Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happyvoid
What do you guys think of transferring MR points to Asiamiles?
1. Only if you're absolutely sure that you'll use the Asiamiles up 100% within 3 years, no matter what happens with availability. That's because AsiaMiles (like so many airline programs in that part of the world) has a "hard expiration" which cannot be extended.

2. Be ready to be forced to use two-factor authentication using your smartphone anytime you want to log into the AsiaMiles site. I had an AsiaMiles account for years with never any miles in it (that I originally got for checking oneworld availability), and they told me I"d need to do that soon, and I don't want to, so I just cancelled my account. Unlike any other site I use that has two-factor authentication, AsiaMiles only allows a mobile phone to be used, not for example an alternate email address or security questions.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by sdsearch
1. Only if you're absolutely sure that you'll use the Asiamiles up 100% within 3 years, no matter what happens with availability. That's because AsiaMiles (like so many airline programs in that part of the world) has a "hard expiration" which cannot be extended.

2. Be ready to be forced to use two-factor authentication using your smartphone anytime you want to log into the AsiaMiles site. I had an AsiaMiles account for years with never any miles in it (that I originally got for checking oneworld availability), and they told me I"d need to do that soon, and I don't want to, so I just cancelled my account. Unlike any other site I use that has two-factor authentication, AsiaMiles only allows a mobile phone to be used, not for example an alternate email address or security questions.
Yes because I know with AA and delta I have a lot of those earned from other cards asiamiles is the only one that is harder to earn
Old Jul 2, 2018, 7:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Be aware that transfers to Asia Miles can be very slow:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...nightmare.html

American Airlines and Cathay Pacific are both OneWorld members. What would be the benefit of accumulating Asia Miles if you already have a large AA balance?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Alaska Gold MVP, AA, UAL
Hawaii Based Traveler: Best Transfer Options

My husband and I just moved to Honolulu last month after 32 years in Seattle and the Bay Area. This move was not in my plans when we applied for our Amex Premier rewards cards last year. We currently have 33k +58k points. We will close out the accounts once we have completed our partner transfers. Our primary card is Chase Sapphire Reserve, so we could make additional partner transfers to top out any award requirements.

My original travel plan was to fly to the Far East in business class, either to or from, via Singapore Air. But it would now require that we fly to either SFO or LAX first...which we could do—it would just extend our trip by a few days. I already have 82k miles in Krisflyer to cover the redemption for one business class seat. The miles expire in mid-2019. We are thinking about fitting in a cruise as part of that trip, so options would include Japan, Singapore, or Hong Kong. We would also be interested in Thailand or even India.

I have read that United might be an option, but that would only be for domestic travel and we want to focus on international travel.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I have a bunch of miles with SQ. Enough for a one way long haul. I almost have enough amex MRs for another long haul ticket for the return. Should I just go ahead and dump my points into SQ? I do want to return to asia so I could do a roundtrip in suites with a layover in europe. I'm just worried that if I move the points over to SQ i won't be able to clear the waitlists and I am wondering if there is another program I should consider? I'm also looking at trying to arrange a trip to the middle east.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 6:39 am
mia

Originally Posted by Red259
....Should I just go ahead and dump my points into SQ? ...
Two reservations:

Transferring on speculation has an opportunity cost, because you no longer have the opportunity to transfer to another program if your circumstances change.

Be aware of SQ's expiration policy.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Two reservations:

Transferring on speculation has an opportunity cost, because you no longer have the opportunity to transfer to another program if your circumstances change.

Be aware of SQ's expiration policy.
I will have travel coming up over the next three years. The only issue is if they let me redeem.In terms of the speculation I'm not sure I see many other options. I like to redeem for long haul international flights in F, and I am not seeing a whole lot of options with MRs beyond krisflyer within that type of criteria. I could be missing stuff though.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

look at avail on middle eastern airlines?

are you closing amex accounts?
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
look at avail on middle eastern airlines?

are you closing amex accounts?
Nah I'm not closing Amex accounts but I am looking to start waitlisting SQ roundtrip tickets in suites. If I wait list each leg separately I will have to pay the layover fee of $100, but if I wait list it as a roundtrip then I would get the layover for free. The problem is once I move the points to krisflyer they are stuck there and that can be a problem if I can't get wait lists to clear in both directions. I don't care about this much if I don't really have any other redemption options for my Amex MRs other than SQ, but I would hate to transfer to that program and then realize I could have used the points in another way to greater effect. Maybe I will just wait list the individual segments with the SQ points I have now and if it clears transfer points over and just eat the layover fee. Primarily interested in first class redemptions or maybe J on long hauls, so feels like my choices are limited somewhat.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Forgive the likely very dumb question, but I've never held an Amex MR card so I just wanted to clarify: the name on the miles/points account you're transferring to (e.g. Skymiles) must match the name of the person who holds the credit card, correct? So if my fiance got an Amex MR card, he wouldn't be able to transfer those points into my account?

Just wanted to clarify, as we're looking to open some new cards for shared household expenses.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
Forgive the likely very dumb question, but I've never held an Amex MR card so I just wanted to clarify: the name on the miles/points account you're transferring to (e.g. Skymiles) must match the name of the person who holds the credit card, correct? So if my fiance got an Amex MR card, he wouldn't be able to transfer those points into my account?

Just wanted to clarify, as we're looking to open some new cards for shared household expenses.
Yes name has to match
They mostly do not allow one account for a household with some exceptions
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by sciconf
Yes name has to match
They mostly do not allow one account for a household with some exceptions
Well, we'd probably open the card in one of our names and add the other as an authorized user and use that for all household expenses. Just deciding who should open the card - probably me, since I travel a lot more and can pool those points more usefully.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:22 pm
mia

Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
....So if my fiance got an Amex MR card, he wouldn't be able to transfer those points into my account?
If the cards are issued in the USA -and- if you hold an additional card on his American Express account, he would be able to transfer points to your account at "most" Membership Rewards partner airlines. Primary discussion here:

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If the cards are issued in the USA -and- if you hold an additional card on his American Express account, he would be able to transfer points to your account at "most" Membership Rewards partner airlines. Primary discussion here:

AMEX (USA) kills ability to transfer MR to non-account holder's airline or hotel acct
@mia - this is news to me.
Chase let me transfer once per calendar year - you might recall our earlier discussion
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by sciconf
@mia - this is news to me.
Chase let me transfer once per calendar year - you might recall our earlier discussion
Originally Posted by mia

FWIW- I'm not sure about the statement concerning "MOST" MR Partners. My wife has an AMEX Gold and I have AMEX Plat (Same Last Names). My wife has transferred her AMEX MR points to MY Delta Skymiles Account without issue. The key is "delinking" my Delta Skymiles Account temporarily from my AMEX MR and then linking my Delta Skymiles account to her AMEX MR. We have done this 6 or 7 times and as recent as late 2017. HOWEVER, this same scheme does NOT work for Etihad or Emirates. Ergo, I am not sure about the "Most" Partners.

Last edited by gpicur; Jul 29, 2018 at 1:44 pm Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.