Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:23 am

The way I see it: The whole point of an airport lounge is to relax at a quiet, less crowded place. If I'm turned away from a crowded Centurion Lounge being a Platinum member, I'll happily cancel the card even if the annual fee stayed the same because I can just eat at an airport restaurant and hang out at the gate, which is also crowded anyway. Just showing up early at the gate is all I need to do. Plus, I don't need to worry about clearing security in time for my flight which are concerns for some Centurion Lounges that are located before the security checkpoints.

Last edited by steve4; Jan 31, 2015 at 5:25 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've used the LAS many times, DFW once. DFW on a Sunday (around 6 pm) was almost at capacity levels--I think this is due to its "hub" status. I normally use LAS in the morning, it's sometmes crowded but never as bad as what I saw for DFW--there aren't many connections (especially in the moning).
Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by f0xx
The last 5 digits of the card. All my AU's have some weird numbers going on.
Huh thanks for the tip.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:07 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
I've used LAS and LGA. At LAS, I'm usually taking a redeye on a weekend so the lounge is pretty empty. No wait for the shower usually. At LGA, I've only visited on a weekday midday and it has been super packed each time. I usually only stay for a quick bite and head over to the DL lounge if I have the time.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mia
American Express is spending millions of dollars to build the domestic USA Centurion lounge network. They will recover this cost in the form of higher fees. Some cardholders will conclude that Platinum is no longer good value when this occurs, and will cancel. That is one way that lounge overcrowding will be reduced.
I would definitely cancel if AMEX were to increase their AF. I'd much rather pay for an AS Boardroom Membership instead.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:11 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Originally Posted by Universal
The Centurion is on every AMEX card ever made.

My AMEX Everyday card does not have The Centurion on it. Now that I think about it, neither did my Delta Skymiles Gold card.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Totoro
My AMEX Everyday card does not have The Centurion on it. Now that I think about it, neither did my Delta Skymiles Gold card.
I think he is on all of the Amex charge cards, but not any of the credit cards.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
I've used the LAS many times, DFW once. DFW on a Sunday (around 6 pm) was almost at capacity levels--I think this is due to its "hub" status.
Also it's basically the only AA/US "megahub" with a Centurion lounge, and there are people who claim they preferentially route through there because of it. (Yes, LGA has one, but it's not as easily accessible to connecting pax.)

Anyway, perhaps the MIA location will help this congestion some.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Also it's basically the only AA/US "megahub" with a Centurion lounge, and there are people who claim they preferentially route through there because of it. (Yes, LGA has one, but it's not as easily accessible to connecting pax.)

Anyway, perhaps the MIA location will help this congestion some.
Having one in ORD would help too.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by taliesin
Yup! It's pretty ridiculous that they don't and I called them to let them know that. 3rd busiest airport in the country (essentially tied for 2nd with LAX).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by taliesin
Having one at every major UA and AA/US hub would be useful.. EWR, IAD, CLT, PHL, IAH, ORD, and PHX...

Question is if AA/US will decrease the # of hub airports they have...
Old Feb 2, 2015, 4:42 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
DFW and MIA are simple because AA is the dominant carrier. ORD is a more difficult call. Do you put the club:

• In an AA concourse;
  • In a UA concourse;
  • Outside security as at LGA;
  • Or do you build two reduced service facilities (see SEA)?

This assumes space is available. American Express cannot build just because they would like to, there needs to be a vacancy, and they need to be the high bidder (or negotiate a no-bid contract as they did in Miami.)
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia
DFW and MIA are simple because AA is the dominant carrier. ORD is a more difficult call. Do you put the club:

• In an AA concourse;
  • In a UA concourse;

This assumes space is available. American Express cannot build just because they would like to, there needs to be a vacancy, and they need to be the high bidder (or negotiate a no-bid contract as they did in Miami.)
ORD could be fine in any concourse, as it's relatively easy to connect inside. Sure, it's a walk, but it beats the pants off having to re-clear security. I think T3 makes the most sense, but I'd imagine it just has to go wherever there's space.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by mia

• In an AA concourse;
  • In a UA concourse;

Definitely true. I would guess that they have relatively more card-holders who fly AA, since we only recently lost AA lounge access whereas UA went away a long time ago. But obviously Amex should know that in general terms, since they know what airlines people prefer based on the airline fee credit as well as checking BPs at the existing lounge entrances.

Obviously as a customer I think they should build lounges in Terminal 1 (United concourses B and C) AND in Terminal 3 (AA concourses G-H-K-L), and I'm fairly sure the traffic would be sufficient to justify it. But from their perspective these lounges are just cost centers and I'll be surprised if they ever put two even in big airports like LAX, JFK, and ORD that could definitely use them.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:42 pm

I would suspect, that they may not build out very many more. "They" just opened an American Express lounge in Sydney. I say they because its really a Plaza Premium lounge, which is operated by PP, but has a huge AMEX sign out front. Airspace is opening more too. It much easier to let someone else to do the work and the build out cost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.