Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:50 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The way the program is designed to work, there is no need to de-link to transfer to the airline account of an additional card holder if the American Express account is a USA card. In other markets, de-linking may "trick" Membership Rewards into accepting the transaction, but this is not necessary in the USA because this is a published feature. Most of the airlines will accept such transfers, but there are some exceptions. I do believe Skywards is an exception to a number of generalizations because they will accept only one credit card relationship.

Last edited by mia; Jul 29, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I'm noticing availability on the Emirates flight from ATH to EWR in Business Class. I think the 125k and Euro 560 is a reasonable price (for 2 pax in J) compared to BA and LH which have significantly higher taxes and require a stop on the way back. (DL and UA have direct flights but with DL the one way is 280k...are the loosing their mind...and UA has no availability)

I opened an Emirates account a while back but have ZERO points in it. I am concerned that if I transfer the 125k points from AMEX MR to Emirates that the award will no longer be available and I will have miles stuck in the Emirates program. I have searched but couldn't find anything about an award reservation "hold" or anything so I guess transferring and hoping the award stays available are my only options. Correct?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile Apples and Oranges

Originally Posted by mia
The way the program is designed to work, there is no need to de-link to transfer to the airline account of an additional card holder if the American Express account is a USA card. In other markets, de-linking may "trick" Membership Rewards into accepting the transaction, but this is not necessary in the USA because this is a published feature. Most of the airlines will accept such transfers, but there are some exceptions. I do believe Skywards is an exception to a number of generalizations because they will accept only one credit card relationship.
MIA, without question you are the AMEX MR Subject Matter Expert and when I need answers to not so obvious MR Questions, I generally go to your posts for authoritative answers. I think the situation I described was different from the answer you provided. In the situation of my wife and I , we have two completely separate USA based AMEX Accounts, neither of us is listed on each others account and have had success transferring points from my Wife's Amex MR account to my Delta Skymiles Account. It only works if we "trick it". Now, if there is an AMEX published benefit that states folks that are related, with the same last name, can transfer MR points from one completely unrelated AMEX MR account to a spouse's frequent flyer account, please post the hyper-link for me. It will save me a bunch of time De-Linking, Linking and Re-Linking.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by christianj
I'm noticing availability on the Emirates flight from ATH to EWR in Business Class. I think the 125k and Euro 560 is a reasonable price (for 2 pax in J) compared to BA and LH which have significantly higher taxes and require a stop on the way back. (DL and UA have direct flights but with DL the one way is 280k...are the loosing their mind...and UA has no availability)

I opened an Emirates account a while back but have ZERO points in it. I am concerned that if I transfer the 125k points from AMEX MR to Emirates that the award will no longer be available and I will have miles stuck in the Emirates program. I have searched but couldn't find anything about an award reservation "hold" or anything so I guess transferring and hoping the award stays available are my only options. Correct?
I have had good success booking J Seats on Emirates using exclusively MR Points. The key to booking J Seats with Emirates Skywards is logging into your account (even with a Zero Balance) and checking availability USING MILES option. Once logged into your account, and clicking the USING MILES option, you will get real time inventory and miles pricing. If you find the dates and price that works for you, go immediately to AMEX MR website and transfer the required points to Emirates Skywards. After the transaction, the MR site will tell you it can take up to 48 hours to transfer. My experience is that it takes about 48 seconds. By the time you log back into your Emirates Skywards account, you will see the transfrred miles and then it's time to POUNCE on that great deal. I have snagged Round Trip DMM-ORD-DMM J Class Tickets on EK for 150K MR Points and $700 Fuel Charge. Also, the fuel charges have come down a bit in 2018. Good Luck !!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:27 am
mia

Originally Posted by gpicur
....if there is an AMEX published benefit that states folks that are related, with the same last name, can transfer MR points from one completely unrelated AMEX MR account to a spouse's frequent flyer account, ....
No, there is not. The correct way to accomplish this is for each of you to request an Additional Card for the other. This can likely be done at no cost, depending on the specific card types. There is no need to ever use the additional cards, they simply need to exist.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
There is no need to ever use the additional cards, they simply need to exist.
Will Amex keep additional cards open "forever" with zero activity? Or do they cancel them eventually for inactivity?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to the Transferring Points site last night, and it says transfers to SPG are suspended until August 18 (which is the day they get converted 1 Starpoint -> 3 points, and also when all SPG members get a new account number).
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by gpicur
I have had good success booking J Seats on Emirates using exclusively MR Points. The key to booking J Seats with Emirates Skywards is logging into your account (even with a Zero Balance) and checking availability USING MILES option. Once logged into your account, and clicking the USING MILES option, you will get real time inventory and miles pricing. If you find the dates and price that works for you, go immediately to AMEX MR website and transfer the required points to Emirates Skywards. After the transaction, the MR site will tell you it can take up to 48 hours to transfer. My experience is that it takes about 48 seconds. By the time you log back into your Emirates Skywards account, you will see the transfrred miles and then it's time to POUNCE on that great deal. I have snagged Round Trip DMM-ORD-DMM J Class Tickets on EK for 150K MR Points and $700 Fuel Charge. Also, the fuel charges have come down a bit in 2018. Good Luck !!
As a reference point, I rechecked availability for the 2 J seats I wanted and once I confirmed the seats were available I made the AMEX MR transfer online. Points showed up in my EK account almost immediately BUT I could not get the tickets to book and kept getting the "Not Enough Points" message on the EK website even though the points were showing on the website. Tried logging out of the EK website and back in and again even though the points showed in my account it was not letting me book the award seats. Naturally this being my first transfer I though I did something wrong and started to worry about not getting the seats and having the points stuck in my EK account. Luckily a quick phone call got the booking resolved! Agent could not understand why it was not allowing me to complete the transaction even though I had the points in my account.

To summarize, 2 one way J award tickets from ATH-EWR in June 2019 for 125k AMEX MR and $590 in taxes seems like a good deal since I wanted a non-stop flight back if at all possible. (For comparison, on the outbound we wanted to avoid ATH and I found 2 one way J award tickets with LH M&M from JFK-MUC-HER which cost me 104k LH M&M points and $1100 in taxes.)

Back to the return....DL wanted 280k per ticket and UA had no availability on their non-stops from ATH to NYC. All other option would require a stop and were not much cheaper from a points and tax perspective.

Last edited by christianj; Aug 10, 2018 at 6:54 am
Old Aug 21, 2018, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thumbs up Transfers to Marriott now work!

It says transfer to SPG, and asks you to link you SPG account number, but SPG and Marriott accounts since this weekend have the same account number format, so I just put in my Marriott account number, it said I had linked successfully, then I did a test transfer of 1000 points, and the next morning they were showing on my Marriott account. Now, for some bizarre reason they show as if they were a "shopping mall bonus", but they do show up and quickly.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by sdsearch
It says transfer to SPG, and asks you to link you SPG account number, but SPG and Marriott accounts since this weekend have the same account number format, so I just put in my Marriott account number, it said I had linked successfully, then I did a test transfer of 1000 points, and the next morning they were showing on my Marriott account. Now, for some bizarre reason they show as if they were a "shopping mall bonus", but they do show up and quickly.
When I try to link Membership Rewards to SPG, I'm still getting the message, "We apologize for the inconvenience. The system is currently unavailable. If you require assistance please call Membership Rewards Customer Service at 1-800-AXP-EARN."

Still cannot link my new program Member Number (9 digits Marriott format). Anyone else experiencing this issue? Thanks

Last edited by cce5858; Aug 23, 2018 at 12:19 am
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
PDX to DEL via AMS - MR airline partner options ?

Hello,

I have about 100k MR points and looking for a PDX to DEL Y ticket. This would be easy as I could transfer to one of the many airline partners and get the Y ticket (for e.g DL charges 80k r/t in Y). Issue is I need a stopover in AMS so this limits my flight options. Am ok with the stopover being on any one of the legs. DL stops in AMS but does not give a stop over and I don't want to book two separate tickets as it jacks up the miles requirement.

Wondering if the expert's here can guide me as to a possible routing and ffp to book the ticket thru? If Chase UR's is a better option due to its airline partners, I have 90k of those too.

Thanks, Abhi
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:48 pm

Have you looked at Singapore Airlines, via either MR or UR? I use them to get to DEL and AMD. As you figured, the stop over in AMS is going to be the tricky part.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by cheaptom
Have you looked at Singapore Airlines, via either MR or UR? I use them to get to DEL and AMD. As you figured, the stop over in AMS is going to be the tricky part.
If there was no stopover, there are plenty of options, BUT that is something we need and was hoping experts here can throw some light on that. Am sure I am missing multiple tricks, so need enlightenment.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:31 pm
mia

This article suggests that Aeroplan permits stopovers on award tickets:

https://www.rewardexpert.com/blog/wh...topovers/forum

I would research in the Air Canada forum, with additional emphasis on understanding which carriers attract fuel surcharges, because many do not.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by mia
This article suggests that Aeroplan permits stopovers on award tickets:

https://www.rewardexpert.com/blog/wh...topovers/forum

I would research in the Air Canada forum, with additional emphasis on understanding which carriers attract fuel surcharges, because many do not.
Thanks, will check it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.