Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dhuey
So we have group A and group B causing overcrowding problems. We should limit A's access and let B in however much they want. And by happy coincidence, you are in group B.
I made the point that leisure travelers consume more booze than business travelers, and 90% of my travel is leisure. So, no.

Making assumptions about the motives of people who disagree with you may not be the best move. Perhaps people are just having a good faith disagreement about facts that neither side has actual data beyond observation on.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I Perhaps people are just having a good faith disagreement about facts that neither side has actual data beyond observation on.
without visit data this is all just disagreements based on conjecture. the fact that the holders of the data (amex) haven't instituted visit limits but rather increased the size of the lounges should say the most
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by kb9522
Sorry to disappoint, but there is nothing to be offended about here.
No worries -- I'm amused, not offended.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by cplush
without visit data this is all just disagreements based on conjecture. the fact that the holders of the data (amex) haven't instituted visit limits but rather increased the size of the lounges should say the most
"Disagreements based on conjecture" describes 90% of Flyertalk.
It doesn't require making accusations about fellow community members lack of good faith.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by cplush
Because the data isn't publicly available, our experiences and observations are all we really have to go on, along with some intuitive inference.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:17 pm

Because the data isn't publicly available, our experiences and observations are all we really have to go on, along with some intuitive inference.
There are actually quite a few data points in this thread. And anyone who has visited CLs more than a dozen times probably has a good sense for the typical size and makeup of the crowds.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by Adam1222
"Disagreements based on conjecture" describes 90% of Flyertalk.
It doesn't require making accusations about fellow community members lack of good faith.
+ 100
Bolding mine.

This should be one of the top three posts of the year !
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:17 pm

I suspect there are one or more Amex reps watching this forum. If you want my thoughts, reps, I'm Andrew Dhuey. Pretty easy to contact me if you want to talk. Of course, I'm merely one Plat cardholder. But I have some marketing thoughts to share with you, for the price of $0/min.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I suspect there are one or more Amex reps watching this forum. If you want my thoughts, reps, I'm Andrew Dhuey. Pretty easy to contact me if you want to talk. Of course, I'm merely one Plat cardholder. But I have some marketing thoughts to share with you, for the price of $0/min.
I'm imagining indoor playgrounds a la McDonalds. And happy meals.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 6:31 pm

I'm imagining indoor playgrounds a la McDonalds. And happy meals.
Let your imagination run wild. My daughters are ages 20 and 17.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:08 pm

Sounds like this problem can be easily solved if they just put a scale by the front desk.

Weigh every business traveler that comes in and only admit families equal to the weight of the road warriors. That way both groups take up the same amount of space in the lounge. And absolutely no strollers allowed.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:35 am

The aggregate is irrelevant. On any given day, I occupy less space in a lounge than the large family pigging out at the buffet.
Of course the aggregate is relevant, it's not your personal lounge. On any given day, you and all the other solo travelers just like you take up more space than that one family.

An effective study of lounge crowding involves statistics and industrial engineering concepts done in the aggregate.
work2fly and Diplomatico like this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by GiantCow
Sounds like this problem can be easily solved if they just put a scale by the front desk.

Weigh every business traveler that comes in and only admit families equal to the weight of the road warriors. That way both groups take up the same amount of space in the lounge. And absolutely no strollers allowed.
So I guess we're not going to have a good faith discussion and just keep throwing out strawmen. Cool.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Of course the aggregate is relevant, it's not your personal lounge. On any given day, you and all the other solo travelers just like you take up more space than that one family.

An effective study of lounge crowding involves statistics and industrial engineering concepts done in the aggregate.
Have you ever gone into a lounge and seen just one family or one group? I haven't. And I also wonder how many of those there with a friend/coworker/etc got in as guest. The right way to (start to) fix overcrowding is to disallow or make it prohibitively expensive for non-cardholders to enter. Then it may be time to consider limiting access for actual cardholders... but it's impossible (for us) to tell if that needs to happen with all of the guesting going on.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Honestly I believe implementing a $25 charge per guest would be a fair compromise (similar to how the DL SkyClub entrance charges are). That would definitely help limit the families of 4, the group of 3 business people guested in by one, etc. who seem all too common in some of the lounges.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.