Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by cmd320
You can thank AA's rebanked hubs for that, at least at DFW and MIA. I can spend 3-4 hours sitting and waiting at DFW and see the lounge go from almost every seat filled to about 15-20 people left in a matter of about 30 minutes. Then 90 minutes later people start filtering back in.
When are those busy times at DFW?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
When are those busy times at DFW?
I've never taken note of the times.. I've been to the DFW lounge, probably over 50 times, and I think I've only witnessed severe crowding (no seats) once or twice.

I've been to the SFO one 30 or so times, and I have seen that one frequently more crowded, often requiring me to ask to share a table.

I've been to LAS several times, and never had a problem with crowds.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by nyc2socal
I've never taken note of the times.. I've been to the DFW lounge, probably over 50 times, and I think I've only witnessed severe crowding (no seats) once or twice.

I've been to the SFO one 30 or so times, and I have seen that one frequently more crowded, often requiring me to ask to share a table.

I've been to LAS several times, and never had a problem with crowds.
+1 on this. I think part of the crowding at SFO is people often won't ask to share a table or are pompous ****s and will claim that entire table is taken. Also those who spread their crap out around their laptop & take up half that big wooden table by the wine wall.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Various
Sounds like it's at the point that it will cause dissatisfaction - offering a benefit and then providing a poor experience is not sustainable.

I think the simple solution is to make guests be chargeable if they don't have their own eligible card. I think $25 per guest is fair given the value that is on offer in the lounge. For a long time, any guests on my Priority Pass issued by Centurion were chargeable, until a few years ago when it was first guest is free. I regularly take 2 or 3 guests into a lounge and have no qualms about paying for it. I am going to be consuming food/drink after all.

Yes I know some people will say it is part of the benefits, but then we all know that they are subject to change. A $450 Platinum card, that gives you $200 airline credit which I think most people utilize, still gets you as the cardholder access to some of the best lounges in the US is hardly worth throwing your toys out about if you then had to pay for your guests.

Last edited by RichardMannion; Feb 16, 2016 at 11:38 am
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
How does a guest fee reduce crowding?

A) Does the cardholder enter and leave the guests in the terminal?
B) Does the cardholder skip the lounge entirely when travelling with guests?
C) Does the cardholder close or downgrade the American Express card account?

If crowding is only a peak problem is a guest fee a good policy choice if some cardholders will cancel or downgrade?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RichardMannion
Sounds like it's at the point that it will cause dissatisfaction - offering a benefit and then providing a poor experience is not sustainable.

I think the simple solution is to make guests be chargeable if they don't have their own eligible card. I think $25 per guest is fair given the value that is on offer in the lounge. For a long time, any guests on my Priority Pass issued by Centurion were chargeable, until a few years ago when it was first guest is free. I regularly take 2 or 3 guests into a lounge and have no qualms about paying for it. I am going to be consuming food/drink after all.

Yes I know some people will say it is part of the benefits, but then we all know that they are subject to change. A $450 Platinum card, that gives you $200 airline credit which I think most people utilize, still gets you as the cardholder access to some of the best lounges in the US is hardly worth throwing your toys out about if you then had to pay for your guests.
I don't completely agree. I personally feel they should reduce the guest allowance from two to one person including family members. What I find absolutely ridiculous is when one individual guests in their wife/husband and two children. Putting an end to that will help a lot.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 12:22 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by mia
How does a guest fee reduce crowding?

A) Does the cardholder enter and leave the guests in the terminal?
B) Does the cardholder skip the lounge entirely when travelling with guests?
C) Does the cardholder close or downgrade the American Express card account?

If crowding is only a peak problem is a guest fee a good policy choice if some cardholders will cancel or downgrade?
If guests were not allowed, would there be a crowding problem? I get the impression not.

If people have to pay to take a guest in, reading the thread here it looks like there would be a fair split that would not pay so would then skip the lounge. This reduces crowding. That's their choice, no one is forcing them to pay or to keep the card. How many other high end lounge memberships that allow any guests are available for $250/year? I learned that you can never please everyone, if someone wants to cancel then that's their choice. They will still need to find an alternative if they want to go into a lounge.

The additional revenue stream could be use to fund larger spaces or better capacity options.

You could also cap the guests like the other poster suggested. And yes, kids should count as a guest.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I don't think reducing guests will change much of anything. A lot of people are using the club solo and if they frequently travel with their spouse they can just add them as an authorized user for a nominal fee.

The fact is that a lot of people have Amex Platinum cards and the Centurion Lounges are miles better than any competing airline lounge. Until the airline lounges get much better or the Platinum card become harder to get the lounges will stay crowded.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
I don't think reducing guests will change much of anything. A lot of people are using the club solo and if they frequently travel with their spouse they can just add them as an authorized user for a nominal fee.
+1 - Most of the people I see at the lounge appear to be solo (hence the ability to share a table). I'm not saying there aren't guests, but visually, it appears the majority of the folks in the lounges are solo. 1 or 2 families, a few couples, but the rest appear to be solo. I think I've only guested people twice (in the almost 100 visits). Once for 2 people in SFO, and once for 1 person in LAS.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1 - Most of the people I see at the lounge appear to be solo (hence the ability to share a table). I'm not saying there aren't guests, but visually, it appears the majority of the folks in the lounges are solo. 1 or 2 families, a few couples, but the rest appear to be solo. I think I've only guested people twice (in the almost 100 visits). Once for 2 people in SFO, and once for 1 person in LAS.
Last time I was in MIA, more than half the people in there were groups resembling families. Large families too.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cmd320
Last time I was in MIA, more than half the people in there were groups resembling families. Large families too.
Same at EZE, was insane, I left.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:24 am
formerly chrisbarnett01

I rarely see anyone but solo's, but I tend to fly at random times and days. I have never been alone in a lounge, but pretty close to it.

The only time I have ever brought a guest into a Centurion was last month as LAS.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sitting in the MIA lounge now, when I walked in around 830am the place was very busy, only one or two open tables. Tons of couples and families. From about 845-915 things gradually quieted down and now it's a lot of solo travelers with about 40% of the tables/chairs empty.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Same at EZE, was insane, I left.
Hmm.. Never been to the MIA or EZE lounges....
Old Feb 19, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not only is MIA Centurion Lounge always packed, but the food has gone downhill, at least the protein. Now it's just a little piece of chicken with starch in a tiny tasting portion size bowl. I feel so wasteful taking several and only eating the chicken, leaving over the starch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.