Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2017, 1:30 pm

Hi, Im looking for a little advice, Im sure this has been asked before but Im looking for the best way to get to Austrialia from NA. My home airport would be IAH if it matters. I have both UR and MR points available but Im curious to see which transfers would be the best option for me. Im only interested in business/first travel. I also might be interested in an open jaw, looking for something creative and good advice for a newbie. I am traveling with my wife so I will need 2 award tickets.

Any advice?

TIA
Old Nov 27, 2017, 12:10 pm

Qantas and BA/Iberia are OW so you might be able to transfer MR points to BA or Iberia and book a flight on QF. I'm not sure about the avios rules for transferring between BA and Iberia (if you even can) so check if there's availability before transferring. Transfers should be instant but some programs can take a while (Asia Miles). Edit: Just realized CX is an MR transfer partner as well but transfers via Asia Miles can take a while and even if they hold a space for you the transfers can take a long time.

Last edited by sbjnyc; Nov 27, 2017 at 12:15 pm
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Qantas and BA/Iberia are OW so you might be able to transfer MR points to BA or Iberia and book a flight on QF. I'm not sure about the avios rules for transferring between BA and Iberia (if you even can) so check if there's availability before transferring. Transfers should be instant but some programs can take a while (Asia Miles). Edit: Just realized CX is an MR transfer partner as well but transfers via Asia Miles can take a while and even if they hold a space for you the transfers can take a long time.
The OP said they're interested only in business/first class travel. But the BA Avios redemption chart for partner flights in business class is horrific. It went up about 50% a couple years ago, to that point that it requires roughly 50% more BA Avios points than most other airline's miles for the same OW flights (on an airline other than BA). That's because they reworked the chart to add a premium economy redemption, and priced that how the business class used to be priced, and then moved business class up to how first used to priced, etc.

So IMHO BA Avios is a very poor program for OW business/first flights, especially if they're not nonstop (BA's sweet spot is on nonstop flights, since they charge per number of legs, rather than purely on distance or regions).

And I just checked, and Qantas does not fly nonstop from IAH to Australia. The OP would have to make connections, and there goes BA Avios business/first redemption pricing out the window.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Been awhile since I've done it.

How long to transfer MR to DL SkyMiles?

They have am award sale now but some of the segments have limited number of tickets left.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:26 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
How long to transfer MR to DL SkyMiles?
Transfers to Delta are normally completed in real time (instantly).
MikeekiM likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:14 pm

Hey all, new to the points for travel and hoping I can get some wisdom.

signed up for the Plat (Canadian) and have about 80,000 points.

we have a resort booked already for April 21st to 25th in Puero Vallarta(Depart Toronto) but am having a hard time finding a good way to use our points.

If paying for the tickets (2), the best deal I found is Aeromexico. $950 all in for two round trips.

I can can do Aeroplan 1:1 but that only saves us $600 for 80,000 MR, which doesn’t seem like good value at all.

Unfortunately for us Canadians we don’t have Aeromexico 1:1.6, because that would be perfect. We just have 1:0.75 but am unsure how this converts if we want to use on Aeromexico.

any advice? Help?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 11:42 pm

Completely new to this fantastic wold of plastic!

Hello all,
I hope that my scenario isn't to much of a headache. I like to hear from your extensive knowledge what are my best options. I earned 78k this far on my platinum Amex (USA). I have plans to travel to the Greek Islands but, read that from NY/NJ is best to travel to London and then travel from London to Mykonos or Santorini. I also have another trip planned in October to Punta Cana for which I already have a hotel but need the airfare. I obtain 4x 100 gift cards for AA given the above where would it make more sense to transfer this points ? for better value. I need hotel and flights for Greece and only Flights for Punta Cana.Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Nancy Porras
Hello all,
I hope that my scenario isn't to much of a headache. I like to hear from your extensive knowledge what are my best options. I earned 78k this far on my platinum Amex (USA). I have plans to travel to the Greek Islands but, read that from NY/NJ is best to travel to London and then travel from London to Mykonos or Santorini. I also have another trip planned in October to Punta Cana for which I already have a hotel but need the airfare. I obtain 4x 100 gift cards for AA given the above where would it make more sense to transfer this points ? for better value. I need hotel and flights for Greece and only Flights for Punta Cana.Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Looks like the next project for you will be learning how to search availability and pricing of award flights. Those are the flights that you can buy with points (and some cash for surcharges). You'll quickly find out that shopping for award flights is much different than for regular cash tickets. Don't be surprised if your 78K MR points won't take you very far.

Your AA gift cards can be used to pay for cash tickets. They can't be used to pay surcharges on award travel. If you find your best airfare options on AA, then you can make use of them right away. Otherwise, don't feel pressured to switch airlines just to get rid of them. You can always keep them for another trip, or even sell them.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 3:55 pm

Thank you ! I will start trying to figure out more on the availability and pricing.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
I have updated the wiki to reflect the new ratio of Membership Rewards points to Hilton Honors (1000:2000).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:12 pm
Suspended

I came across this article which suggests two ways to redeem VS awards by transferring to either DL SM or SQ KF but not VS itself, to which you can also transfer MR points:

3. Fly Virgin Atlantic Upper Class to Europe (KrisFlyer Miles)

Use your Singapore Airlines miles to fly Virgin Atlantic Upper Class to Europe and save 30,000 miles over flying Star Alliance Partners in business class. – Image courtesy Virgin AtlanticSingapore Airlines has an entirely separate award chart for flights on Virgin Atlantic and requires few miles than using your Singapore miles on Star Alliance flights. You can fly to Europe in Virgin Atlantic Upper Class for only 100,000 miles round-trip.

If you are flying a Star Alliance partner, business class flights to Europe would cost 130,000 Singapore Airlines miles – 30,000 more!

Availability on Virgin Atlantic in Upper Class tends to be quite good.

48. Fly Virgin Atlantic Upper Class to or From Europe (SkyMiles)

If you use your Delta SkyMiles on Virgin Atlantic, you can visit the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in London’s Heathrow Airport on the way home! Image courtesy blog.virgin-atlantic.comDelta’s award chart has gotten a little tricky over the past year or so, mainly because they don’t actually publish an award chart anymore. This makes it difficult to know whether or not you’re getting a good price on an award you are planning to book.

If transferring Amex points to Delta then one award you’ll definitely want to consider is flying Virgin Atlantic in Upper Class to or from Europe for 85,000 Delta miles.

It’s better to fly back to the U.S. on Virgin Atlantic because you will get access to the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at London Heathrow.
https://upgradedpoints.com/redeem-am...for-max-value/

Has anyone done this, transfer MR points to SQ or DL to redeem VS TATL awards rather than directly to VS?

I don't know when the article came out though the headline says it's for 2018. So I'm hoping the 100k on KF and 85k on DL for VS upper-class awards are still valid redemption prices but it kind of sounds too good to be true.

Though I'm not sure how good VS would be for TATL compared to other options for MR transfer partners? How is the Upper Class product itself, what are the connections from LHR to other EU destinations like, etc.

Alternatively, TPG recommends transferring to ANA for 88k round-trip awards in business from NA to Europe:

• For business, go with ANA. North America to Europe is another fantastic award deal when booking through the ANA Mileage Club, as you’ll need just 88,000 miles for a round-trip itinerary. That same trip would set you back 110,000 – 115,000 through Aeroplan and a whopping 130,000 on Singapore!
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-...star-alliance/

I haven't created an ANA account and my KF account probably would have to be re-created. I guess I could snoop around.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Transfers to Delta are normally completed in real time (instantly).
This is exactly the information I was searching for!

On a related topic, are all transfers to airlines and hotels typically instant/realtime? If not, has anyone put together a post or a matrix of the turn-around-time (TAT) for transfers to the various Amex hotel and airline partners?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:38 pm
mia

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
.... anyone put together a post or a matrix of the turn-around-time (TAT) for transfers to the various Amex hotel and airline partners?
Yes, and there is a link to it in the Wikipost at the top on this thread.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:07 pm
mia

Originally Posted by wco81
I... I'm hoping the 100k on KF and 85k on DL for VS upper-class awards are still valid redemption prices.
The 85,000 mile redemption via DL is one-way. You might want to do this eastbound, but not westbound.

Eastbound the fees are only USD 5.60, but westbound they are GBP 386 (about $540).

The native VS redemption is 47,500 miles in each direction (from/to Miami, different from other regions). The eastbound fees are USD 502; westbound GBP 386.

On a round-trip the Delta redemption would save about $500, but require 75,000 additional miles. A further consideration is that there are periodic transfer bonuses from American Express to Virgin Atlantic, but not to Delta. This would reduce the points cost of the Flying Club option.
MaxVO likes this.

Last edited by mia; Feb 12, 2018 at 7:32 pm
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Holy cow so about $1000 round trip in fees and 95k miles or more on VS.

Guess I'll check out the SQ and ANA redemptions too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.