Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serialportme
Sorry for basic question...

I used to think Hilton transfer value was great. 2x points.

Until I realized that Hilton’s were about twice the needed points to book a room. Lol

Transferring to SPG and then to Marriott or sticking with the SPG, amex points values to transfer to book a room were basically the same.

So it doesnt really matter which, as long as it works out to about $.01 per reward point?

Thanks. Just looking for confirmation.
It varies from location to location, hotel to holel, even one travel date to another.

If it's actually the same for you on your travel date at the hotel you're considering, then yes, it doesn't make much difference unless you prefer one hotel over the other. So just evaluate the hotels the way you would if you were paying cash and they both showed the same cash rate.

But in case you didn't check the specific date yet, be aware that just because they're the same on one date doesn't mean they'll the same on another date. Hilton uses dynamic points pricing at most hotels and thus the point requirement can change every day, and Marriott uses seasonal pricing at some hotels.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Hello,

I have added my wife as an Authorized User, and I'd like to transfer miles to her ANA account.
When I authorize her to use the miles, the account is already linked to my ANA account.
Does that mean that every time we want to transfer, we have to unlink / relink in each respective account?

Edit: Just chatted with AMEX, apparently I can unlink and link with her name and it should be ok as she's an authorized user. You still have to link and unlink but it's feasable.

Last edited by Gasolin; Feb 24, 2018 at 5:53 pm
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin
I have added my wife as an Authorized User, and I'd like to transfer miles to her ANA account.
When I authorize her to use the miles, the account is already linked to my ANA account.
Does that mean that every time we want to transfer, we have to unlink / relink in each respective account?
With authorized users there can be multiple transfer recipients for each airlines. "Linking" is just a feature that keeps recipient accounts (name + number) stored in your AmEx profiles. There are no requirements to keep or not keep them stored permanently.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
What to do with 100K MR Points?

I received the 100K Amex platinum sign up bonus and now have all these MR points sitting in my account. With all the changes to redemptions and what not, Im unsure what program to transfer them out to.

My goal is luxury international first class travel on a high end carrier. I have tons of flexibility and can leave whenever I want since I own my own company. I was thinking either Singapore Krisflyer, ANA program, or Aeroplan.

Does anyone have any suggestions, as I do not know what the sweet spots and redemption rates are within these programs aside from what Ive read which could be old material. The most likely way that I am going to redeem is for F travel going US-Asia/SE Asia or US-Europe.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
the best way to use MR points is almost always partner transfer

if your goal is to fly intl first class, the best of the best if definitely Singapore Airlines Suite. however currently the only US route with Suite service is JFK-FRA-SIN. it's also not easy to find award availability.
For details consult TPG's blog: Redeeming American Express Membership Rewards for Maximum Value
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat
Since you are based in NYC, you can find last minute options on LH as well by transferring to Aeroplan. Just be aware that they apply fuel surcharges.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:32 am
Community Director Emerita

I always keep some Avios as they are valuable for connecting flights on OneWorld carriers throughout the world.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:17 am

I have already taken Singapore suites class from JFK to Singapore with a stop in FRA. Personally I actually did not like the flight because its broken up, and too short on both segments.

I dont care about the cities because I can get to any city in the states.

Originally I did want to transfer to SQ, but they seem to really be cutting back saver availability which has me concerned which is why I was considering aeroplan. I dont know, just getting a program with reasonable prices on redemptions in first or business at last minute from any city in the states or to the states from Asia or Europe would be good for me.

So Im really unfamiliar with aeroplan. I keep hearing about surcharges. If somebody could just elaborate on aeroplan surcharges and redemptions of F on LH?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:46 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
...elaborate on aeroplan surcharges and redemptions of F on LH?
Start in the Wikipost of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

Bear in mind that Aeroplan has lost the contract to operate Air Canada's frequent flyer program. I wouldn't transfer there on speculation.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mia
Bear in mind that Aeroplan has lost the contract to operate Air Canada's frequent flyer program. I wouldn't transfer there on speculation.
Only for an immediate LH F purchase.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mia
Start in the Wikipost of this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-travel.html

I am aware that Air Canada will not be cooperating with Aeroplan anymore. But it was my understanding this was to start in 2020?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 9:29 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
... start in 2020?
Correct, June of 2020. Two years seems like a long time, but I expect there will be rush to redeem as the date approaches and award availability could choke.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:02 am

120k to Virgin Atlantic for r/t on ANA F to Tokyo
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:07 am
mia

Discussion here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virg...ub-points.html
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by mia
Correct, June of 2020. Two years seems like a long time, but I expect there will be rush to redeem as the date approaches and award availability could choke.
Thank you, I had not thought of that and I suspect you are correct.

I think SQ is probably the best transfer. Not only to redeem on SQ but all their European and Asian partners as well? What do people think?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.