Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 8, 19, 11:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 8, 19, 10:57 pm
  #2101  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hawaii
Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Posts: 333
Centurion Lounge > 3 hours before flight

Hi guys

I have a connection in SFO and want to use the Cent lounge for the 1hr before the Polaris lounge opens. Technically speaking I'd be entering Cent at 5:30am, and my flight isn;'t until 9:45am. From real-world experience, does the 3hr rule still apply for connecting flights? Do I just need to show my previous BP..? Also, what if my guest has a flight that is later - which rules apply to them?

Thanks?
MDTyKe is offline  
Old Dec 8, 19, 11:38 pm
  #2102  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Posts: 543
For connecting flight, it should not apply. For the guest, not sure.
Gasolin is offline  
Old Dec 8, 19, 11:44 pm
  #2103  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hawaii
Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Posts: 333
The guest is connecting with me, but has a 10hr layover (Obviously they aren't staying; but they were going to accompany me for breakfast)
MDTyKe is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 7:48 am
  #2104  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 41,187
Originally Posted by MDTyKe View Post
..... Do I just need to show my previous BP..?
I think you need two boarding passes, one for the inbound flight and one for the outbound:

We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.
mia is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 8:28 am
  #2105  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: LAX
Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Posts: 4,581
Originally Posted by MDTyKe View Post
Hi guys

I have a connection in SFO and want to use the Cent lounge for the 1hr before the Polaris lounge opens. Technically speaking I'd be entering Cent at 5:30am, and my flight isn;'t until 9:45am. From real-world experience, does the 3hr rule still apply for connecting flights? Do I just need to show my previous BP..? Also, what if my guest has a flight that is later - which rules apply to them?

Thanks?
If you arrive at the lounge More than three hours in advance, they will ask you if you had another flight in which you were connecting from. If the answer is yes, they ask to see that boarding pass as well along with the boarding pass for the flight you’re about to board later in the day
mia likes this.
Flying Machine is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 4:11 pm
  #2106  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hawaii
Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Posts: 333
Thanks. And the guest..? Or does that just depend on my ticket?
MDTyKe is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 6:49 pm
  #2107  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: home since March
Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Posts: 5,522
Originally Posted by MDTyKe View Post
Thanks. And the guest..? Or does that just depend on my ticket?
No Centurion Lounge I've ever been to has checked my guests' documents.
MDTyKe, cmd320 and safari ari like this.
gengar is offline  
Old Dec 9, 19, 6:54 pm
  #2108  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MCO
Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Posts: 9,641
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
No Centurion Lounge I've ever been to has checked my guests' documents.
Same, guests are guests. No credentials should be necessary.
MDTyKe likes this.
cmd320 is online now  
Old Dec 9, 19, 10:03 pm
  #2109  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: Delta
Posts: 61
The credit card perk is nearly useless now as I can never get into the lounge for a quick bite before my flight in Seattle. They also make you revalidate all your credentials AFTER they get your phone number and text you. I think this is overkill. Planning to cancel the card next year, they took too much away for the $500+ a year.
Hikmer01 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 5:55 pm
  #2110  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: $9 Fare Club
Posts: 185
A 'quick bite', the smallest lounge in the Centurion system and the 8th busiest airport in the US go together like toothpaste and orange juice. I sympathize, but expecting a quick dip in and out of an oversubscribed lounge is a stretch given public knowledge of how busy it it. Fwiw Amex need to at a minimum limit the free guesting to 1 person and figure out a more equitable solution for admitting families that is fair to solo travelers. If you have to pay extras for > 1 guest then so be it.
ChurnieEls is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:02 pm
  #2111  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: Delta
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post
A 'quick bite', the smallest lounge in the Centurion system and the 8th busiest airport in the US go together like toothpaste and orange juice. I sympathize, but expecting a quick dip in and out of an oversubscribed lounge is a stretch given public knowledge of how busy it it. Fwiw Amex need to at a minimum limit the free guesting to 1 person and figure out a more equitable solution for admitting families that is fair to solo travelers. If you have to pay extras for > 1 guest then so be it.
My last three to four attempts to access the lounge have all been the same. Perhaps build a bigger lounge (novel idea)? Limit the amount of time people can hang out? Something to get some use out of these perks other than being disappointed and wondering if you need to get a meal at the McDonalds instead of the lounge. If there isn't any consistency, then the value of the membership diminishes exponentially.
Hikmer01 is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:09 pm
  #2112  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 208
Originally Posted by Hikmer01 View Post
The credit card perk is nearly useless now as I can never get into the lounge for a quick bite before my flight in Seattle. They also make you revalidate all your credentials AFTER they get your phone number and text you. I think this is overkill. Planning to cancel the card next year, they took too much away for the $500+ a year.
Had to wait ~20 mins a couple of times @ SEA this year. Went to McDonalds because the food is better then hit the bar in the lounge because the bloody Mary's are free

Food in the lounge is definitely not up to much but I hate to be around the big crowds that lurk at the gates or in restaurants. Even a crowded lounge feels better
limeyx is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:34 pm
  #2113  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NYC (LGA, JFK, EWR)
Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
Posts: 2,057
I realize this may not be possible depending on where you fly, but I would fly Delta more and stop by the SkyClub for clam chowder and other good food options if I were SEA based
IndyHoosier likes this.
Adelphos is offline  
Old Dec 10, 19, 11:43 pm
  #2114  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SEA, or BOS, or other places. What day is it?
Programs: DL DM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 1,166
Originally Posted by Hikmer01 View Post
My last three to four attempts to access the lounge have all been the same. Perhaps build a bigger lounge (novel idea)? Limit the amount of time people can hang out?
They've already done both of these. Amex expanded the SEA "studio" into a "lounge" in 2017 (into the area where the bar and additional restrooms are, I'm pretty sure), but there was only so much they could do given the space available in that part of the airport. They've since added the 3 hour rule to limit the length of time people are in the lounge.

It's still crowded despite both of these changes (or perhaps in part because of the changes). With the Port of Seattle busy expanding the North Satellite and building the new International Arrivals Facility, I wouldn't expect Concourse B to get any attention for a while. My "workaround" is to fly Delta and use the nice new Sky Club around the corner.
CKDGM is offline  
Old Dec 15, 19, 3:44 pm
  #2115  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: Delta
Posts: 61
I understand there might be ways around the crowding but the point is that the card is losing its value. If I cannot use the rewards and entitlements when I need them, then the idea of having the Platinum card diminishes. I'm thinking this will be cancelled or downgraded sometime early next year.
Hikmer01 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: