that point you might as well buy 100 day passes which would be more than enough for you and your entire family + friends. If anything like this was implemented I would cancel my card, considering i don't even live in a city with a CL and would not want to ration my lounge uses each year.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Various
Why is it ridiculous? You'd get 10 passes for free, and the passes are for guests and then if you needed more you can either:
a) pay for access in cash
b) pay for access using MR - I'd suggest 5k MR (which would align to the $5k spend aspect)
c) use one of the additional passes you've got for spending $5k+ in increments. The $5k spend could be on anything - if you're not spending $5k+ per year then why would AmEx need to keep you happy beyond the 10 passes you've got for free.

In your case, you'd get access for free as the cardholder but you'd need to ration your guests if you don't want to pay MR or $, or don't spend more than $5k+.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by safari ari
Equating $5k in spend to a single pass is ridiculous, at that point you might as well buy 100 day passes which would be more than enough for you and your entire family + friends. If anything like this was implemented I would cancel my card, considering i don't even live in a city with a CL and would not want to ration my lounge uses each year.
i don’t live in a city with CL either. But why does that matter - my travel often takes me to or through airports with CLs.

Personally, I would rather have a fixed number of visits (expandable through spend) that I can count on than an unlimited number of visits that either come with restrictions (no access until 2 hrs before dept) or are unusable/unpredictable due to over-crowding. And yes, it might shift some spend to my Plat card if the quota is too low for my needs.

(of course, those folks who visit the CL more often than their own kitchen will disagree... like the guy who sat me to me in Philly a few weeks ago and proudly told the new Amex staffer cleaning up the tables that “he’s a regular, here three or four times a week”.)
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As someone who puts a lot of spend on my Plat, a restriction based on spend would be inconsequential - but I'm not really convinced that will solve overcrowding problems, since it's only at specific peak times that overcrowding is an issue. There are plenty of times during the day even at, say, the SFO lounge that it isn't a problem finding a seat. I'd prefer a system that specifically addresses the peak overcrowding problem. I also don't think people who primarily visit at off-peak times should be punished.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I would rather ration my visit than have unlimited, unpredictable access.

I don't know what a typical member uses, but my guess would be 10 or less a year. AMEX has all the data it needs to correlate usage with profitability and determine the optimal number of included visits per year to maximize cardholder benefit while minimizing crowding.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Demand of a benefit does not necessarily correlate into profit. Running a lounge at an airport is no cheap feat. Real estate is not unlimited either. There absolutely comes a time when a large lounge footprint is not in their best business interest. The question is, how do they manage this properly? I highly doubt it will involve any restriction against the business traveler. My best guess is the "family" traveler will take the biggest hit.
Is the Demand driven by the fact there are more card members or are the existing card members using the lounge more? I think it is driven by more card members. That would dictate more and bigger lounges are needed.

With a Canadian Platinum card, the membership also includes complimentary access to Priority Pass lounges world wide. The Canadian AMEX lounges are really Plaza Premium lounges with AMEX co-branding. Getting more of these third party lounges going into US airports may also be a solution.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Talking about a set number of free entries per year for all Plat cardholders seems silly so long as the absurd Ameriprise loophole remains unaddressed. Without a doubt, the Ameriprise churner crowd is a major contributor to the crowding. I can't believe Amex hasn't put an end to it yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.