Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by dhuey
We all know it's effectively $250, but my sense is that we here on FT are a freakishly unrepresentative sliver of the frequently-flying public.
Since the $200 is per calendar year, isn't it actually a net annual fee of $50?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 12:58 am
Suspended

So a more relevant question, does AMEX even care about the crowding issue?
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Does American Express care about the crowding of Centurion lounges? Not Really. Does American Express care if the couple of thousand or so Platinum Cardmembers who use the lounges on a weekly (or more) basis cancel their cards if they are not allowed unlimited access? No, Amex loses money with them.
What American Express is looking at is the PERCEIVED value of the lounges by the million of Platinum Cardmembers who use the lounges not at all or on an occasional basis.
I am certain Amex is conducting research of these Cardmembers to determine their perceived value of the Centurion lounges.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:30 am
Suspended

But if the Centurion lounges are so crowded as people claim, then clearly the Cent and Plat cardholders are deriving a great deal of value from the lounges. You can't really have one without the other.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Since the $200 is per calendar year, isn't it actually a net annual fee of $50?
Unless you switch Platinum versions every year, you only get the "extra" $200 one time, so the effective annual fee is $250 per year after your first year as a Plat cardholder.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
As a resident of the OC that uses LAX as the main airport I am excited about the new lounge. That being said the overcrowding issue will probably be an issue in LAX (given the less than stellar airport quality).

Reading this thread, I believe I have a good solution.
Is there really going to be a problem in need of a solution? The SFO lounge is airside for 40% of the gates, and walkable from unconnected terminals for those willing to go through security an extra time.

At LAX, there is less airside connectivity, and very few people would walk over from an unconnected terminal.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I was talking with the concierge at the Vegas club last week, mentioning that I had only been to Seattle before, which I thought smaller but just as overall nice in atmosphere. She had wanted to emphasize that because of CES they had pulled out some of the more comfortable furniture, couches and the like, from their lounge to put in the small black tables and (frankly uncomfortable) folding chairs to stem any temporary overcrowding.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 5:44 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
As a Canadian Amex Plat holder, I also get the PP card which allows guest. The reason I like to use the Cent Lounge is I can bring my wife AND kid inside plus myself. Otherwise, I can use another lounge that takes PP and just bring my kid inside with me.

You are right, they are usually packed depending on what time you get there. I use the Cent Lounge 1-2 times a year though, so if they canceled that perk, it most likely wouldn't affect me much. The PP card though I use around 20+ times a year with guest, and that's the biggest reason I keep this card.

As others have stated though, Amex needs to be adding another perk to the Plat card. I have been waiting 2 years since they took away the last benefit...hopefully 2016 has something new in store?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:16 pm

I was talking with the concierge at the Vegas club last week, mentioning that I had only been to Seattle before, which I thought smaller but just as overall nice in atmosphere. She had wanted to emphasize that because of CES they had pulled out some of the more comfortable furniture, couches and the like, from their lounge to put in the small black tables and (frankly uncomfortable) folding chairs to stem any temporary overcrowding.
I was just at the LAS lounge today; I saw the black chairs and tables; but didn't connect it with CES. I do feel like they need more seating at this location, but the black chairs/tables seem like a temporary fix.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:29 am

Was at DFW Thus between 4:15 and 5 PM, it was crowded but not packed, still places to sit, one open reserved table. I guess some folks think no one should be inside but them or otherwise its too crowded. Some of you get to get a ******* life and stop complaining, you don't have it was good at AA, AS, DL or UA or lounges.

Last edited by wesheltonj; Jan 11, 2016 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:02 pm

Programs: Various
I've definitely noticed the lounges get busier, DFW was very busy last time I was there but fortunately they have the reserved tables for Centurion customers now. Though that didn't stop the server looking at me and informing me that the table was reserved and only for Centurion customers. They then noticed the tag on my bag and asked me if I'd like the whisky or the glass of Veuve.

I did see someone throwing a hissy fit at SEA because they couldn't pay to get in like the other Centurion lounges. I've seen SEA busy, but not rammed so I'd say the access policy is working well there. Really like the staff there and they are always friendly and super helpful. Apparently the ratio of Centurions they see there to Platinum is less than 1 in 100.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I was just at the LAS lounge today; I saw the black chairs and tables; but didn't connect it with CES. I do feel like they need more seating at this location, but the black chairs/tables seem like a temporary fix.
They learned from last year when it was a complete zoo. Original furniture was supposed to go back in today. I was there Saturday. DL check in area was a nightmare but the lounge was actually quite peaceful. Probably the calm before the storm of 100K or so people leaving Vegas
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by RichardMannion

I did see someone throwing a hissy fit at SEA because they couldn't pay to get in like the other Centurion lounges..
Woah, that's news to me. Behold, you are spot on!. "The Centurion Studio does not sell one-day passes. Other American Express® Cards are not eligible for entry. "
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:25 am

Heard similar will occur at SFO for Superbowl.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:31 am

The amount of people who want their own plat card to be nerfed for the sake of making Centurion lounges less crowed is too high in this thread. If only I had a penny for every time I read the following in this thread "they should remove the $200 airline credit and make Plat a true $450 card"....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.