Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mia
Until the Everyday card was introduced we needed a paid card, such as a Green, Gold or Platinum charge card, to transfer. Everyday is the first free card to have the transfer feature.

Your Blue Cash card will not preserve the points, it does not participate in Membership Rewards.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...day-cards.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...nup-bonus.html
Appreciate the clarification.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I'm trying to link my MR account to AM Club Premier. It's been at least 24hrs since I tried linking them and they still haven't been linked. DL/AF/AC linked immediately. Is this normal with AM?
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:55 pm

MR transfer for Puerto Rico/Hawaii or US Virgin Islands Possible?

HAve around 56K MR points. Planning for a trip to either Hawaii, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands from Austin/Dallas/Houston during Christmas time for me and my wife RT? Is this feasible with the points available? Ok in spending the rest in cash if required. To which airlines should I transfer? Please advise.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by travelcheap1
HAve around 56K MR points. Planning for a trip to either Hawaii, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands from Austin/Dallas/Houston during Christmas time for me and my wife RT? Is this feasible with the points available? Ok in spending the rest in cash if required. To which airlines should I transfer? Please advise.
I've used Air Canada Aeroplan for my MR transfers, which would work in your case since you can fly UA out of IAH. Unfortunately you have two serious problems in your case. First, you won't have enough points for any of the destinations in your list: two round-trip tickets to HNL would be 90K, and to anywhere in the Caribbean it'd be 80K. You could make up the difference in cash though, as you suggest.

https://www3.aeroplan.com/use-your-m...entLanguage=en

The more serious problem is your dates. Looking for Christmas travel to a warm destination just a few weeks out is nearly always a losing proposition. I tried a few dates just now using the Air Canada award calculator, and the whole week before and after Christmas came up blank.

https://www3.aeroplan.com/adr/AirBoo...UB_M_Travel_EN

Perhaps someone can suggest another airline partner that might provide more possibilities.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:39 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
This is going to be just about impossible ... using miles to get to sun destinations at absolute peak season with 6 weeks advance notice just doesn't work, unless you want to spend a ton of miles (probably more than 50K per person).

If you definitely want to use these points for this trip, your best bet may be to book a ticket through the Amex Travel portal and you can apply 56K points for $560 off the total price.

You could see what Delta is charging, and might possibly have enough miles for one ticket and could buy the second one in cash, but it's unlikely you'll get much more (if any more) than $560 of value out of it.

You could also sign up for a BA Executive Club membership and search on there to see if they have any availability to book an award ticket on an AA flight, but that is not very likely.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 11:03 am
Suspended

Likely not enough points to book 2 RT tickets to the places you list. As previous poster said, best option is to apply points to a ticket purchase in the AMEX portal.

If you don't have the Biz Platinum, you could apply for that, and get 50% back on your points. You'd also get the $200 airfare credit.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 5:43 am

thanks everyone for the responses. I understand its not a good idea to use points during this time for this trip. I have booked to Vegas and will be driving to Page, Sedona and death valley. Taking the dates out of the equation and booking a far ahead - will it be feasible to do 2 people RT tickets to the locations I mentioned? And I should look at Aeroplan, Avios and Delta for these?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:06 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Redeeming MR points to travel partner

Here is the skinny:

A family member has AMEX PRG card and not getting any retention offers. So I am considering closing the account. However, I still 65000+ MR points on the account that need to be transferred prior.

As I understand MR points cannot be transferred to a family member or spouse's account (even if u share last name and address). Correct?
If so, what would be the best program to transfer the MR points? Without a specific use, it's becoming a speculative judgement call and I could some suggestions.

My important criteria are -

- No hotels. SPG/Hilton ratio is terrible.
- BA, IB, EK, SQ are NO as well.
- Ideal airline program would be easy to manage (ie. no annual expiration of unused points)
- Partner usage
- Would appreciate thoughts on AF/KLM, Elevate and Jetblue as well

AF/KLM has regular redemption sales to EU which is great. Although I like Jetblue and Virgin American but they have very limited connectivity to/from ORD. Also besides them being revenue based redemption, I don't know the fine print of those programs.

Any thoughts?
Old Nov 18, 2016, 9:32 pm

Hi, everyone. I have a situation similar to the recent question.
I have 120k+ MR points, and I am trying to travel between Houston and Colombia. It's probably too late book flights for the holidays, but I do make frequent trips there since I bought property.

When I read the wiki, it says transfer points to AirCanada and use those points to buy UA flights. But when I search for flights between IAH (Houston) and Bogota, all I see are aircanada flights, and they all go through either Toronto or Montreal. I obviously have no experience booking partner flights, so I need assistance on that as well.

Thank you
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RTWRide
Hi, everyone. I have a situation similar to the recent question.
I have 120k+ MR points, and I am trying to travel between Houston and Colombia. It's probably too late book flights for the holidays, but I do make frequent trips there since I bought property.

When I read the wiki, it says transfer points to AirCanada and use those points to buy UA flights. But when I search for flights between IAH (Houston) and Bogota, all I see are aircanada flights, and they all go through either Toronto or Montreal. I obviously have no experience booking partner flights, so I need assistance on that as well.
When you search where? The Air Canada site?

Any flight you see as "saver" on the United should be bookable with Air Canada miles.

However, you need to go the Air Canada forum:
if you have questions about how (and if) you can use their website to book United airline flights as awards, or whether you have to book certain awards over the phone, etc.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:04 pm

Perhaps ua just has no award seats for those days at the saver level
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Here is the skinny:

A family member has AMEX PRG card and not getting any retention offers. So I am considering closing the account. However, I still 65000+ MR points on the account that need to be transferred prior.

As I understand MR points cannot be transferred to a family member or spouse's account (even if u share last name and address). Correct?
If so, what would be the best program to transfer the MR points? Without a specific use, it's becoming a speculative judgement call and I could some suggestions.

My important criteria are -

- No hotels. SPG/Hilton ratio is terrible.
- BA, IB, EK, SQ are NO as well.
- Ideal airline program would be easy to manage (ie. no annual expiration of unused points)
- Partner usage
- Would appreciate thoughts on AF/KLM, Elevate and Jetblue as well

AF/KLM has regular redemption sales to EU which is great. Although I like Jetblue and Virgin American but they have very limited connectivity to/from ORD. Also besides them being revenue based redemption, I don't know the fine print of those programs.

Any thoughts?
Why can't the family member apply for the no-annual-fee Everyday card, which allows transferring to airlines just as much as the PRG card does? If you thought that only annual-fee Amex cards could transfer to airlines, that info is more than a year out of date.

VirginAmerica has announced that's it's merging with Alaska Airlines. Whether Alaska seems any better to you in ORD than Virgin America, I'm not sure. But Elevate points will presumably turn into Alaska MileagePlan miles somehow (who knows how) at some point (who knows when).

But again, why decide now if an Everyday card can defer that decision for years.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Why can't the family member apply for the no-annual-fee Everyday card, which allows transferring to airlines just as much as the PRG card does? If you thought that only annual-fee Amex cards could transfer to airlines, that info is more than a year out of date.

VirginAmerica has announced that's it's merging with Alaska Airlines. Whether Alaska seems any better to you in ORD than Virgin America, I'm not sure. But Elevate points will presumably turn into Alaska MileagePlan miles somehow (who knows how) at some point (who knows when).

But again, why decide now if an Everyday card can defer that decision for years.
I did not know. Great point!

Can the points be merged between two accounts (for same accountholder)? My Amex PRG will be up for AF in next summer and if they don't have a retention offer, I will cancel it and use your strategy.

I had the same thoughts on VX merger even though DOJ hasn't cleared it yet. So, it's quite some time away but I'd rather keep my points in MR than tie with an airline.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:20 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Can the points be merged between two accounts (for same accountholder)? .
Typically all of your card accounts are linked to the same Membership Rewards account. If this does not happen automatically customer service will fix it.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

anyone compared NZ/AU recently? (Y+/J/F)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.