Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:37 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Originally Posted by kb9522
I don't know their situation, but apparently you do?

Pretty sure toddlers don't have their own plat cards. This is an obvious case of guesting gone out of control.

This kind of thing is what amex should be addressing. It's okay if they want to do it piecemeal, as long as they do it.
I have been in a centurion lounge a grand total of once, so if I entered with my family then I too am the problem with overcrowding?

If anyone has been in centurion lounges enough to think toddlers are causing overcrowding to the point of being this upset about this family, then perhaps they should spend less time in centurion lounges, as we may have discovered the issue.

Ignorance of this family's situation does not mean you can just assume they use the lounge more than say, yourself.

Unless you know they do.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
ROFL

You have no idea their situation. Maybe one parent has a personal platinum for the family. Plus they own a business and have a business platinum. So they can't bring their kids in?....
Maybe one of the parents has a Centurion Card? My understanding is with a Centurion Card you can still invite ALL immediate family.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravelStar
... with a Centurion Card you can still invite ALL immediate family.
Correct.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by drwilliams
I have been in a centurion lounge a grand total of once, so if I entered with my family then I too am the problem with overcrowding?
On that day, yes. And the next day it will be someone else, and so on.

If anyone has been in centurion lounges enough to think toddlers are causing overcrowding to the point of being this upset about this family, then perhaps they should spend less time in centurion lounges, as we may have discovered the issue.
Don't get stuck on the fact there were a bunch of toddlers except for the fact the strollers take up even more space. I know I'm vocally critical of children in lounges and on airplanes, but in this case it's strictly about the sheer number of people entering the lounge.

Ignorance of this family's situation does not mean you can just assume they use the lounge more than say, yourself.

Unless you know they do.
The frequency at which they use the lounge is irrelevant. The number of people who enter when they do use it is what's important. You seem to think overcrowding has to do with frequency, it doesn't. If five people access a space designed for 10 people every day, that space still won't be crowded. If a group of 15 people access the space even one day, it will be overcrowded.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar
Maybe one of the parents has a Centurion Card? My understanding is with a Centurion Card you can still invite ALL immediate family.
This benefit should go away also if amex were serious about solving overcrowding issues.

Again, the mechanism by which this group of people accessed the lounge is irrelevant except in the fact that access fees for extra guests may need to be dramatically increased to dissuade large groups from stampeding in.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:00 pm

This benefit should go away also if amex were serious about solving overcrowding issues.

Again, the mechanism by which this group of people accessed the lounge is irrelevant except in the fact that access fees for extra guests may need to be dramatically increased to dissuade large groups from stampeding in.
They could just only allow free entry to Cents and charge $15 visit (even for the cardholder) if you only have a Plat.

This would definitely cut down on the overcrowding issue. Most people aren't signing up for the Plat exclusively for CLs.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:17 pm

On that day, yes. And the next day it will be someone else, and so on.

Don't get stuck on the fact there were a bunch of toddlers except for the fact the strollers take up even more space. I know I'm vocally critical of children in lounges and on airplanes, but in this case it's strictly about the sheer number of people entering the lounge.

The frequency at which they use the lounge is irrelevant. The number of people who enter when they do use it is what's important. You seem to think overcrowding has to do with frequency, it doesn't. If five people access a space designed for 10 people every day, that space still won't be crowded. If a group of 15 people access the space even one day, it will be overcrowded.
Well now your tortured logic just getting foolish. The guy with the kids and the stroller has a cent card, so is able to bring in his family. He should be complaining that they let plats in and crowd out his stroller parking.

And the frequency is irrelevant? That is nuts. Plain nuts. That guy with the kids and strollers, with the cent card, was in the lounge once in 3 years. You are in it twice a week. Who is the causing the overcrowding problem? You are.

And yeah, I just made up all those scenarios, because like you, I have no idea his situation. Hatred of kids in lounges does not equal any insight on the family in question.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings
They could just only allow free entry to Cents and charge $15 visit (even for the cardholder) if you only have a Plat.

This would definitely cut down on the overcrowding issue. Most people aren't signing up for the Plat exclusively for CLs.
As a cent card holder this would be excellent. But a bunch of plats could get downright ornery about this suggestion...
MDJennings likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:30 pm

As a cent card holder this would be excellent. But a bunch of plats could get downright ornery about this suggestion...
It might make sense to do so, too. Imagine if us Cents got frustrated at overly packed CLs and decided to cancel and move spend to another issuer.

I'm willing to bet there are more people who sign up for the Plat exclusively for the, "prestige," of it as opposed to people who sign up exclusively for the free CL access.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:30 pm

Well now your tortured logic just getting foolish. The guy with the kids and the stroller has a cent card, so is able to bring in his family. He should be complaining that they let plats in and crowd out his stroller parking.
The whole point of this thread is to identify things that currently allowed which contribute to overcrowding. So welcome to the thread. And yes, allowing plats in for free may definitely be an issue. Charging plats might be a fair solution. I think they should disallow all of the freeloaders first, but that's just me.

And the frequency is irrelevant? That is nuts. Plain nuts. That guy with the kids and strollers, with the cent card, was in the lounge once in 3 years. You are in it twice a week. Who is the causing the overcrowding problem? You are.
Now who is using tortured logic? One person does not use up more space than 10 people and five strollers.

And yeah, I just made up all those scenarios, because like you, I have no idea his situation. Hatred of kids in lounges does not equal any insight on the family in question.
Why are you getting hung up on the age of people in the large group? This has nothing to do with age and everything to do with the amount of space being occupied.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hey now, let's not get carried away... If it weren't so aggressively advertised as a perk of the card, and if the AF hadn't increased $100, charging a nominal fee honestly wouldn't bother me that much. Maybe $15 is only worth it for long layovers and not when running in and quickly out to grab a drink and something to eat. But if they wanted to, say, drop the AF back down and then offer an increased $50-100 fee for annual CL access, I'd take it.

I'm willing to bet there are more people who sign up for the Plat exclusively for the, "prestige," of it as opposed to people who sign up exclusively for the free CL access.
I don't get people who sign up for it for the "prestige" when it makes no sense for their spending, or for CL access unless they are absolutely getting more than the annual fee back in savings. Otherwise, they're just wasting money. To each her own, though, I guess.

I have the card because I use Uber plenty, I use the airline fee credit, I spend enough on airfare for myself, my family, and work to make up for the rest of the AF in MR points, and CL access saves me money on food at most of the airports I fly through (although in Miami I cannot resist getting a cafe con leche at Cafe Versailles, no matter how much I've eaten or how much coffee I've sponged up).
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
The whole point of this thread is to identify things that currently allowed which contribute to overcrowding. So welcome to the thread. And yes, allowing plats in for free may definitely be an issue. Charging plats might be a fair solution. I think they should disallow all of the freeloaders first, but that's just me.
What is a 'freeloader'? Someone using guest privileges? It's a current feature of a card available.

Would a 'stroller parking' area make up for their taking up too much space? I am just amazed that this is a problem. You making wild assumptions about them yet it's possible they do have a Centurion and spend a LOT of money on it. The mom/dad could have been the most important customer in the whole lounge while they were there. It's impossible to know.

And I bring my kids in. And my wife. To CL and to SkyClubs. I pay for or have the benefits.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
I don't get people who sign up for it for the "prestige" when it makes no sense for their spending, or for CL access unless they are absolutely getting more than the annual fee back in savings. Otherwise, they're just wasting money. To each her own, though, I guess.
Humans have a tendency to do this with many things in life.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

What matters is the number of person-visits per year. Each time someone enters, it's one person-visit. Five people entering the lounge on one day has the same contribution to crowding as one person entering on five different days.

I think it's fair to say that a family with strollers is on vacation or some sort of visit to relatives or friends. Typically, families don't take such trips more than a few times a year at most. Therefore, it's highly unlikely that this activity is generating enough person-visits to contribute significantly to crowding. On a per-cardholder basis, business travelers who are using the lounge weekly have a much greater impact.

I think that such a policy would result in the lounges being almost empty. IIRC there are less than 50K centurion cardholders worldwide, and few of them are likely to be road warriors.

It would also result in a good chunk of plat cardholders cancelling.

It might make sense to do so, too. Imagine if us Cents got frustrated at overly packed CLs and decided to cancel and move spend to another issuer.
I doubt that will happen. The overcrowding issue is not nearly as dramatic as some people in this thread make it sound, and anyway there are reserved tables for cents.

I think there are some such people, but not as many as in the past. Many merchants now let customers swipe/insert their own cards. I've had the plat for 3 years, and the only comment I have ever heard about it is "sorry we don't take Amex".
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by cbn42
What matters is the number of person-visits per year. Each time someone enters, it's one person-visit. Five people entering the lounge on one day has the same contribution to crowding as one person entering on five different days.

I think it's fair to say that a family with strollers is on vacation or some sort of visit to relatives or friends. Typically, families don't take such trips more than a few times a year at most. Therefore, it's highly unlikely that this activity is generating enough person-visits to contribute significantly to crowding. On a per-cardholder basis, business travelers who are using the lounge weekly have a much greater impact.

I think that such a policy would result in the lounges being almost empty. IIRC there are less than 50K centurion cardholders worldwide, and few of them are likely to be road warriors.

It would also result in a good chunk of plat cardholders cancelling.

I doubt that will happen. The overcrowding issue is not nearly as dramatic as some people in this thread make it sound, and anyway there are reserved tables for cents.

I think there are some such people, but not as many as in the past. Many merchants now let customers swipe/insert their own cards. I've had the plat for 3 years, and the only comment I have ever heard about it is "sorry we don't take Amex".
Do you really think the handful of CLs out there really caused a huge influx of Plat card apps?

An empty CL would actually be more profitable than a CL filled with free admission plats since they would spend less on staffing and free food costs. Hell, it might even drive more walk up day pass purchasers since they figure the lounge will have available seating and less congestion.

Amex actually wants people signing up for the Plat who will spend on it since it has such paltry earnings instead of those who only have it for the benefits and instead maximize categorical spend across multiple fee free cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.