Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelStar
I still think the solution is to limit free visits to maybe 3 to 5 per year. After that, paid visits.
No chance. Frequent travelers are in the airport every week. And these are in many respects AMEX's target audience due to travel spend and use of ancillary AMEX services (e.g., AMEX travel). There would be a massive uproar among exactly the customers AMEX is trying to court.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mia
Centurion is an American Express trademark used on a wide range of products: travelers cheques, some credit cards and all charge cards (green, gold, plum, platinum, black). Centurion branding was used on airport lounges located outside the USA before the domestic network was created. There is no direct connection between the "Centurion Card" and "Centurion Lounges".
There's power in branding. If you Google a brand name, what do you expect? In this case, searching "American Express Centurion" you find no mention of travelers cheques, and their card portfolio. You largely see the lounges and the black card. I agree that there is no connection between the lounge and the card, and that is part of the problem. Some may say that it is just a marketing strategy, but I believe it is more.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:03 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by Super Mario
I don't know if I fully believe it is in their best interest to expand these lounges, for a number of reasons. Some, maybe. I suppose if all of the customers being turned away are worth the extra expense, then it might make sense. I don't have the numbers to know. We believe that being a "customer" of anything makes you super-important. That is far from the case. I'd be willing to bet there's a good number of guests entering that don't warrant expensive Airport expansion.
The Centurion lounge network is one of the few distinguishing features of the platinum card that cannot be reproduced cheaper by Chase and US Bank, which are much larger companies with much deeper pockets. I know people who keep the platinum rather than Sapphire Reserve just for this reason. If Amex neglects their own lounges, there will be little reason for people to keep the platinum card. Amex does not want to upset millions of platinum card members in order to make the lounge less crowded for a few thousand centurion card holders.

Why would someone continue to pay the Centurion card annual fee to share a crowded lounge with kids and families? What is the reason for holding this card? I'd cancel in a heartbeat.
Do/did you have a Centurion or platinum card? Have you cancelled it?

Centurion should remain a premium brand available to Centurion card holders and maybe those who hit a minimum spend on eligible cards. If American Express wants to be in the mass-market lounge game, they should open a mass-market lounge brand separate from Centurion.
I don't think there are enough centurion cardholders to justify a lounge network. While they may be very profitable customers, there are not enough of them. It might seem like strange marketing, but the "Centurion" brand has value, and Amex is trying to capitalize on it. It may tarnish the brand to some extent, but I don't think that is significant. As the lounge network grows, the target market changes.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cbn42
The Centurion lounge network is one of the few distinguishing features of the platinum card that cannot be reproduced cheaper by Chase and US Bank, which are much larger companies with much deeper pockets. I know people who keep the platinum rather than Sapphire Reserve just for this reason. If Amex neglects their own lounges, there will be little reason for people to keep the platinum card. Amex does not want to upset millions of platinum card members in order to make the lounge less crowded for a few thousand centurion card holders.
How can the Centurion lounge experience not be reproduced? There is nothing proprietary about it. US Bancorp is just as big of a company as AMEX. JP Morgan Chase has 4x the market cap. Chase can afford to completely overshadow the Centurion lounge, but why should they? I also "know people" who choose the Sapphire Reserve over the Platinum because of its benefits. It's popularity exploded, it pressured American Express, and it didn't need big, expensive, lounges.

American Express had their worst quarterly earnings in a long time in January. These kinds of things usually result in all kinds of finger pointing and excuses. They did clearly mention that their rewards costs are going higher, and that the Platinum card is costing them a lot. I think that at least warrants some kind of questioning into the model and its sustainability.

Do/did you have a Centurion or platinum card? Have you cancelled it?
I do not have one. I wanted to like it, but it wasn't the best fit for me. As you pointed out, the Centurion is huge a benefit some of its card holders. To how many that is a deal-breaker, we don't know. There are people canceling it because the lounge experience is not up to their standards. Again, how many, we don't know. Is it significant? Maybe, maybe it. It is problematic when a credit card must be propped up by a untraditional, expensive, credit card perk. It also can be concerning to where the long-time American Express ideal customer is feeling alienated. But is that customer what they want to target anymore?

I don't think there are enough centurion cardholders to justify a lounge network. While they may be very profitable customers, there are not enough of them. It might seem like strange marketing, but the "Centurion" brand has value, and Amex is trying to capitalize on it. It may tarnish the brand to some extent, but I don't think that is significant. As the lounge network grows, the target market changes.
Maybe you are right. Who knows for sure. There is lots of change going on right now. They've never had much direct competition with premium credit cards. Perhaps it's no coincidence that the CEO decided it was time to retire. The company is also mentioned lowering its merchant fees. It looks like they really want to reinvent themselves.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 2:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Chase or Citi could build a network of airport lounges, but they have not. I do not foresee American Express backing away from this benefit. American Express financial results published in January 2018 were better than expected, and they have announced new Centurion lounge locations at JFK, DEN and soon LAX. The Platinum annual fee increase from $450 to $550 comfortably covers the cost of the lounge network.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

How can the Centurion lounge experience not be reproduced? There is nothing proprietary about it. US Bancorp is just as big of a company as AMEX. JP Morgan Chase has 4x the market cap. Chase can afford to completely overshadow the Centurion lounge, but why should they?
Getting real estate in major airports is not easy. It has now been 5 years since the Centurion lounge network was launched and Amex has 9 lounges. I doubt Chase or US Bank could do it much faster.

I also "know people" who choose the Sapphire Reserve over the Platinum because of its benefits. It's popularity exploded, it pressured American Express, and it didn't need big, expensive, lounges.
From what I can tell, its popularity exploded because of the 100k and 75k sign-up offers, not because of the benefits. Of course people have different reasons for getting a card, but many of the people who initially signed up did not keep the card for a second year.

American Express had their worst quarterly earnings in a long time in January. These kinds of things usually result in all kinds of finger pointing and excuses. They did clearly mention that their rewards costs are going higher, and that the Platinum card is costing them a lot. I think that at least warrants some kind of questioning into the model and its sustainability.
Of course it warrants discussion. I think they already responded by raising the fee on the platinum card. This will reduce the number of cardholders and alleviate overcrowding.

I do not have one. I wanted to like it, but it wasn't the best fit for me.
In that case, no offense but your opinion is probably not of interest to Amex. They are more concerned with what their actual cardholders think, and whether they are likely to cancel.

As you pointed out, the Centurion is huge a benefit some of its card holders. To how many that is a deal-breaker, we don't know. There are people canceling it because the lounge experience is not up to their standards.
Are there? I haven't seen any evidence of this. We all know that people like to complain about every little thing on Flyertalk, but in reality, I think this problem is exaggerated. I would be very surprised if anything more than a minuscule number of people are canceling the card solely because of the lounge experience. Even if the experience is not perfect, it is usually the best option in a given terminal.

Maybe you are right. Who knows for sure. There is lots of change going on right now. They've never had much direct competition with premium credit cards. Perhaps it's no coincidence that the CEO decided it was time to retire. The company is also mentioned lowering its merchant fees. It looks like they really want to reinvent themselves.
Yes, in the end we really don't know. They have more data than we do. But one thing for sure is that they are not going to be able to rest on their laurels and remain complacent like they have in the past, because there is now more competition in the premium market. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:02 pm
BCH

Back to the original topic, I visited the PHL lounge twice last week, and both times it was maybe about 25-30% full in the morning (10am first time, 11am second time). Terrific food, too.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cbn42
From what I can tell, its popularity exploded because of the 100k and 75k sign-up offers, not because of the benefits.
Seriously. It had a cash equivalent sign up bonus of $1000. That's enough to get anybody in the know to sign up for it. I got it for me and got my mom to get it. I would have signed up my cat but he doesn't have a SSN. One of my former colleagues who got it for both him and his wife, and subsequently downgraded them, lamented that he couldn't get another 2 card in each of his 2 kids names since it was such a good bonus. This colleague is a churner through and through, too. He was the only one I knew IRL blasting through the Citi Exec 100k links back 3-4 years ago.

Their rewards spending has definitely increased, but if you actually looked at their 10K SEC filing like I have, you'd see that most of the drag on their net income is the always nebulous Income Tax line item. Ironically driven by the tax law passed late in 2017. Income from swipe fees is up YoY. Spend over the Amex network was up YoY. Average spend per cardholder was up YoY.

If you don't believe me you're welcome to read for yourself here on the US Securities and Exchange Commission website: https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/d...axp201710k.htm
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
"The lounge is quite packed today" - SFO check in agent

Nothing new here.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:18 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JHake10

Nothing new here.
Yep, I was there Tuesday early afternoon and got the last table in the back
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BCH
Back to the original topic, I visited the PHL lounge twice last week, and both times it was maybe about 25-30% full in the morning (10am first time, 11am second time). Terrific food, too.
I also like the PHL lounge. It has the friendliest people working at the airport. This lounge is the only reason I'm keeping my AMEX card. I do majority of my spending on Chase.

I may not be the most profitable customer for AMEX in terms of spending, but my membership fee basically pays for lounge access.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by United747

Yep, I was there Tuesday early afternoon and got the last table in the back
I got a bite to eat and left to go to the United Club. No issues finding a seat and much quieter. I noticed on the WiFi card there is a link to take a survey now. I filled that out.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
I got a bite to eat and left to go to the United Club. No issues finding a seat and much quieter. I noticed on the WiFi card there is a link to take a survey now. I filled that out.
What are they asking on the survey?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold

Nothing new here.
More than a few empty seats in SFO lounge at the moment. I guess people have cleared out for the weekend.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I got a bite to eat and left to go to the United Club.
That's what I do now . . . Centurion for food, UC for a decent seat and amazing wifi.

I'm hopeful Polaris lounge will reduce Centurion lounge crowding a bit (but suspect it won't).
JHake10 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.