Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:21 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mdosu
Those that complain about the SEA overcrowding, I'm wondering why do you not just use your PP and go to the Alaska Airlines Board Room? SEA Centurion Lounge is not a full service food location, and likely is on par with the Alaska Airlines lounge at that point. Based on the photos I see, you get some drinks and cold snacks and that's about it.

You can also go to the Delta lounge, which also has actual food (meals) and drinks.

I'm just posing a question here, I've never been to any of the lounges I've mentioned.
The Alaska Lounge is just as crowded, if not more so, than the Centurion Lounge. Plus depending on where your flight is, it might also be really far out of your way.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mdosu
Seriously though, what did you expect them to do? Kick members out?
Your post is not "serious." I'm looking for a future solution, not a past remedy.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by cmd320
So what do you suggest?
Strict limit of member plus one guest, except for Centurions. No kids or extended families.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
... I'm looking for a future solution...
Earlier discussions of possible solutions have included:

1. Eliminating or reducing the number of guests that can accompany a cardholder.
  2. Eliminating guests during peak periods.
  3. Capping the number of free visits per year.
  4. Eliminating lounge access as a Supplementary Card benefit.
  5. Limiting the duration of lounge visits.
  6. Increasing the number of lounges (to reduce crowding caused by passengers choosing to make connections at a specific airport.)
  7. Raising the effective annual fee of the Platinum Card from $250 to reduce the number of cardholders.

If you had an opportunity to speak with someone with decision making authority, which solution(s) would you advocate -and- why? (There are probably others that I have forgotten.)

I see that in the time it took me to compose this list you have selected #1.

Last edited by mia; Aug 4, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Nothing will change until the elephant in the room is acknowledged: the lounges were sized for the original concept of paid admission for all except Centurion holders. Amex chose not to go to that model when the "trial period" ended. Hence, the current mess.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob/UA Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
Strict limit of member plus one guest, except for Centurions. No kids or extended families.
Plats should get 4 "guest passes" per year, $25/guest thereafter (50% off). Unlimited guesting is unnecessary.

I don't think you can block kids or extended families, but at least make it financially painful- most folks, including myself when I travelled with my kids, would probably skip it. Or they'd get cards for their kids and then Amex could afford to build more/bigger lounges.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Nothing will change until the elephant in the room is acknowledged: the lounges were sized for the original concept of paid admission for all except Centurion holders. Amex chose not to go to that model when the "trial period" ended. Hence, the current mess.
Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:47 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
I don't think that's true except possibly for LAS and DFW. All of the other lounges were designed and built after the decision was made to let Platinums in gratis.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:51 pm

But, would this result in lounge under utilization, closing of a meaningful number of platinum accounts, and then ultimately the closing of the lounges?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Let's suppose that American Express eliminated free Centurion Lounge access for Platinum cardholders, and then offered to allow us to redeem our $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit for a membership with the same access as now, Would you do it?
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Troopers
But, would this result in lounge under utilization, closing of a meaningful number of platinum accounts, and then ultimately the closing of the lounges?
It is a bad situation either way. The lounge overcrowding reflects very poorly on Amex right now. They need to come up with a solution. We've discussed different options in this thread, but of course we don't count for anything except spreading awareness of the problem to readers of this thread.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Let's suppose that American Express eliminated free Centurion Lounge access for Platinum cardholders, and then offered to allow us to redeem our $200 airline fee reimbursement benefit for a membership with the same access as now, Would you do it?
Assuming $25pp per visit and less than 2 hours in lounge, no.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by mia
If AMEX would greatly increase the coverage yes. For full disclosure I'm a DC resident and fly DL, so the only lounge that I really use is LAS.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by United747
LAS is packed right now. I only managed to grab one of the odd orange relaxation chairs.

The lady across from me has her dog laying on the chair
Whats your definition of packed?

My buddy and I arrived at ~noon, had no problem getting a table and there were open ones.

I left around 1:15 and it was still open, and there was deff a bar stool that I left.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
It is a bad situation either way. The lounge overcrowding reflects very poorly on Amex right now. They need to come up with a solution. We've discussed different options in this thread, but of course we don't count for anything except spreading awareness of the problem to readers of this thread.
I'm probably in the minority...over crowding is not that big of a deal to me. I don't expect an exclusive lounge with limited number of people.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.