Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:02 pm

I have about 150K MR points and thinking if moving them to Aeromexico's Club Premier at 1000 MR to 1600 CP points. I am trying to get 3 tickets to Peru from LAX for next summer. I have never had Aeromexico's Club Premier account and this would be first time I am transferring. They seem to have the lowest mileage requirements for LAX - LIM - LAX.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
I have about 150K MR points and thinking if moving them to Aeromexico's Club Premier at 1000 MR to 1600 CP points. I am trying to get 3 tickets to Peru from LAX for next summer. I have never had Aeromexico's Club Premier account and this would be first time I am transferring. They seem to have the lowest mileage requirements for LAX - LIM - LAX.
Having miles in the program that has the lowest mileage requirement is useless if there is no availability in that program!

So are you sure there is going to be availability (especially for 3 people :eeK:!) for the trip you need by the time you transfer?

Gosh, sometimes for more than 2 passengers, some people have to use one program for 2 and another program for the other 1 or 2!
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Having miles in the program that has the lowest mileage requirement is useless if there is no availability in that program!

So are you sure there is going to be availability (especially for 3 people :eeK:!) for the trip you need by the time you transfer?

Gosh, sometimes for more than 2 passengers, some people have to use one program for 2 and another program for the other 1 or 2!
yes there is avails for 3 people which I already checked..
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...I have never had Aeromexico's Club Premier account and this would be first time I am transferring....
Read here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...o-premier.html
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I just linked..went into pending...will keep a watch on it.

Last edited by mia; Sep 17, 2017 at 5:05 pm Reason: Formatting
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:42 am

From Aeromexico CSR via email.

We inform you, that in order to link your American Express card to your Club Premier Account, it is necessary to contact American Express directly, and provide them your Club Premier Account number, they will do the process to link your card to the account, at this way, you can afford flight reservation, hotel rooms or rent a car.

It is important to mention, that the only American Express Cards that can be link to CLUB Premier are the co-brand cards with Aeromexico, otherwise, it won’t be possible this process.

^^ WTH does this mean? I cannot link my MR linked to AMEX SPG card?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:38 am
mia

... I cannot link my MR linked to AMEX SPG card?
It sounds as if they used some boilerplate text, not all of which is relevant to the USA market. You do not link a "card", you link your Membership Rewards account. To have an eligible MR account you would need to have a Centurion, Platinum, Gold, Green, Everyday, Everyday Preferred or Blue Business Plus card.

Co-branded cards (Delta, Hilton, Starwood) cannot be linked to Membership Rewards and are not relevant to this discussion.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:01 pm

I just linked..went into pending...will keep a watch on it.
successfully linked in 3 days...i did not have to intervene
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
TK with AMEX points

Hello. I am looking to purchase itineraries from IST to USA (ideally IAH) with TK.
Which FF would be least costly in terms of miles and taxes? I presume only *A FF programs available for MR transfer eould be AC NH, and SQ. Any other programs? Any advice is appreciated.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:34 pm
mia

Originally Posted by cagcag
Which FF would be least costly in terms of miles and taxes? ....
AC does not collect fuel surcharges on flights operated by TK.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by mia
AC does not collect fuel surcharges on flights operated by TK.
Thanks. I'll check out AC.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello. I am looking to purchase itineraries from IST to USA (ideally IAH) with TK.
You already have a visa? Because you need one but they mostly aren't being issued any more.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:40 am

Code:
Travel
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You already have a visa? Because you need one but they mostly aren't being issued any more.
Travel in summer 2018. Visa issue will have been resolved by then. Pressure on Erdogan will be too great to allow this visa issue fester for too long.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Code:
Travel
Travel in summer 2018. Visa issue will have been resolved by then. Pressure on Erdogan will be too great to allow this visa issue fester for too long.
At the very least i would recommend you get insurance if you book anything non-refundable about this trip.

Not only is there this visa issue currently, but once before the IST airport was shut down for a while after a terror incident.

The Qatar diplomatic spat with several neighbors (causing cancellations of QR flights to/from those countries and inability of QR to fly over those airspaces) has been going on for several months now (as an example of another diplomatic mess in that region), and it shows no clear signs of being resolved any time soon.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:36 pm

I have about 300,000 MRs (and ~100,000 SkyMiles) that I'd like to use to take my wife from LAX to South Africa in business class or above really anytime next year between April and September. I'd love to do one of the legs on one of the Gulf carriers, but realize that may not be a great use of points. Also would like to spend a couple days in Europe/Middle East on the way back.

Is my best bet just to transfer them to Delta and try to put together a DL/AF/KL itinerary?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.