Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Where can I find a list of the airline and hotel transfer partners?

Partner airline and hotel programs, transfer ratios, and rules vary by the country where your American Express card is issued:

Australia: Airlines & Hotels

Canada: Airlines & Hotels

Germany: Airlines & Hotels

International Dollar & Euro Cards: Airlines, Hotels

New Zealand: Airlines & Hotels

UK: Airlines, Hotels

USA: Airlines & Hotels Transfer ratios explained below.

Q. What are the transfer ratios to USA airline and hotel partners?

For most frequent customer programs, 1,000 Membership Rewards points will equal 1,000 miles, points or credits and must be transferred in 1,000-point increments unless otherwise noted.

In the USA version of Membership Rewards the exceptions are:
El AL Israel Airlines: 1,000 points = 20 Matmid points
Hilton®: 1,000 points = 2,000 Honors points (as of 1/11/2018)
JetBlue Airways: 250 points = 200 JetBlue TrueBlue® points
(The Canadian transfer ratios are listed directly on the Canadian site.)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki lists all of the Amex USA airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. How long does it typically take to compete a transfer?

MR USA airline and hotel partner transfer times.

Q. How can I use Membership Rewards points to travel on American Airlines, United Airlines, Alaska Airlines or other carriers which are not transfer partners?

Membership Rewards (USA) points can be transferred to three or more frequent flyer programs in each of the international alliances. Any program can arrange award travel on flights operated by all members of the same alliance. Points cannot be transferred from one frequent flyer program to another, instead you redeem for a partner award. The number of miles required is determined by the program through which you redeem, not by the airline operating the flights. Programs in the same alliance will require different amounts of miles, and different co-payments, for the same flights. Do not transfer until you understand the full cost of the flights you need. Do not transfer until you have confirmed availability for your specific dates and route.

To travel on American Airlines or any other OneWorld carrier redeem through:
  • Asia Miles (Cathay Pacific)
  • British Airways
  • Iberia Airlines
  • Qantas Airways

American also has partnership outside OneWorld with:
  • Etihad

To travel on Delta Air Lines or any other SkyTeam carrier redeem through:
  • Delta Air Lines (DL permits one-way awards as of 01 JAN 2015, however trips originating in Europe carry additional surcharges; Delta also imposes surcharges on trips using some partner airlines such as China Eastern or China Southern, but notably not on trips involving its European partners (as long as the trip originates outside Europe) or Virgin Australia.)
  • AeroMexico
  • Alitalia
  • FlyingBlue (Air France, KLM, Air Europa, Kenya Airways, Aircalin and Tarom.)

To travel on United Airlines or any other Star Alliance carrier redeem through:
  • Aeroplan (Air Canada) No fuel surcharge on flights operated by UA and many other airlines. Read current list HERE. See also transatlantic strategy discussion HERE. Read about changes to redemption charts in December 2015 HERE.
  • All Nippon Airways. Read about ANA fuel surcharges HERE. Read about changes to partner redemption charts in April 2015 HERE.
  • Avianca Airlines
  • Singapore Airlines. Read HERE
    Read about Singapore Airlines' reciprocal mile conversion arrangement with Virgin Australia HERE.

To travel on Alaska Airlines redeem through:

Q. Rather than transferring now, can I preserve my Membership Rewards USA points balance without paying any annual fee?

Apply for an American Express Everyday card, and link it to the same Membership Rewards account. You may then close the other cards.
Print Wikipost

Transfer Membership Rewards points to which airline or hotel program? (2015 - 2021)

Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:43 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mhdena
Those are Canadian.
Correct. The USA transfer ratios can still be seen by following the link in the Wikipost.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: Alaska, AA
Hi,

I'm trying to book an Alaska first class award on Emirates. Have a bunch of Amex points, but not sure the best way to transfer these? Would the only way be to transfer to SPG then Alaska? That doesn't seem like a great way to go. Is there another way to trade Amex points for Alaska Airlines?

Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by schindlr88
Hi,

I'm trying to book an Alaska first class award on Emirates. Have a bunch of Amex points, but not sure the best way to transfer these? Would the only way be to transfer to SPG then Alaska? That doesn't seem like a great way to go. Is there another way to trade Amex points for Alaska Airlines?

Thanks!
There is no other way to get Alaska miles from AMEX. AMEX to SPG to Alaska is your only option and as you said, is a terrible way to go. Sometimes AMEX offers targeted transfer bonuses to SPG which you could wait for.

Otherwise, you can try getting Alaska credit cards to rack up points. If you haven't abused that system, BoA should approve you.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:16 am

Thanks kind stranger of the internet!

Was reading about Coupon Connection and actually trading miles with someone, but looks like that's pretty frowned upon by the airlines.

Have you seen anything other than 25k miles for Alaska from BoA?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by schindlr88
Thanks kind stranger of the internet!

Was reading about Coupon Connection and actually trading miles with someone, but looks like that's pretty frowned upon by the airlines.

Have you seen anything other than 25k miles for Alaska from BoA?
Yea I've seen higher. 30k for sure I've seen and there may have been reports about people getting 50k targeted mail offers.

One other trick is to buy fully refundable tickets with Alaska, buy Fly & Buy miles as part of the ticket, then cancel the airfare once the miles hit your account. Very very cheap way to buy the tickets.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:20 am

It might be easier to just transfer amex to Emirates directly and book through skywards. You'll pay fuel surcharges but you'll get better availability.

All other exchange rates are going to cost you more (like the SPG route)
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crimsona
It might be easier to just transfer amex to Emirates directly and book through skywards. You'll pay fuel surcharges but you'll get better availability.

All other exchange rates are going to cost you more (like the SPG route)
Horrible advice. Check out how many skywards points you need for a first class seat. It's astronomical.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:05 am

Just looked it up, LAX/SEA-DXB in F is 155k on Skywards one way. I haven't kept track, but have there been transfer promos to EK?

Amex MR is 3:1 to SPG
SPG to AS is 1:1.25, so it'll cost 216k MR to get 90k AS that way

I wouldn't call it astronomical. It's more than Alaska's program, but you do get better availability, maybe chauffeur drive and it's easy rather than telling someone to start from scratch
Old Nov 30, 2015, 9:10 am
mia

...have there been transfer promos to EK?
Only once, November 2013. I believe this coincided with Skywards addition to the USA Membership Rewards program.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

Just looked it up, LAX/SEA-DXB in F is 155k on Skywards one way. I haven't kept track, but have there been transfer promos to EK?

Amex MR is 3:1 to SPG
SPG to AS is 1:1.25, so it'll cost 216k MR to get 90k AS that way

I wouldn't call it astronomical. It's more than Alaska's program, but you do get better availability, maybe chauffeur drive and it's easy rather than telling someone to start from scratch
A roundtrip with your wife would require 620k points. Very very few people unless they're hardcore Emirates flyers or want to empty their rewards accounts at UR/MR/TYP/Starpoints would be able to get that. In comparison to Singapore Suites, which are less than half the mileage cost of EK, and are just as good if not a better experience.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 10:43 am

Just book one way then, why do you need a return on the same airline?

If he is asking for options out of the amex program it's an option. We don't know how many points someone has.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:15 pm

Thanks.

150k amex, and 300k united which seem less valuable in this endeavor.

Looked at Singapore Suites, but couldn't find any availability. Trying to get from Seattle to CMB. Would it be easier to buy a tix to a Singapore gateway and then search from there?

Thanks sincerely
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Hello Amex gurus. I have close to 100k MR points that I will need to transfer soon as I plan to close my card.

Most of the discussion here is geared around transferring to airline points. However, I do not need to transfer to airlines (have non-rev benefits) but much rather would transfer to hotel points.

Ideally I'd love to move these to Marriott (Gold) or IHG (Spire) but it seems I can only do Hilton (Diamond) or SPG and Choice (Where I don't have any status).

Is there ever a bonus promo on hotel transfers? I take it right now 100k points transfer to Hilton will yield 150k points. Or is it still better to move them to SPG at 1000:333 points and wait for it to merge with Marriott (but this is open to all sorts of speculation).

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 8:50 am
mia

Originally Posted by porphyra
... I'd love to move these to ... IHG (Spire) ?
This can be done. First transfer 1:1 to Virgin Atlantic (NOT Virgin America), then transfer from Virgin Atlantic to IHG 1:1. I leave it to you to decide if this is good value.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/us/en...ntinental.html

Flying Club members can exchange their miles for IHG® Rewards Club points which can be redeemed for IHG Rewards such as free hotel nights, gift vouchers, merchandise and flights.

Exchange miles at a rate: 1 Flying Club mile for 1 IHG® Rewards Club point

Minimum Level: 10,000 miles and then in increments of 5,000. Just call your Flying Club Helpline with your IHG® Rewards Club account number.

*Please note your name on your Flying Club membership account must match exactly with the name on your IHG® Rewards Club account for a successful transfer. Your transfer will take up to 30 days and a booking cannot be made until the transfer is complete
Old Dec 18, 2015, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
I leave it to you to decide if this is good value.
Unless he plans to transfer and redeem at IHG Thalasso, it's not a wise decision.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.