Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Centurion Lounge crowding (access limited to 3 hours before flight departure)

Hide Wikipost
Old May 27, 19, 12:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Old May 14, 19, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by pokeable View Post
Not the case for KE's NRT lounge.
What kind of noise are you guys talking about? I don't mean library cone of silence stuff, but, I do mean absent of running screaming children & bunch of dudes taking loudly. I have never experienced this in a Tokyo lounge during my flying years.

As to CDG, I was in the UA *A lounge because of T1. There was the sound of normal speaking (probably louder than my taste), but, again, absent of running screaming children & bunch of folks talking loudly.

Was in DUB's lounge and did experience a gathering of, maybe, 8 Irish businessmen taking very loudly. Again, absent of children running around screaming.
Old May 14, 19, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mia View Post
No, it would be a return to the short lived policy when the first location (LAS) opened. It was free for Centurion cardholders, paid for all other American Express cardholders -but- many Platinum cardholders received a number of vouchers for free admission.
No way that model would be sustainable for the current Centurion network, except maybe in LAS and SFO, and maybe MIA at its prior size.
Old May 14, 19, 3:21 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
I was in MIA last Thursday From about 4 to 7:30pm on a connection which was my first time since the remodel. Throughout the time I was there there was plenty of seating and it was quite pleasant. I thought they did a great job.
Old May 14, 19, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by abk View Post
I was in MIA last Thursday From about 4 to 7:30pm on a connection which was my first time since the remodel. Throughout the time I was there there was plenty of seating and it was quite pleasant. I thought they did a great job.
I was in Miami around five months ago, when did they remodel?
Old May 14, 19, 7:42 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine View Post

I was in Miami around five months ago, when did they remodel?
Reopened in January:

Centurion Lounge MIA [Opened 4 June 2015, enlarged January 2019]
Old May 14, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by abk View Post
I've been through MIA twice post-policy change and both times I had to wait for a seat and there were others waiting for seats when I left. So it's still going to vary heavily based on traffic.
Old May 15, 19, 6:17 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
What kind of noise are you guys talking about? I don't mean library cone of silence stuff, but, I do mean absent of running screaming children & bunch of dudes taking loudly. I have never experienced this in a Tokyo lounge during my flying years.

absent of running screaming children & bunch of folks talking loudly.
Toddlers toddling around, a few babies screaming, plus TVs and high level of ambient noise making everyone have to raise their voice to be heard by their companions.
Also, it wasn't a very big lounge. Every seat was taken.
Old May 15, 19, 6:35 am

Toddlers toddling around, a few babies screaming, plus TVs and high level of ambient noise making everyone have to raise their voice to be heard by their companions.
Not a road warrior, but, I've never experienced this in any F/J Tokyo lounge (JL & NH), nor have I in any CDG (AF & AA F&J, most recently a *A with PP access, even this was fine)/HKG (CX J & F) in 20+ years of flying. I haven't frequented KE lounges often, but, if this is the standard, I certainly will not.

I'll be in Seoul's KE F/J lounge and see if this is an issue there too.
Old May 15, 19, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Don't expect much. Both Korean carriers operate disappointing lounges.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 8:13 am

Not a road warrior, but, I've never experienced this in any F/J Tokyo lounge (JL & NH), nor have I in any CDG (AF & AA F&J, most recently a *A with PP access, even this was fine)/HKG (CX J & F) in 20+ years of flying. I haven't frequented KE lounges often, but, if this is the standard, I certainly will not.

KE's J lounge at ICN was much larger (understandable given that it's KE's home base). It was quieter, but partly because we were leaving in the AM versus our 2PM NRT-ICN flight.
Old May 15, 19, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
At SFO, the Skyclub is better than the Centurion Lounge, and not just because it's obviously more convenient to the Delta gates.

In fact, the SFO Skyclub is one of the nicest in the system.
I agree that the SFO Skyclub is very nice, but the CL at SFO is still nicer if we don't consider crowding. CL has consistently better food and drink options. But...the CL is usually much more crowded, so the overall experience at the DL Skyclub can be better.
Old May 15, 19, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
This type of behavior would never be allowed in Japan - they would be thrown out. The NRT lounges get very busy at peak hours and the ambient noise can get a little high, but I've spent countless hours in the 50s gate lounge and never encountered screaming children running around or people screaming into cell phones.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 2:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Huh. FWIW, I was in the KE Lounge at NRT the Saturday before Xmas in 2012(? ... '13?) and it was quiet, wide-open, and quite nice.
Old May 15, 19, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
This type of behavior would never be allowed in Japan - they would be thrown out. The NRT lounges get very busy at peak hours and the ambient noise can get a little high, but I've spent countless hours in the 50s gate lounge and never encountered screaming children running around or people screaming into cell phones.
Can't imagine the sort of behavior described would ever occur in any of the NRT/HND F/J lounges. I'd imagine, you're right, either of those lounges would put a stop to it fairly quickly. Now, I've not experienced KE lounges too often, so, can't comment. As to CDG, can't imagine AF allowing this either in any of their lounges. Even in CDG's AA one, I recall several years ago, taking a phone call over an important item I had left in my hotel, the French lady across from me shot me a glare; so, I stepped outside.

Perhaps, you may have some isolated cases, but, it's certainly not "business as usual," as it has become in the US Cent lounges. If it did, I'm sure those places will put a stop to it, just as some hotels in SE Asia not allowing children into their lounges in the evenings.
Old May 15, 19, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
screaming children running
I literally meant 2 year olds toddling (taking hesitant steps with parents in tow) and infants crying. Not your typical hellians @ MCO.

Search this Thread