Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: AA Gold
The DFW lounge was slammed last night from 5-6. It was difficult to find a seat, lounge staff couldn't keep up with busing the tables nor replenishing the buffet... I think that an easy fix would be to change the guest policy to one vs. two... That way, people can bring their spouse but it would limit the amount of people bringing multiple coworkers who they're travelling on business with.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BOSishome
The DFW lounge was slammed last night from 5-6. It was difficult to find a seat, lounge staff couldn't keep up with busing the tables nor replenishing the buffet... I think that an easy fix would be to change the guest policy to one vs. two... That way, people can bring their spouse but it would limit the amount of people bringing multiple coworkers who they're travelling on business with.
I think the first stop is eliminating access for anyone except the primary cardholder plus only the primary cardholder's guests - we need to get rid of the corporate people who are using company cards branched off a single owner's master account.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 2:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
....we need to get rid of the corporate people who are using company cards branched off a single owner's master account.
Business and Corporate Platinum cards net cost is higher than personal Platinum. Why should American Express exclude them?
canadiancow and cuthroat like this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I've been to some nice to really nice lounges, but I've never been to a lounge nice enough to spend nine hours in it. I recommend spending a good chunk of that time in town, the Airport Express gets you there in under thirty minutes each way.
I wonder if the HKG lounge would hold onto my luggage while I go into the city. That might be asking too much.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gtran26
I wonder if the HKG lounge would hold onto my luggage while I go into the city. That might be asking too much.
Perhaps the non-U.S. lounges are different, but I believe Amex lounges have a policy against doing this.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I doubt they would. But HKG at least has a convenient left luggage service right next to the MTR station in the terminal. Will cost you no more than a few $ for the day.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 12:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
You'd also need a favor from both an airline representative and HK Immigration: once you go through transit security to gain access to the Amex lounge, there's no normal way to exit the departures area and be admitted to Hong Kong. You first have to find an airline representative that is willing to take you to Immigration (ostensibly with a good reason why you need to leave the departure area after you entered, which normally would be that you flight was serious delayed and not that you just wanted to use the Amex lounge for luggage storage), plus Immigration has to sign off on it.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:47 am

I just got AMEx Platinum but I’m already wondering if I made the wrong decision. I got it primarily for lounge access. I misread the rules and so I guess it won’t work out for my family of 4 unless I either pay $175 more to give same privileges to my wife or pay $50 each time to let my second child in. I’m reluctant to do either... I’ve already spent enough to sign up. Furthermore I went to the SEA location (our home) and we were told it’s 30min wait. So we went to UA
club instead. When I went back an hour later, it was now a 30-40min wait. Once I finally got in, very few seats remained while many nice tables were reserved for someone.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by evergrn
Once I finally got in, very few seats remained while many nice tables were reserved for someone.
Centurion cardmembers.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Centurion cardmembers.
But they had at least half a dozen of the nicest tables reserved. Do that many Centurion card members really exist to justify keeping that many tables blocked for them? Based on what I've read about its criteria, it's hard for me to imagine that

I already have Hilton Aspire, so really the main thing I was looking for with Platinum card was lounge access at SEA and sometimes HKG after UA Club's rule change on Nov 1st. If I had to do it all over again, I'd just keep my UA Club Card for Star travels, use Priority Pass (from Aspire) as needed, and then cover occasional day pass fees with CSR.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mia
Business and Corporate Platinum cards net cost is higher than personal Platinum. Why should American Express exclude them?
Not excluding the primary cardholder, but the employee cardholders, basically those getting the card for free as a perk of employment with cards that branch off the primary cardholder's account, should be excluded.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 4:46 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
.... those getting the card for free as a perk of employment with cards that branch off the primary cardholder's account, should be excluded.
Please finish the thought and explain WHY employee cardholders are less worthy of access, and WHY American Express would want to devalue accounts that pay higher fees.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by mia
Please finish the thought and explain WHY employee cardholders are less worthy of access, and WHY American Express would want to devalue accounts that pay higher fees.
Because the employee cardholders are not paying for their own access, and with the crowding situation, a tough call needs to be made - and that means prioritizing lounge access for primary cardholders who are directly paying their own membership fees. If we restricted access to primary cardholders and ONE guest, the lounges would be far less crowded and be a more pleasant (and less stressful) experience for everyone. The guest policy itself could be flexible - during hours where the lounge is is forecast to be under 70% full, and coupled with the 3hr rule, a primary cardholder could bring in two guests, but a one guest policy would kick in prior to, and during forecasted busy periods to make sure primary cardholders have a place to sit and relax.

How do Business Platinum cardholders pay higher fees? The annual fee is lower for Business vs Personal cards.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
It’s always fun to read the suggestions for reducing crowding that by happy coincidence have no impact on the one suggesting them.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
How do Business Platinum cardholders pay higher fees? The annual fee is lower for Business vs Personal cards.
Business Plat = $595/year.

Personal Plat = $550/year.
Flying Machine likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.