Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 27, 19, 12:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 20, 19, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I vote for one guest only.
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by jacca83 View Post
I guess the 3 hour limit and no longer admitting arriving passengers isn't working ( I didn't think it would). Perhaps increase the AF?
According to whom? One report from DFW?

Amex just raised the AF by $100. No way they’ll raise it again this soon.
Old Jun 20, 19, 10:38 pm

Just eliminate guesting privileges. It shouldn’t take Amex this long to figure this out.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jun 21, 19, 5:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SeaHawg View Post
DFW an absolute zoo today. Way overcrowded, messy, and loud. I walked in and back out.

AMEX has to get this under control- perhaps cut access to AUs or limit access to 10x per year unless spend exceeds a certain threshold.

I sent in a poor survey and contacted AMEX. Ended up going to the D AAdmirals Club- way nicer and less crowded.
If you spend any time at all reviewing this thread you would see that some version of your post declaring the end of times and "Amex has to get this under control" comes up at least several times per month. I mean think about it, the very thread you are posting in started in January 2015, is now approximately 127 pages long, and has ~1900 posts and yet... here we are.

Sorry, but anonymous posting on the internet declaring "Amex has to get this under control" have absolutely zero, nada, zilch impact on changing the situation. As our moderator, mia, has pointed on several occasions, many in this thread are assuming Amex sees this as a problem they want/need to solve. The clear evidence has indicated Amex does not see this situation in the same light as posters in this forum do.

This thread has just become a "rinse and repeat" thread on FT. There is literally nothing new here. It's just posts like yours followed with a string of, "kick the families out, no guests period, primary cardholders only, set number of annual visits, etc, etc" follow up posts and then rinse and repeat next month.

The beat goes on...

Regards
Robl, wesheltonj, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 22, 19, 12:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by scubadu View Post
This thread has just become a "rinse and repeat" thread on FT. There is literally nothing new here. It's just posts like yours followed with a string of, "kick the families out, no guests period, primary cardholders only, set number of annual visits, etc, etc" follow up posts and then rinse and repeat next month.
So stop reading it. We won't miss you.

Regards.
cmd320, IndyHoosier and envol like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 22, 19 at 12:17 am
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:20 am

Programs: AA PLT, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
So stop reading it. We won't miss you.

Regards.
Or, more likely, I'll keep right on doing what I'm doing, but thanks for your input.

Regards
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG75k, DL PM, UA 1k, WN A-List, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat Elite
CL at LAS was great around 1:30-3PM yesterday. Maybe half full. Wide open seating, instant access to food/drink. I noted my joy with the desk folks and thanked them for the new restrictions. They seemed happy as well. I also noted a good review on their in-house review ipad thing. All in all a very civilized experience and what a CL experience should be.
Old Jun 22, 19, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Do Plat AMEX folks pay for immediate family members (similar to DL clubs)? A strict policy like that might​​ make a difference.
Old Jun 22, 19, 11:05 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
Do Plat AMEX folks pay for immediate family members .....
Family members are the same as any other guests:

Centurion Lounge new policy 2 guests ONLY (ends exception for immediate family).
Old Jun 22, 19, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The crowding issues I see are mostly from a member plus one, rather than families.
Old Jun 22, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
The crowding issues I see are mostly from a member plus one, rather than families.
A member showing up solo contributes quite a bit to the crowding if they visit the lounge frequently. Bodies are bodies.
af fp likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 5:59 am

I noticed that fat members take more space and use too much food. Can scales be installed in reception areas and people with BMIs over 28 be turned down? It is a good way to entice healthy behavior.
Robbiedeluxe and jacca83 like this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 1:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Maybe it's me, but I think this issue is fixed a lot easier than what it has ballooned into. It's a perk of a high-end card that is marketed towards a very specific clientele. Some people abuse it or aren't profitable customers. Amex has all kinds of purchase data history. As an example, I think it's pretty reasonable that people who never purchase any flights on the card and/or just don't use the card at all don't need to 10 Centurion visits with guests per year. That can be a violation of the Centurion membership. Why don't they crack down like every big CC does on every type of behavior that loses them big money on things their product was not designed for?
Old Jun 23, 19, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Maybe it's me, but I think this issue is fixed a lot easier than what it has ballooned into. It's a perk of a high-end card that is marketed towards a very specific clientele. Some people abuse it or aren't profitable customers. Amex has all kinds of purchase data history. As an example, I think it's pretty reasonable that people who never purchase any flights on the card and/or just don't use the card at all don't need to 10 Centurion visits with guests per year. That can be a violation of the Centurion membership. Why don't they crack down like every big CC does on every type of behavior that loses them big money on things their product was not designed for?
You seem to be forgetting the card has a $550 annual fee, which covers at least three or four visits per year for people who use the other credits and put $0 spend on the card.

Amex finally woke up and eliminated the Ameriprise loophole. I’d love to know how many people are still enjoying the perks of that. Hopefully a lot of those “unprofitable customers” won’t have a Plat 6 or 8 months from now.
Old Jun 23, 19, 5:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
Visited SEA with 2 guests at peak hour today(12pm). Had to wait 15 min to get in. The lounge is crowded but still has a few empty seats.

Search this Thread