Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What a crappy policy.

I have an 1845 flight. I arrived at the lounge at 1508, 3 hours and 37 minutes before departure.

My intention was to go in, grab a drink, sit down, and change my flight so I wouldn't have to sit here for 3 hours.

Nope. Can't get in. So I had to pull out my phone and make the change at the counter, in front of her.

New departure time: 1700. Now I'm allowed in

I like lounges, because I can go in, grab a drink, sit down, and then attend to my business in comfort. I do not appreciate having to conduct that business before being allowed in.

I should have just used the United Club
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What a crappy policy.

I have an 1845 flight. I arrived at the lounge at 1508, 3 hours and 37 minutes before departure.

My intention was to go in, grab a drink, sit down, and change my flight so I wouldn't have to sit here for 3 hours.

Nope. Can't get in. So I had to pull out my phone and make the change at the counter, in front of her.

I like lounges, because I can go in, grab a drink, sit down, and then attend to my business in comfort. I do not appreciate having to conduct that business before being allowed in.

You need to be seated in a lounge, drink in hand, before you can manage the Herculean task of ... clicking “change flight” on your iPhone?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
What a crappy policy.

Welcome to the new world of travel. Unfortunately, due to generous credit card opportunities, constant blogging of said opportunities, etc. there is simply very little that is exclusive remaining in the world of travel. What you experienced is the new normal and quite likely gets worse, not better, from here on out. Only you can decide if you are ok with that. If not, cancel the card, if so, well, welcome to what you just experienced.

Regards
m.photog likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:34 pm

Apparently more than a few AMEX card holders aren't happy with upcoming time limit restrictions to Centurion lounges; and Conde Nast Traveller has gotten wind of the story.

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/ame...ges-time-limit
ZJ3000 likes this.

Last edited by BugsyPal; Mar 4, 2019 at 4:09 am Reason: Moderator request for further details.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by joe_miami
You need to be seated in a lounge, drink in hand, before you can manage the Herculean task of ... clicking “change flight” on your iPhone?
I do as well, why not?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I do as well, why not?
Well, because in the case of the poster we are talking about he/she wasn't allowed to and after 3/22 definitely won't be allowed to if not in accordance with the new, documented terms and conditions. Is that a good enough reason why not?

Regards
Statman likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, because in the case of the poster we are talking about he/she wasn't allowed to and after 3/22 definitely won't be allowed to if not in accordance with the new, documented terms and conditions. Is that a good enough reason why not?

Regards
I was agreeing with cansdiancow.. meaning I would like to be in the lounge with drink in hand before conducting business
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Probably took canadiancow longer to type the complaint than change his flight.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
What a crappy policy.

I don't t see what the problem is. Since you were denied access before 3/22, I assume the lounge is getting close to capacity. Amex is enforcing the 3 hour rule when it reaches capacity so that people who have flights within 3 hours can use it.

When the lounge is that crowed, may be you should use the United lounge so you can change your flight in comfort.
krazykanuck and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
What a crappy policy. ... Can't get in. So I had to pull out my phone and make the change at the counter, in front of her.

That's the thing: ANY policy they implement to reduce lounge crowding is going to affect someone, and that person is going to have a "rolls-eyes" crappy experience of being denied entry. The ones that have large families will complain about the solo travelers entering the lounge 3+ hours beforehand. People in your situation might complain about the people using it as an arrivals lounge. And so on an so forth with any capacity-restricting policy.

I like lounges, because I can go in, grab a drink, sit down, and then attend to my business in comfort.
You can't sit down in the lounge, get a drink in a reasonable amount of time, or enjoy comfort if the lounge is full.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I was agreeing with cansdiancow.. meaning I would like to be in the lounge with drink in hand before conducting business
Oh, I know you were. And I'm just saying that in the "new" reality of lounge access, what happened to cansdiancow is likely the new norm and what one "wants" might not be what one gets.

Regards
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I got a very nice phone call from a very nice lady at Amex corporate. Her points:
  1. A month to get back to me is excessive, and she apologized for that. She clearly had access to all my attempts to communicate (which I did not discuss here) and was unhappy that several led nowhere because they were re-directed to unhelpful places. They are closely monitoring crowding complaints, because...(see next point)
  2. The policies may change in the future, based on the feedback they are getting.
  3. They will be trying to integrate with PP better, such as directing people to Yankee Pier, Giants Clubhouse and Air France. She was unaware that the AF lounge requires a BP for a Terminal A departure, according to PP rules, but they are at least trying to be better with providing alternatives.
  4. While several people here thought "suck it up" was the right response on may part, she disagreed with that. She also agreed with me that "subject to availability" should have been the last resort, not the starting place.
  5. They are looking at several options for solving this long-term, including expanding the space they have.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Some American Express Lounges may have already changed the access rules to the rules starting March 22nd for the Centurion lounges.

I was told that the American Express Lounge in Stockholm stopped allowing on-arrival access with a same day boarding pass on or around January 27th, 2019 and access was allowed to Platinum and Centurion cardholders only upon presentation of a same-day onward/departing boarding pass from ARN. It was made quite clear that Amex previously had no issue with paying for on-arrival access but no longer wants to pay for on-arrival access. The American Express Lounge at ARN is operated by the Pontus restaurant group.

FWIW or not, Amex lounge finders online still don’t mention anything about such lounge currently requiring the same day boarding pass to be an onward /departing boarding pass. So is it the lounge or Amex that jumped the gun in cracking down on arrival access and doing so without advance notice? That lounge space was definitely not close to capacity. It was overwhelmingly empty and remained so for hours at about the time of the above discovery of the policy change coming sooner than expected.

In terms of the longer term, I wouldn’t be surprised if Amex starts selling Amex lounge memberships to Amex card holders with graduated pricing of sort for unlimited access for the card holder (+ 1, or maybe, 2 guests) and borrows from the airline lounge membership pricing models.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 3, 2019 at 2:55 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mia
Starting March 29:
March 29, or March 22?

The following now mentions March 22:
https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access

Which change is going live on March 29th that isn’t going live on the 22nd?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder

March 29, or March 22?
Sorry, I do not remember. Whichever date is mentioned in the Wikipost is correct.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.