Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Members same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a lap infant boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by cmd320
The CL crowding continues to be a problem because of the loss of Admirals Clubs and Presidents Clubs (now United Clubs) from the portfolio of lounges. If those were still accessible by Amex members then the CLs wouldn't see the level of crowding they do today. The only real solution is for Amex to expand the current lounges and add more.
If Amex hadn't lost those arrangements I highly doubt they'd even have built their own lounges. They need something to differentiate from Priority Pass.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
By similar logic, shutting down the CL altogether would be even more profitable.
Maybe it's time they do so or even sell individual memberships to any Amex holder and remove it as a benefit of the Plat card. $500/yr-$750/yr with no guesting similar to Delta. It shouldn't be a problem if people really view these CLs as superior to an airline specific lounge.

They could even do away with completely free access for everyone and make it 1 free entry pass earned for every $1,000 spent on your Plat/Cent.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dhuey
Thing is, guest access is really for the benefit of the cardholder. Not too many cardholders are going to say to a loved one or good friend, "Here's my Centurion Lounge. Great food and drink in there. Can't wait. I'll see you at the gate when it's time to board. I hope you find a place to sit."
I don't disagree. And I enjoy guesting friends and coworkers into the lounge myself. However I also recognize that if space is limited, they should not be given access over an actual cardholder.

Originally Posted by txflyer77
If Amex hadn't lost those arrangements I highly doubt they'd even have built their own lounges. They need something to differentiate from Priority Pass.
The first CLs were already planned before Amex lost the Admirals Club. The original plan was for access to be unlimited for Cent card members and Plats would have a limited amount of visits per year. The access for Plats became unlimited when Amex then lost the Admirals Club.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by cmd320
I don't disagree. And I enjoy guesting friends and coworkers into the lounge myself. However I also recognize that if space is limited, they should not be given access over an actual cardholder.
Doesn't seem fair to say to a guy who hardly ever visits the lounge that he can't bring in his wife and kid today because of crowding. Meanwhile, 75x per year road warrior heads right in.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Doesn't seem fair to say to a guy who hardly ever visits the lounge that he can't bring in his wife and kid today because of crowding. Meanwhile, 75x per year road warrior heads right in.
Mr 75x year road warrior is paying an annual fee. Wife and kid are not....

Maybe sell family add-ons for cardholders? Extra $100/200 per year for an extra family member
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Mr 75x year road warrior is paying an annual fee. Wife and kid are not....

Maybe sell family add-ons for cardholders? Extra $100/200 per year for an extra family member
Agree with this completely.

It does not make sense to allow people in for free when it means someone who has actually paid for the benefit of access has to endure overcrowding. Let those currently getting in for free pay for that benefit.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:31 pm

Mr 75x year road warrior is paying an annual fee.
Yes, that's effectively $350/year if he knows how to buy gift cards. Works out to $4.67 per lounge visit for our road warrior. Quite a deal he's got there.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:53 pm

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Why not just give out passes based on spend? 1 free lounge pass for every $5k in spend could work. People could buy passes after that.

Would reward their customers who make them more money, weed out those who are just paying a few hundred dollars for a lounge pass.
MDJennings likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by drwilliams
Why not just give out passes based on spend? 1 free lounge pass for every $5k in spend could work. People could buy passes after that.

Would reward their customers who make them more money, weed out those who are just paying a few hundred dollars for a lounge pass.
Even something as low as $1,000 spend per pass issued would weed them out.

I think a new suit is worth 12 passes.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by drwilliams

That makes the most sense to me from Amex's perspective, and it strikes me as a fair deal to cardholders. A certain number of visits are included with the card (you, guests -- use them however you like). The more spend on the card, the more passes you get. Directly tie the hard costs of the lounge with the hard revenue of spending on the card.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:36 pm

The amount of expansions they've announced recently make me think Amex's perspective is bigger is better. Is there any data around about how many cents/plats/day pass's access each lounge?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by cplush
The amount of expansions they've announced recently make me think Amex's perspective is bigger is better. Is there any data around about how many cents/plats/day pass's access each lounge?
FWIW, I very rarely see any Cents seated in the three tables reserved for them at SFO.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:48 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Thumbs up

FWIW, I very rarely see any Cents seated in the three tables reserved for them at SFO.
I have to say I see the same thing in SEA. That said, as busy as SEA is, I've never not been able to find a seat even at peak times.

A shout out to the staff there who have been stellar IME. ^
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Writing this from IAH Centurion Lounge at 07:00 a.m. Three other customers and me.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Writing this from IAH Centurion Lounge at 07:00 a.m. Three other customers and me.
Can't be true! I hear the lounges are always insufferably crowded! I bet all 4 of you are waiting your turn for the 1 shower too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.