Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
trying to get from CNS to PPT and air new Zealand has the best times with one stop in AUK for an overnight. called Virgin Atlantic and they show no availability July 15 - 17, 2017. That far out and no availability isn't encouraging
You can search Air New Zealand (NZ) availability (well, *A availability overall) yourself (for free up to a point) at www.awardnexus.com; just click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button to use your FlyerTalk account to sign up for free. And the beauty of that site is that you can use it for all 3 alliances, so you can see if availability is much easier to find in another alliance on your 2nd best or 3rd best timed flight on the route you want. That may change your plans on which miles to use or where to transfer MR (if you still need to transfer for that other alliance).

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 27, 2016 at 8:07 am Reason: corrected airline code
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:07 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
trying to get from CNS to PPT and air new Zealand has the best times with one stop in AUK for an overnight. called Virgin Atlantic and they show no availability July 15 - 17, 2017. That far out and no availability isn't encouraging
PPT is tough to get to on award tickets no matter what, just not very many flights. One possible routing using MR points might be to redeem Delta miles for Virgin Australia to AKL (which will require a connection via BNE or SYD), connecting to Air Tahiti Nui in AKL. But that will require calling Delta and many Delta agents would be baffled by that request, so it would likely be a frustrating process, not to mention that finding award space for all three of those flights would be challenging and there is no easy way to check Air Tahiti Nui award space online so you'd have to get lucky and find an agent that was smart enough to know how to find it and patient enough to look through different dates with you.

If you are set on using miles for that particular award it could be worth considering buying a cash ticket through Amex Travel and redeeming your MR points against it for 1 cent each (or better, paying cash and saving your MR points for another trip).
Old Aug 27, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air Tahiti Nui (TN) is also an AA (non-alliance) partner. But not bookable/searchable on aa.com online (you have to call to book).

TN award availabiltiy is searchable on the paid side Expert Flyer (tho you can try it free for 5 days).

I can tell you that at this instant, TN (Air Tahiti Nui) has award availability AKL-PPT in both Business and Coach on Jul 16 (lv AKL 4:15 pm), 1 seat in Business only on July 17 (lv AKL 9:30 am), and award availability in both Business and Couch on Jul 17 (lv AKL 4:15 pm).

As you can see, TN's AKL-PPT schedule is completely different depending on the day of the week. (Btw, the plane type varies too.)

The AKL-PPT flight is just under 5 hours.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 27, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Linking Amex account and airline partner - TWO WEEKS?!

Am getting ready to shoot some Amex MR points from my account to an airline transfer partner (in this case, ANA). I go to the Amex website, link my accounts and it says "The account link request has been submitted for the selected partner(s)." and Status: "Your request has been accepted and will be processed by the partner." Then the money shot: "Each partner will process your request separately. This may take up to two weeks."

Two weeks?!!

Really? Or is that a bit pessimistic?
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Am getting ready to shoot some Amex MR points from my account to an airline transfer partner (in this case, ANA). I go to the Amex website, link my accounts and it says "The account link request has been submitted for the selected partner(s)." and Status: "Your request has been accepted and will be processed by the partner." Then the money shot: "Each partner will process your request separately. This may take up to two weeks."

Two weeks?!!

Really? Or is that a bit pessimistic?
I bet that's just to cover all their bases-I haven't linked to ANA, but IME it's been same day for me (though only a couple of transfer partners)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 12:51 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by steveman518
I bet that's just to cover all their bases-I haven't linked to ANA, but IME it's been same day for me (though only a couple of transfer partners)
That appears to have been the case: one minute later, it showed as linked, I did a chat with an online CS agent to confirm, he said it was good to go, so I pushed the button to transfer the points. Whew!

Based on estimates from others, I'm expecting the points to land in my account in 24-48 hours. We'll see. I will report back (in the appropriate thread) on how long it took.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
What would be the best partners to dump 280k MR?
I'm planning either SFO/LAX - PPT
or SFO/LAX - MLE
and SFO - DUS/AMS/CGN/FRA
Also what's the best way to fly SFO - TLV
Everything preferably in F or J with low YQ, but SFO/LAX - PPT in Y is OK.

Last edited by yugi; Aug 31, 2016 at 8:38 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yugi
What would be the best partners to dump 280k MR?
What do you mean "dump"? If you want to move all 280k now and use them later, keep in mind that many of the foreign airlines have pretty nasty expiration policies compare to domestic airlines (where any of a wide variety of periodic "activity" doable from home resets expiration indefinitely).

If you have (or get) the Amex Everyday (no annual fee) card, you can still transfer, and it costs you nothing to keep the points for years, so you can defer the decision on MR transfers until you really know what and when you're going to use them for.

Meanwhile, please read a few posts above yours, redemption for PPT was just discussed very recently here.

Also, without knowing when exactly you want to do each trip, it's hard to make a recommendation. For example, I was able to do a business class trip LAX-AMS (connecting in PDX one direction, SLC the other direction) on Delta for just 125k miles because I went in April (great time for AMS because of the nearby annual giant flower show). But Delta would had required way more miles had I wanted to go in May or later!

See, that's why it's not necessarily a good idea to "dump" miles somewhere (when you don't have to). Because until you search for availability, you won't know which airline has award availability to your desired location on your desired dates. Availability one year is not at all a predictor of availability in a subsequent year. So you can't substitute prediction for actual availability checks at the time you're about to book.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 1, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Old Sep 1, 2016, 2:45 pm

A cheap cash fare to tlv is probably the best. There's been a few on premium fares forum

Maldives:
90k plus 370 USD one way on Krisflyer flying Singapore, or 75k plus maybe a hundred USD on Aeroplan flying Turkish (no YQ added). Can probably go the other way too on Aeroplan without YQ if you can find United flights to Singapore
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:50 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by crimsona
A cheap cash fare to tlv is probably the best. There's been a few on premium fares forum
Cheap fare in F or J? I doubt it. I know AF in economy charges 50k roundtrip. But how about F or J?

Maldives:
90k plus 370 USD one way on Krisflyer flying Singapore, or 75k plus maybe a hundred USD on Aeroplan flying Turkish (no YQ added). Can probably go the other way too on Aeroplan without YQ if you can find United flights to Singapore
Also in F or J?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What do you mean "dump"? If you want to move all 280k now and use them later, keep in mind that many of the foreign airlines have pretty nasty expiration policies compare to domestic airlines (where any of a wide variety of periodic "activity" doable from home resets expiration indefinitely).

If you have (or get) the Amex Everyday (no annual fee) card, you can still transfer, and it costs you nothing to keep the points for years, so you can defer the decision on MR transfers until you really know what and when you're going to use them for.

Meanwhile, please read a few posts above yours, redemption for PPT was just discussed very recently here.

Also, without knowing when exactly you want to do each trip, it's hard to make a recommendation. For example, I was able to do a business class trip LAX-AMS (connecting in PDX one direction, SLC the other direction) on Delta for just 125k miles because I went in April (great time for AMS because of the nearby annual giant flower show). But Delta would had required way more miles had I wanted to go in May or later!

See, that's why it's not necessarily a good idea to "dump" miles somewhere (when you don't have to). Because until you search for availability, you won't know which airline has award availability to your desired location on your desired dates. Availability one year is not at all a predictor of availability in a subsequent year. So you can't substitute prediction for actual availability checks at the time you're about to book.
I want to dump, because Amex already clawed back my 100k bonus, that's why I want to dump everything. Already transferred around 170k to BA.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 9:20 pm

Toronto to tlv was on premium fares for under 1.3k USD

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premium-fare-deals/1786974-9w-ly-yyz-tlv-1265usd-rt-business.html

Yes those are the prices for j because that's what you asked for. Double it for the return.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:44 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by yugi
I want to dump, because Amex already clawed back my 100k bonus, that's why I want to dump everything. Already transferred around 170k to BA.
If you just want to clear out, Aeroplan is probably the best option for you in SFO. Star is the easiest option in SFO and ANA and Singapore charge fuel surcharges on all awards while Aeroplan charges only on some partners, so Aeroplan gives you the best chance at avoiding fees.

Aeroplan won't get you to PPT, only Delta can possibly do that among MR transfer partners, but it is hard to find availability and hard to book that award, so if it's a rush to clear the account I would recommend going with Aeroplan which gives you the most flexibility for a variety of other possible trips, and if you end up wanting to do PPT at some point just buy a ticket.

Also worth looking at the Aeroplan award chart and targeting a couple of likely redemptions (like 2x business class to Europe), and transferring only that number of miles, with the rest going to BA, so you're not stuck with an odd number of leftover miles in your Aeroplan account.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
Toronto to tlv was on premium fares for under 1.3k USD

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...-business.html

Yes those are the prices for j because that's what you asked for. Double it for the return.
I'd prefer 120k AF on DL for J on SFO-TLV instead of paying $2.6k
Old Sep 2, 2016, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff
If you just want to clear out, Aeroplan is probably the best option for you in SFO. Star is the easiest option in SFO and ANA and Singapore charge fuel surcharges on all awards while Aeroplan charges only on some partners, so Aeroplan gives you the best chance at avoiding fees.

Aeroplan won't get you to PPT, only Delta can possibly do that among MR transfer partners, but it is hard to find availability and hard to book that award, so if it's a rush to clear the account I would recommend going with Aeroplan which gives you the most flexibility for a variety of other possible trips, and if you end up wanting to do PPT at some point just buy a ticket.

Also worth looking at the Aeroplan award chart and targeting a couple of likely redemptions (like 2x business class to Europe), and transferring only that number of miles, with the rest going to BA, so you're not stuck with an odd number of leftover miles in your Aeroplan account.
I think that AF can get me to PPT. There is an AF flight LAX-PPT, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.