Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2019, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Steve M
While there's usually room for abuse with most rules, I think you're making the false assumption that everyone that really wants to use the lounge is dishonest.
No need to play semantics to read something that isn't there.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Some flights board approximately 45 minutes or so before departure. I wish the three-hour rule was amended from departure time to boarding time. Sometimes we have a long layover we would like to use the club for an extended period of time…
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
....Sometimes we have a long layover we would like to use the club for an extended period of time…
Starting March 29:

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Thanks Mia, are you saying that starting March 29 with a connecting boarding pass we have unlimited time at the club?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Well, not “unlimited,” but not limited to three hours before departure.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Thanks Mia, are you saying that starting March 29 with a connecting boarding pass we have unlimited time at the club?
Also, note that the policy mentions "proof of connecting flight", not specifically a boarding pass. Obviously no one knows yet how this will work in practice, but hopefully this will alleviate issues with not being able to obtain BPs in advance due to check-in conformance issues.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gengar
Also, note that the policy mentions "proof of connecting flight", not specifically a boarding pass. Obviously no one knows yet how this will work in practice, but hopefully this will alleviate issues with not being able to obtain BPs in advance due to check-in conformance issues.
Seems like the “proof of a connecting flight” refers to the inbound flight and not the outbound. Otherwise, anyone could screenshot a bogus outbound reservation and claim to be connecting. (Obviously, people could actually book a refundable outbound, but that’s more involved and carries more risk.)
Old Feb 26, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Seems like the “proof of a connecting flight” refers to the inbound flight and not the outbound. Otherwise, anyone could screenshot a bogus outbound reservation and claim to be connecting. (Obviously, people could actually book a refundable outbound, but that’s more involved and carries more risk.)
If not a BP from the inbound flight, then anyone originating from the airport could easily produce a fake inbound itinerary as well.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:07 pm
Suspended

If not a BP from the inbound flight, then anyone originating from the airport could easily produce a fake inbound itinerary as well.
Indeed, which is why it’s hard to imagine anything other than BPs will be allowed. The percentage of connecting pax who are airside* but unable to obtain and show a BP has to be minuscule.

(I know one or more lounges are landside.)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
No need to play semantics to read something that isn't there.
That was not my intention.

... whereas those who are inclined to follow the rules get screwed. Anyone who could stand-by for an earlier flight could also just buy a refundable ticket and have the BP for access, in the same way that I'm sure some people will abuse a refundable ticket to gain access on arrival.
Someone could present a fake ID and also claim that they "forgot" their Platinum card and borrow the identity of a friend and gain access. Should they not have an ID requirement because of this potential for abuse? If the mode of abuse is such that it's widespread and flagrant, with few people following the rules, then your argument follows. But in other cases, just because there are a small percentage of people that cheat and work around the rule doesn't mean that the rule isn't worthwhile.

To this specific example, consider the case of someone that from time to time would benefit from entering the lounge more than 3 hours prior to departure. Although it may be inconvenient to them on those occasions, they don't always "get screwed." Consider that for the times that they do enter the lounge within the new time parameters, they will benefit from less crowding.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:31 am

That was not my intention.
Then best not to make assumptions in order to accuse me of making false assumptions. I acknowledge my colloquial use of a rather subjective term, but even if you are going to play semantics, it's still better to inquire as to my meaning rather than to leap to assume things that aren't written.

If the mode of abuse is such that it's widespread and flagrant, with few people following the rules, then your argument follows. But in other cases, just because there are a small percentage of people that cheat and work around the rule doesn't mean that the rule isn't worthwhile.
But that wasn't my argument. What I've been pointing out a few times in this thread is that a rule better have an overwhelmingly positive impact on the customerbase as a whole if it is also going to negatively impact some customers. That's why I brought up BP abuse vs standby abuse, because it has to be taken in the context of refusing entry to legitimate standby passengers. In a vacuum, it doesn't matter the percentage of abusers or the percentage of legitimate standby passengers; only that the improvement in lounge crowding better overwhelmingly be of benefit versus the legitimate standby passengers who are now refused access. Specifically in the post you responded to, I pointed out how easily the new rules can be abused. That's why I'm not convinced the rules will have that overwhelmingly positive impact.

I have certainly never made the argument that because a rule can be abused, it should not exist.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
While I thought the changes to arrival-access being limited in late March, SEA denied me entry today pointing to their sign.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
The rule has been in place on an as needed basis. However, it will be a fixed rule regardless of crowding starting on 3/22
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SP03
The rule has been in place on an as needed basis. However, it will be a fixed rule regardless of crowding starting on 3/22
My unscientific observation is that they seem to magically get crowded enough to need the sign around 11am regardless of how busy they are.

Last week I used IAH on arrival and was let in without issue at about 10:35 am and by the time I left at 11:10 the sign was out.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
In the off chance that a cardholder has tossed the BP for the inbound flight, the rep could verify the inbound flight by pulling up the itinerary using the record locator, or the cardholder could do the same on a smartphone and show it to the lounge agent. Better yet, don't toss the inbound flight boarding pass if you have a long connection and want to use the Centurion Lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.