FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1648119-centurion-lounge-crowding-2015-2019-a.html)

taliesin Jan 27, 2015 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 24244093)
Yes, AUs get the same access to Centurion Lounges and Delta SkyClubs as primary cardholders. Not sure about Priority Pass Select.

My recollection is that AUs can get the Priority Pass Select card, but you have to call in, you can't just do it online like you can for the primary.

But yes, AUs absolutely get the same access to Delta and Centurion lounges as the primary cardholders.

PWMTrav Jan 27, 2015 3:59 pm

AUs get the same lounge privileges as the primary. My wife hasn't bothered to call in for PPS, but I'm sure she went to the Skyclub at DTW last week with no problem. Centurion lounges should work exactly the same.

Tibs Jan 27, 2015 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by dw (Post 24244093)
Yes, AUs get the same access to Centurion Lounges and Delta SkyClubs as primary cardholders. Not sure about Priority Pass Select.

If the OP held the Delta Reserve Amex and was referring to a LGA SkyClub, the story would make perfect sense. Not sure why an AU on a Plat or Cent card would be turned away from a lounge. (And don't know how a Centurion Lounge staff member could have changed a ticket.)

+1 - Completely absurd to turn away an AU (and how can they tell anyway?).

I have never seen my AUs turned away, or heard of such, ever. They have PPS, SPG Gold, have used GE credit and just about every benefit I have, sans the $200.

kennycrudup Jan 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by taliesin (Post 24239285)
It's worth it to you to go through security an extra time to visit the SFO Centurion Lounge?

Dunno about that person, but as a nearly-exclusive WN (T1) flier, I take advantage of the 100% TSA Pre-Check I get thanks to AmEx paying for my GE a few years back. I spend more time walking back and forth between gates than any time in security.

My issue when flying out of SFO is I'm usually getting there right around when my flight is due to start boarding and have no time to use the lounge.

TMM1982 Jan 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Tibs (Post 24245481)

They could just ask. "Are you the primary or AU?"

Also it's absolute absurdity if a Centurion Cardholder was turned away. If a lounge is full and a Centurion wants to get in, security needs to go into the lounge and tell a plat person to leave.

taliesin Jan 28, 2015 12:48 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24246925)

Also it's absolutely absurdity if a Centurion Cardholder was turned away. If a lounge is full and a Centurion wants to get in, security needs to go into the lounge and tell a plat person to leave.

I hope you're kidding. I think I might get arrested if that happened to me. In any case no wise would I keep the Platinum card after that.

f0xx Jan 28, 2015 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Tibs (Post 24245481)

I have never seen my AUs turned away, or heard of such, ever. They have PPS, SPG Gold, have used GE credit and just about every benefit I have, sans the $200.

The last 5 digits of the card. All my AU's have some weird numbers going on.

TMM1982 Jan 28, 2015 12:52 am

Originally Posted by taliesin (Post 24247547)
In any case no wise would I keep the Platinum card after that.

Then AMEX is out $450. If a Centurion gets turned away, they're likely to cancel and then AMEX is out an ungodly amount of money.

taliesin Jan 28, 2015 12:54 am

Originally Posted by f0xx (Post 24247548)
The last 5 digits of the card. All my AU's have some weird numbers going on.

Maybe the next-to-last digit? Mine ends in 01008 and my AU ends in 01024. I have two other Amex cards and both of them have zero as the next-to-last digit. So perhaps a non-zero penultimate digit indicates an AU.

SusanDK Jan 28, 2015 1:06 am

Regarding turning away a Centurion cardholder and/or removing someone from the lounge to make space, one would hope that the lounge manages space a bit wisely. They could 'close due to capacity' for all except Cents once they reach, say 95% capacity.

That way, if a Cent comes along, they are still permitted in, but with no need to remove anyone who has already been granted access. Non-Cents would be denied entrance for new entry, but not asked to vacate.

It isn't rocket science, just a bit of space and crowd management. There cannot be that many Cents at a single lounge at any one time that they would not be able to handle it in this way.

krazykanuck Jan 28, 2015 3:52 am

Originally Posted by drwilliams (Post 24242544)
Only AMEX knows how many members bring in how many guests, but I would be surprised if that many members bring in two guests. Lots of single travellers, some travellers in pairs, but many trios?

Based on my unscientific people watching, I think most are single pax, people with a spouse, and occasionally a group of adults (maybe coworkers).

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24246925)

Also it's absolute absurdity if a Centurion Cardholder was turned away. If a lounge is full and a Centurion wants to get in, security needs to go into the lounge and tell a plat person to leave.

In your world, maybe different classes of cardholders should wear different colored hats or vests for easy identification. :p

Originally Posted by taliesin (Post 24247560)
Maybe the next-to-last digit? Mine ends in 01008 and my AU ends in 01024. I have two other Amex cards and both of them have zero as the next-to-last digit. So perhaps a non-zero penultimate digit indicates an AU.

That would be consistent with my Platinum and AU cards...

scubadu Jan 28, 2015 5:29 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 24247556)
Then AMEX is out $450. If a Centurion gets turned away, they're likely to cancel and then AMEX is out an ungodly amount of money.

Ummm... wow, just wow. You seem to be a bit full of yourself.

The evidence in this forum pretty clearly demonstrates that almost nothing will cause a Centurion cardholder to cancel, certainly not being turned away from an airport lounge one time. Centurion benefits have been moderately and consistently decimated over the years and cardholders happily continue paying the fee "hoping" that the card will get rejuvenated at some indeterminate time in the future. And as this forum has also clearly shown for every Cent cardholder that cancels, there is literally a line a mile deep of people with their noses desperately pushed against the window literally begging to be invited in. Any Cent cardholder that cancelled could be replaced five fold in a day.

And though Amex certainly likes to appease Cent cardholders, if you believe the much smaller number of Cent card holders generate more ongoing revenue for Amex than the cumulative Platinum cardholder base you are out of your mind. Amex absolutely needs to keep platinum cardholders happy; there are a crap load more of them.

Regards

MBS MillionMiler Jan 28, 2015 7:12 am

While there were other reasons, the PRIMARY reason I just signed up for PLAT was for the CL in Vegas. I'm there 6-7 times a year and am already making good use of it--both when I land and when I depart. I'll have ancillary stops in SFO and DFW on occasion, so that was a slight factor too--and praying for the day they add ORD.

If suddenly I can't enter without a fee, I might downgrade to Gold, or I might just drop AMEX altogether.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that when they opened these first few lounges, they had very little traffic due to only allowing Centurion cardholders in. For the size of the LAS lounge (I think it's relatively big compared to the United Club, for example) if they were only letting in CENTS when it first opened, it was a waste of space. They probably ran the numbers and figured it was in their best interest to expand it to PLATS.

And three visits to the LAS lounge this year already, and never was I not able to find a seat...Once VERY early--5:30am (only 4-5 people in the lounge when I arrived), once mid-morning--9:00am (I'd say 40% full), and once at around 7pm (maybe a little more than half-full).

Soccerdad1995 Jan 28, 2015 9:26 am

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler (Post 24248942)
While there were other reasons, the PRIMARY reason I just signed up for PLAT was for the CL in Vegas. I'm there 6-7 times a year and am already making good use of it--both when I land and when I depart. I'll have ancillary stops in SFO and DFW on occasion, so that was a slight factor too--and praying for the day they add ORD.

If suddenly I can't enter without a fee, I might downgrade to Gold, or I might just drop AMEX altogether.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my guess is that when they opened these first few lounges, they had very little traffic due to only allowing Centurion cardholders in. For the size of the LAS lounge (I think it's relatively big compared to the United Club, for example) if they were only letting in CENTS when it first opened, it was a waste of space. They probably ran the numbers and figured it was in their best interest to expand it to PLATS.

And three visits to the LAS lounge this year already, and never was I not able to find a seat...Once VERY early--5:30am (only 4-5 people in the lounge when I arrived), once mid-morning--9:00am (I'd say 40% full), and once at around 7pm (maybe a little more than half-full).

My experience with the LAS CL is the same as yours, but I have only gone there late at night as I usually take the redeye from Vegas back home, and just sleep on the plane. I have been there about 6-8 times since it opened and have never had any trouble finding space to relax. The food selection at that lounge leaves a lot to be desired compared to the other CL's, but that might have something to do with the fact that I never get there before midnight.

Universal Jan 28, 2015 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995 (Post 24249869)
My experience with the LAS CL is the same as yours, but I have only gone there late at night as I usually take the redeye from Vegas back home, and just sleep on the plane. I have been there about 6-8 times since it opened and have never had any trouble finding space to relax. The food selection at that lounge leaves a lot to be desired compared to the other CL's, but that might have something to do with the fact that I never get there before midnight.

Same here with LAS. I've been in twice. Once I almost had the place to myself. The other time there were maybe 20 others in there.

I also love the location, as I typically fly US Airways to Vegas and the lounge was very close to my gate on both occasions. Super convenient.