Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:50 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kthpence
... experience with getting a drink or meal refunded from AMEX if they tried to go to a lounge & it was too packed to enter...
Not precisely the same problem, but at Centurion Lounge Las Vegas:

Originally Posted by dlnewbie
... lounge was closed due to water heater issues. ($10 AMEX Gift Card Issued)

Last edited by mia; Oct 31, 2017 at 5:07 pm
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Citi actually does have its own lounges. And Chase kind of does with the pop-up holiday lounges for MPE card holders.

- $550 minus $200
- Uber benefit is arguable, since there's evidence that Uber charges people with Plats linked higher fares than regular customers
- Global entry reimbursement is at most worth $100 every 5 years. So… $20/year.
- 5x points on airfare, but no travel insurance, so you're still better off putting the purchase on Citi Prestige or at least CSR
- Interest rate is irrelevant… if you're carrying a balance you shouldn't be using credit cards.

Net you're paying $320/yr for… emergency medical evac insurance and good customer service. And the lounges. That's the only thing bringing real value here.

Don't get me wrong, I still do it. But if it weren't for that, I wouldn't be that interested.
Or,,,using your math, $120 if you have the Schwab Platinum and a million dollars in assets at Schwab. I do agree with you on putting air on Prestige or CSR for the insurance. The only 2 times I have used the Platinum for air travel was on returns from Europe when I bought business class upgrades at the airport just before the flights.
I do like and have used the Platinum Roadside Assistance. CSR is $50.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:15 am
mia

Originally Posted by KDS777
How can this be substantiated....
There is discussion in this thread. I would characterize it as inconclusive:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ch-2017-a.html
Old Nov 2, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: Lost it all and don't care
Thx for the link, as I was just searching Google, and nothing came up.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:24 am
mia

Moderator action

Further discussion of Uber pricing moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ch-2017-a.html
Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: TK*G OZ*G AA Plat
I had my first visit to a Centurion lounge this week, as I haven't been in any airports recently that feature them.

I was at IAH at 7am on a Monday morning and it was very pleasant. I'd say about 15 people in there, and the lounge staff were very friendly. Not crowded at all, which surprised me since it's the start of the business week.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jfidler
I had my first visit to a Centurion lounge this week, as I haven't been in any airports recently that feature them.

I was at IAH at 7am on a Monday morning and it was very pleasant. I'd say about 15 people in there, and the lounge staff were very friendly. Not crowded at all, which surprised me since it's the start of the business week.
IAH seems to be the least crowded from my experience. I've seen it fill up, but nowhere to the levels of SFO. At SFO they have a dedicated person asking people "can this couple sit with you" at peak times.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:19 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion of Plaza Premium lounge at LHR T5 moved:

AMEX Platinum card and Plaza Premium lounges

Last edited by mia; Nov 13, 2017 at 6:46 am
Old Nov 13, 2017, 12:58 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's not just about who can qualify for a card; it's also about the image of those who get and use a card.

Paying with a card with an image of having a very high membership fee and being mainly for those with relatively substantial disposable income to spend on travel? That is considered a status symbol of sorts.

We all might not consider it to be a status symbol, but some consider it to be so. I've had some people rather surprised that I would have (i.e., have and/or pay to have) an Amex Platinum -- under the implied presumption that it's an expensive card which isn't financially practical for most consumers and that maybe I'm not who they thought me to be.
I have the Amerprise Amex Platinum and there is no fee the first year. So there is no high fee. I have only used it for the airline gift cards to be reimbursed. As if I want points the PRG will give me more. All my airfare is free through sign-up bonuses.

Don't see the point of the status symbol. It is just a charge card.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 1:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by atomicfront
I have the Amerprise Amex Platinum and there is no fee the first year. So there is no high fee. I have only used it for the airline gift cards to be reimbursed. As if I want points the PRG will give me more. All my airfare is free through sign-up bonuses.

Don't see the point of the status symbol. It is just a charge card.
That’s a card with no high first year fee (or with the first year fee waived), but to keep that card account as the same kind of Platinum card will cost relatively high card fee after the first year. This isn’t to say that the renewal fee is a horrible value, but it’s on the high cost end for most consumers potentially eligible for the card.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
9:30 AM on a Monday and we're looking at standing room only at SFO. Everytime I come here it's packed.

Update: line to check in now with more people coming up the elevator.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Uf - SFO

I was in SFO the other day and it was standing room only. So many people and I wonder if AMEX need to expand this lounge. It is a turn off when you see people lounging around taking two seats one for them and one for their carry on and on top of that have shoes off showing their nasty toenails!
Not fun!

Originally Posted by JHake10
9:30 AM on a Monday and we're looking at standing room only at SFO. Everytime I come here it's packed.

Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JHake10

This thread has over 1,000 posts and has been running for going on three years. Crowding in Centurion Lounges is not likely to get better... ever.

Regards
Old Nov 13, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by klakhav
I was in SFO the other day and it was standing room only. So many people and I wonder if AMEX need to expand this lounge. It is a turn off when you see people lounging around taking two seats one for them and one for their carry on and on top of that have shoes off showing their nasty toenails!
Not fun!
We call those types of people seat hogs... There is a special website to shame them:

http://seathogs.com/

They rank right up there with the scum who stand on the left side of the escalator.
hockeystl likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by scubadu
This thread has over 1,000 posts and has been running for going on three years. Crowding in Centurion Lounges is not likely to get better... ever.

Regards
I think it might get better if competition from Amex forces the legacy airlines to improve their lounges. Those legacy lounges seem to have improved significantly in recent years, and I'm guessing that Amex has had something to do with that.
m.photog likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.