Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Policy Changes effective March 22, 2019

NOTE: FOR PLATINUM CARD MEMBERS ONLY

The Centurion Lounge is a day of departure lounge. We will not admit arriving Platinum Card Members with boarding passes for flights that have just landed. We will admit Platinum Card Members with layovers or connecting flights who produce proof of connecting flight.

We will not admit Platinum Card Members more than 3 hours before the departure time on the Platinum Card Member’s same-day, confirmed boarding pass. This does not apply to Platinum Card Members with a connecting flight.

We will admit children under 2 years of age free of charge, provided an accompanying parent or guardian is able to produce a “lap infant” boarding pass or proof of age
Source: https://thecenturionlounge.com/info/access/
Print Wikipost

Centurion Lounge crowding (2015-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:40 am
Suspended

I think it’s more a realization of the lounge sizes and number of people instead of cost cutting.
mia and cuthroat like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by QtownDave
I think it’s more a realization of the lounge sizes and number of people instead of cost cutting.
For Centurion lounges, it’s been cost-cutting/revenue-enhancement too. And I doubt that Amex’s lounge-related cost-cutting/revenue-enhancement drive is over anytime soon.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
We are at the Centurion Lounge at LGA right now. Many of the nicer seats are taken but plenty of room at the bar and smaller tables. Most of the seats on the left past the entrance which are designed for couples are currently occupied by solo travelers.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m.photog
We are at the Centurion Lounge at LGA right now. Many of the nicer seats are taken but plenty of room at the bar and smaller tables.
I find that location is rarely uncomfortably crowded despite the small size. Probably helped significantly by the relative lack of connecting traffic vs. O&D traffic, and most people flying DL are probably not going to bother going there with the current construction/shuttle situation.
m.photog likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I find that location is rarely uncomfortably crowded despite the small size. Probably helped significantly by the relative lack of connecting traffic vs. O&D traffic, and most people flying DL are probably not going to bother going there with the current construction/shuttle situation.
Last month while at LGA’s Centurion lounge, as a party of two, I couldn’t find any seats anywhere to sit together except for at the bad end of the bar (the side furthest from the windows looking outside to the planes). And that was after wandering around for several minutes and waiting for some people to leave. Even finding a seat for just myself wasn’t going to be much better, but part of that problem was in how people spread themselves and/or their stuff around on furniture that could be shared but isn’t and thus getting a seat means disturbing them to sort of make room for strangers.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Last month while at LGA’s Centurion lounge, as a party of two, I couldn’t find any seats anywhere to sit together except for at the bad end of the bar (the side furthest from the windows looking outside to the planes). And that was after wandering around for several minutes and waiting for some people to leave. Even finding a seat for just myself wasn’t going to be much better, but part of that problem was in how people spread themselves and/or their stuff around on furniture that could be shared but isn’t and thus getting a seat means disturbing them to sort of make room for strangers.
Wow, I have no problem whatsoever asking someone who is using multiple seats for a single person to move their gear so that others can sit in the seats.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
Yeah. The weird thing about it is that while the lounge was crowded, it wasn't completely full. There were several empty seats at the counter against the wall when I was finally allowed in.
At the SEA lounge today, it was probably the least crowded I’ve seen it in the last year+, however, they wouldn’t let me in. I asked on a wait list and was told that only Centurion holders would be given access today. I asked if this was a new policy and was told that that is the policy for today but that in the future I _might_ be able to pay to get in.

For context, I’m the primary and only cardholder and I’ve had my AmEx plat for a decade.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Well Red

At the SEA lounge today, it was probably the least crowded I’ve seen it....
That's what one would expect if it were a Centurion-only lounge. Even though Seattle is the smallest location, I would be surprised if American Express were to change any location to Centurion-only without advance notice.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

At the SEA lounge today, it was probably the least crowded I’ve seen it in the last year+, however, they wouldn’t let me in. I asked on a wait list and was told that only Centurion holders would be given access today. I asked if this was a new policy and was told that that is the policy for today but that in the future I _might_ be able to pay to get in.

For context, I’m the primary and only cardholder and I’ve had my AmEx plat for a decade.
This doesn't sound right at all.
dhuey, m.photog and Stgermainparis like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Agreed... that’s why I’m posting here. I mean, I’ve seen that response before to non-PLT/Centurion holders trying to buy their way in. But never to a PLT. That’s also why I clarified the card I was using—to preempt the inevitable “you must not be a PLT/Centurion”. Lol

Anyways, it was very odd but the SEA lounge has always been “special”. Wasn’t it like an “Express” with limited benefits/services at one point? Anyways, if the general consensus is not that it is a new, SEA only policy then I’ll call them once I land to ask what’s up.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
How long was your interaction at the desk? It sounds like there was a miscommunication of some sort. I've never heard of a "Centurion only" day or restriction.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:28 pm
Suspended

That would be worthy of a call to Amex.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Agreed... that’s why I’m posting here. I mean, I’ve seen that response before to non-PLT/Centurion holders trying to buy their way in. But never to a PLT. That’s also why I clarified the card I was using—to preempt the inevitable “you must not be a PLT/Centurion”. Lol

Anyways, it was very odd but the SEA lounge has always been “special”. Wasn’t it like an “Express” with limited benefits/services at one point? Anyways, if the general consensus is not that it is a new, SEA only policy then I’ll call them once I land to ask what’s up.
For some lounges that have a dedicated Centurion-area inside an Amex lounge, the lounges can at times be full except for the area reserved for guests coming in with Centurion cards (and/or their holders). I wouldn’t be surprised to see more of that kind of thing happening, but something sounds off with the Centurion lounge at SEA unless they had some kind of event or situation going on that made them want to empty out the lounge of visitors for some period of time or minimize visitor count while trying to do something for an event or maintenance or something else that isn’t a daily occurrence.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by QtownDave
That would be worthy of a call to Amex.
Yes. And perhaps some sort of compensation (AF?).
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Seems unbelievable, as presented, to me as well. I'm not calling anyone dishonest, but this makes so sense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.