Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Points Match: 1 MR = 1 UA/AA Mile [Business card pilot program]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted: Points Match: 1 MR = 1 UA/AA Mile [Business card pilot program]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by allanfan
Is calling AMEX the only way to find out if one is targeted or not?
Are only OPEN card holders eligible? or biz card holders?
I have AMEX Plat, but am not sure how to tell if targeted.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are only OPEN card holders eligible? or biz card holders?
OPEN cards are Business cards.

Only OPEN Card Members that were sent the offer by American Express may redeem the offer.
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...ss/pointsmatch
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Robl
Good info. I was waiting for the first person to try this. How many MR did it cost?
135K roundtrip F, same as a Saver award.

Note that the agent did go to AA.com to confirm the award space was indeed legitimate.

I'm not condoning this, but the agent said that if I want to make any changes, I can call the same office or AA directly, pay the change fee, and choose any flight (not bound by award inventory). She was virtually selling this feature. Clearly, a big loophole.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:16 pm

Using Amex MR Booking with AA & UA to get to BKK

Does anyone know how to take advantage of American express's new booking to use it to get to BKK? Does either AA or UA fly there direct? If so from which city?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Sephy0205
Does anyone know how to take advantage of American express's new booking to use it to get to BKK? Does either AA or UA fly there direct? If so from which city?
Were you targeted for the offer?

AA and UA both have partners that fly to BKK, not sure about on AA/UA metal. I don't know the requirements of the new Amex MR offer.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Sephy0205
Neither AA metal nor UA metal serves BKK, so you cannot use Amex's FFP Mirror program to get to BKK. You can get close to BKK on both airlines, but not to Thailand itself.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:42 pm

How close could I get? Do they fly to Hong Kong?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes, both AA and UA fly to HKG. But I believe that UA also flies to Vietnam, which is even closer to BKK.

Of course, closer does not always mean cheaper, so if you're planning to pay your own way from the AA/UA city to BKK, check fares carefully.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
yes, AA flies DFW-HKG. Good luck finding any availability in Business or First though
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Originally Posted by Robl
Good info. I was waiting for the first person to try this. How many MR did it cost?

Good to know
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk Sephy0205 . Let's see how your query does here in the dedicated American Express MR forum. Please note that this thread may end up merged into another similar discussion.

Thanks!

Moderator, Information Desk

Last edited by mia; Jan 21, 2015 at 8:29 am Reason: Edit for context after merging into established thread in Membership Rewards forum.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, US Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Changing Dates on UA/AA "Award" Tickets

Originally Posted by callmedtop
135K roundtrip F, same as a Saver award.

Note that the agent did go to AA.com to confirm the award space was indeed legitimate.

I'm not condoning this, but the agent said that if I want to make any changes, I can call the same office or AA directly, pay the change fee, and choose any flight (not bound by award inventory). She was virtually selling this feature. Clearly, a big loophole.
I'm planning on a First/Business class ticket to JFK-SCL but my return date may well change. Your interaction with Amex indicates that the tickets it procures under this test program will be restricted and subject to change fees. Can anyone confirm if Amex has addressed this issue in some other way?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dbeauh
I'm planning on a First/Business class ticket to JFK-SCL but my return date may well change. Your interaction with Amex indicates that the tickets it procures under this test program will be restricted and subject to change fees. Can anyone confirm if Amex has addressed this issue in some other way?
Yes, they are restricted fares. The ticket I was issued is a non-refundable F ticket to Asia that has a $400 change fee. Still seems well worth it to me.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:15 am

What do you mean by restricted?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myb821
What do you mean by restricted?
I should say non-refundable. It's a non-refundable fare.

That said, I'm not sure what happens when you do a one-way award and it's a refundable fare. I assume that if you make any changes, the amount would be refunded back to Amex and you'd be SOL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.