Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:53 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by United747
I noticed that too. I can't remember what lounge it was at though. Maybe IAH? There were people sleeping, taking up a lot of space.
This is actually EVERY lounge at MIA early in the morning following the arrival of the Brazil/Argentina/Chile flights, including the Cent.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 4:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Further developing this idea:

12 free visits per cardholder, further visits with payment

2 free general guest passes per year. No further guesting, even with payment.

1 family visit per year with spouse/adult partner and children. No further guesting beyond that, even if paid.
But why make the distinction between cardholders and guests for purposes of the cap? We're trying to reduce the number of bodies in the lounges. It doesn't matter whether they're cardholders or guests. Let cardholders decide how to divvy up their allowance.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
One issue with eliminating immediate family guesting is children. If guests are not permitted many Platinum cardholders would buy a supplementary Platinum card for their spouse or older children. That would seem to be a good thing if it generates more revenue for American Express (and if they can realize that the lounges are responsible for it). However, they won't (knowingly) issue a card to a child under 15. This means the only way to bring younger children would be to purchase day passes, unless American Express created something similar to Delta Skyclub's Executive Membership.

I appreciate that some would be perfectly happy to have fewer children in lounges, airports and on planes, but I think American Express would be reluctant to implement a policy that could be characterized as unfriendly to families.

Last edited by mia; Aug 6, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
One issue with eliminating immediate family guesting is children. If guests are not permitted many Platinum cardholders would buy a supplementary Platinum card for their spouse or older children. That would seem to be a good thing if it generates more revenue for American Express (and if they can realize that the lounges are responsible for it). However, they won't (knowingly) issue a card to a child under 15. This means the only way to bring younger children would be to purchase day passes, unless American Express created something similar to Delta Skyclub's Executive Membership.

I appreciate that some would be perfectly happy to have fewer children in lounges, airports and on planes, but I think American Express would be reluctant to implement a policy that could be characterized as unfriendly to families.

Perfectly said Mia! I probably bring my kids (11 & 9) into a Centurion lounge 3-4 times a year. They are well behaved and don't cause any issues. If families were excluded, I would have serious issues with keeping the card.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by mia
I don't buy this, because every other airport lounge out there limits free access holders/members to one single guest. As a BA Gold card holder, or AF Platinum member, I cannot bring in my family to the lounge if they are traveling in economy. I can only bring in one guest. This is a global fact about airport lounges. They have limited space so all airlines have this language in their lounge access rules and some don't even allow a guest!
Old Aug 7, 2016, 10:47 am
mia

Originally Posted by stimpy
... every other airport lounge out there limits free access holders/members to one single guest.
The lounges operated by the USA legacy carriers are membership clubs, and guest privileges similar to that offered by American Express are typical. Delta is the most restrictive in that you have to buy the more expensive Executive membership to retain guest privileges..

AA

Admirals Club, and Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive Card primary cardholders - Immediate family or up to 2 guests**
Admirals Club 30 day - Immediate family or up to 2 guests**
AirPass with Admirals Club privileges - Immediate family or up to 2 guests**
Admirals Club One-Day Pass holders - Up to 3 children under 18 years of age***
Citi Prestige primary cardholders - Immediate family or up to 2 guests**
Military - Immediate family or up to 2 guests**
AS

Members are welcome to bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and children under the age of 21) or as many as two guests at no extra charge; however, members must accompany and remain with family and guests at all times.
DL

Delta Sky Club Executive Membership
Complimentary - Two, or spouse or domestic partner and children under 21; Plus two additional for $29 per guest per club visit
UA

United Club members may bring their spouse and dependent children under 21, or up to two guests, into any United Club location. Members must accompany their family and guests during their United Club visit.

Last edited by mia; Aug 7, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by mia
One issue with eliminating immediate family guesting is children.
At SFO there is a special play room for kids. I've seen a lot of kids in the lounge, but never any misbehavior. The only problem with kids I see is that they take up space -- same problem as adults. When addressing that problem, I don't see why we care whether someone is a kid or adult, cardholder or guest. Cap the number of people per year per card.
Old Aug 7, 2016, 11:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I visited the SFO, MIA and IAH Centurion lounges this week on two flights that routed through those hubs. Regarding crowding, what I noticed is that there are many, many more full families (parents and kids) in these lounges than when I first started visiting the Centurion LAS, SFO, and DFW lounges in 2014. When the lounges first opened the visitors were mostly single business travelers. Now I see as many sets of parents w/ kids as I see business travelers.

If kids are quiet and well-behaved it's not a problem, but in IAH a kid was shrieking repeatedly while his parents fought on the daybeds. In MIA a kid was screaming next to me. This is becoming a common experience in Centurion lounges, whereas the non-Cent lounges I visit tend to have a higher proportion of business travelers who usually just work on their laptops and are hence much quieter.

What this has caused me to realize is that (1) there is a huge noise difference in a lounge that serves a lot of leisure travelers versus business travelers and (2) that Centurion lounges are attracting a larger percentage of leisure travelers (or people who usually travel for business but are on vacation and bringing guests in) than other lounges, making the lounges noisier and more stressful.

The solution to my mind is to limit guest access. This would make the lounges more adult/business oriented. It wouldn't just lower the number of kids in the lounge, it could also limit the problem of groups of drunk vacationers making noise together (a particularly bad example of this happened in SFO, where a group took over the couches at the entrance and were talking/laughing/cursing in booming voices for an hour).

I know it might be considered less "family-friendly", but the problem is that these lounges weren't built to handle the sound of booming voices, screams and shrieks. One screaming kid in the lounge and it's not a relaxing lounge anymore; whereas out in the airport if a kid screams the noise is dampered by all the other people/noises around.

My guess is that the 'comfort'/luxe of the lounges leads some families and groups to treat them like living rooms, which then makes the lounges really hard to use for other people. Limiting guests would reduce the clientele to primary cardholders who are more likely to be adults and single travelers.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I don't buy this, because every other airport lounge out there limits free access holders/members to one single guest. As a BA Gold card holder, or AF Platinum member, I cannot bring in my family to the lounge if they are traveling in economy. I can only bring in one guest. This is a global fact about airport lounges. They have limited space so all airlines have this language in their lounge access rules and some don't even allow a guest!
If you are going to assert something emphatically, on a public forum, you should at least make a moderate effort to ensure that you are, you know, actually correct.

In this case you are not. In fact not even remotely so.

Regards
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
If you are going to assert something emphatically, on a public forum, you should at least make a moderate effort to ensure that you are, you know, actually correct.

In this case you are not. In fact not even remotely so.
Don't be stupid. Look things up before you post. Like maybe here. https://www.flyingblue.com/lounges.html
Old Aug 8, 2016, 8:15 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Katlor
Regarding crowding, what I noticed is that there are many, many more full families (parents and kids) in these lounges than when I first started visiting the Centurion LAS, SFO, and DFW lounges in 2014. When the lounges first opened the visitors were mostly single business travelers. Now I see as many sets of parents w/ kids as I see business travelers.
Is it possible that this is in part influenced by the time of year currently? As surely there are a lot more leisure travelers/families and fewer business travelers during the month of August?

Every year I inevitably find myself in a northeast Admirals Clubs during the February school break week... And it's always the same zoo that you've just described.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:02 am
mia

... This is a global fact about airport lounges. ...
Lounges operated by the USA-based airlines are different than the ones you mentioned, in that they are membership clubs and anyone can join. They are not restricted to elite or premium cabin passengers.

This dates back to the 1960's when US carriers were still regulated. If you have a subscription to the New York Times, you can read an article published February 1, 1967 headlined: Airlines Preparing Defense of V.I.P. Clubs

Eight Involved Told to Reply This Month
Eight major airlines are preparing answers to Civil Aeronautics Board charges that they are conferring "special favor and advantage to selected passengers."

The Bureau of Enforcement of the C.A. B. has charged these airlines with discriminating unjustly against other passengers paying the same fares. If the charges are upheld the airlines would have to discontinue the special treatment. This takes the form of private clubs at major airports where passengers are admitted to membership because they are good airline customers.
The issue was resolved in 1974. NYT, March 17, 1974: Thanks to One Stubborn. Man, Everyone Can Be an Airport V.I.P.

...on Feb. 12, the Civil Aeronautics Board, the Government agency responsible for the regulation of commercial airlines, ordered all airlines to open their fancy secret retreats to everybody.
American Express (USA) introduced the $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit -and- announced the airport Centurion lounges after losing access to the AA/US and CO/UA lounges networks. I think it seemed natural to mimic the guest policies of those airline clubs. They did not have to go this direction, but they did, and I think it will be awkward to roll back.

Last edited by mia; Aug 8, 2016 at 9:09 am
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
That's a good point that there are probably even more leisure travelers right now than usual, but I've been seeing a higher proportion of families in Centurion lounges all year (I travel a lot). Some of the lounges are worse than others.

Regarding the crowding at SFO, this one should have been entirely expected by AMEX given that tech salaries are so high in the Bay Area that a $450 AF is nothing to most. The irony is that there is little quiet/exclusivity in the SFO lounge bc so many people can access it. There are also tons of families at SFO. AMEX probably knew the lounge would be really oversubscribed but there wasn't much they could do; they had to open at SFO because they are so many United status flyers there and are making do with the space they have. Nowadays I prefer to go to the KLM/Alaska lounge if I have time.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Lounges operated by the USA-based airlines are different than the ones you mentioned, in that they are membership clubs and anyone can join. They are not restricted to elite or premium cabin passengers.
That's not completely true given what I wrote. First of all, AF and BA, for example, operate lounges in the United States. And as I posted twice now, they do not allow extra guests beyond the one. Secondly, AF and BA top elite members, for example, can access the lounges of DL and AA, etc. But they cannot bring in family members beyond just the one, per the rules of DL and AA. But it is clear that this is a complex issue and you cannot come to an absolute conclusion. And as I said, globally, you cannot bring in extra family members into lounges. Of course there are exceptions and even lounges that do not allow it per the rules, may sometimes make exceptions.

And what should really be clear from this long thread, Amex needs to address this issue one way or the other. It's out of control, especially at MIA.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:55 pm

That's not completely true given what I wrote. First of all, AF and BA, for example, operate lounges in the United States.
Yes, but mia was talking about "USA-based airlines".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.