Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:32 am
Suspended

Agree with Avios for rest of Europe.

I'm jealous Finnair is one of your AMEX transfer options as we in the U.S. don't have that and I'm planning a December trip to Finland, bummer.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:10 pm

When did the Delta transfer ratio become 1,000 MR to 750 SkyMiles? Everyblog I've read said that it's 1:1. This is based on the link here: http://catalogue.membershiprewards.c...r_participants

am I missing something here?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:24 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by bdubs7
When did the Delta transfer ratio become 1,000 MR to 750 SkyMiles? Everyblog I've read said that it's 1:1. This is based on the link here: http://catalogue.membershiprewards.c...r_participants

In the US it is 1:1, ratios are different depending which country the MR account and associated cards are based in. If it's any consolation the 2:1 SPG ratio in Canada is better than the 3:1 ratio in the US, so it's not all bad.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:34 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bdubs7
As bgriff pointed out the link is to the Membership Rewards Canada page. Here are the clues in the URL itself:

http://catalogue.membershiprewards.ca/l2Category.mtw?categoryName=ca_frequent_traveller_participants

Last edited by mia; Feb 19, 2016 at 1:56 pm
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:33 am

Given current exchange rates, it's 1 cad to 0.75 delta, or 0.72 USD to 0.75 delta.

We're coming out ahead!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Sixt Plat, Avis Prez Club, Hertz Prez Circ, Nat'l EE
Originally Posted by haarpquake
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll mess a bit more with mini-RTW's and see if anything else comes up before pulling the trigger, maybe looking at Krisflyer again too. But it seems like AC is the best redemption. Although I'm only using 310k (155x2) of my current 350k MR balance for this itin.
Just to follow up, I finally booked this for two passengers, with a total of 310k MR points, transferred to AC. Fees/YQ totaled $263.51 for both tickets plus the C$30 x 2 telephone fee:
AUS - IAH: UA 737-800 F/J
<13-hour layover>
IAH - IST: TK 777-300ER J/F
<27-hour overnight stopover>
IST - BKK: TK A330-300 J/F
<destination>
BKK - ZRH: LX A340-300 J (my only segment with a separate F & J class)
<13-hour overnight layover>
ZRH - DUB: LX A321 J/F
<destination>
DUB - CPH: SK A321 J/F
<21-hour overnight layover>
CPH - IAD: SK A330-300 J/F
<17-hour overnight layover>
IAD - AUS: UA 737-900 F/J
Old Feb 16, 2016, 8:53 pm

What are the best redemption options for flights to Canada? Specifically, Atlanta to Montreal? Am seeing 15k with Aeroplan miles, however comes with a $150 fuel surcharge. Any other decent options I can look into? Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by xatb
What are the best redemption options for flights to Canada? Specifically, Atlanta to Montreal? Am seeing 15k with Aeroplan miles, however comes with a $150 fuel surcharge. Any other decent options I can look into? Thanks!
Can you find low-tier award space on DL?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:47 pm

25k delta plus 70 in taxes versus 15k Aeroplan plus 150 in taxes (is that cad?) Is a fairly even trade-off
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Sixt Plat, Avis Prez Club, Hertz Prez Circ, Nat'l EE
Originally Posted by crimsona
25k delta plus 70 in taxes versus 15k Aeroplan plus 150 in taxes (is that cad?) Is a fairly even trade-off
If you use Aeroplan to book on United metal both directions of the round trip, the fees are even lower. $57.66 + 25k miles (0 YQ...)
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:24 pm

First, you can't transfer amex membership rewards to United, and secondly, paying an extra 10k miles closes the gap somewhat. 15k Aeroplan because it's a short haul vs 25k United
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
First, you can't transfer amex membership rewards to United, and secondly, paying an extra 10k miles closes the gap somewhat. 15k Aeroplan because it's a short haul vs 25k United
You can't transfer MR to UA, but you can book UA flights through Aeroplan (assuming availability), which is what haarpquake is getting at
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:56 pm

i keep hearing about $ value "fee" when transferring MR to partners. What is this? is it universal across all partners or just few?
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:05 pm

Need advice - have 290k MR, want to fly business IAD-MAA

Gurus,
I would greatly appreciate your help with this. My bucket list item - travel business class from IAD to MAA at least once in life time.
I have Amex points 185k in one account and 105k in another. I also have around $300 credit in United.
Is there any way to combine these to get business class for my trip?

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2016, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by runb4fun
i keep hearing about $ value "fee" when transferring MR to partners. What is this? is it universal across all partners or just few?
IIRC it's only US-based partners

Originally Posted by BIZDOCK
Gurus,
I would greatly appreciate your help with this. My bucket list item - travel business class from IAD to MAA at least once in life time.
I have Amex points 185k in one account and 105k in another. I also have around $300 credit in United.
Is there any way to combine these to get business class for my trip?

Thanks!
UA does not allow cash+miles bookings, and you'll have a bad time (as in not a good transfer ratio going through multiple steps) getting MRs to UA points. Additionally UA credits (whether it be e-certs or TravelBank) can only be used if all flights are operated by UA (though you're welcome to use it to BOM or anywhere else UA flies and book a separate ticket to MAA). What you can do is transfer your AMEX points to an MR partner, find award flights, and use the UA credit for positioning flights on UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.