Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Centurion and Platinum airport lounge access: Airspace, Centurion, Delta, Escape

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
This thread is for discussion of lounges accessed by presenting the Centurion or Platinum Card.

Click HERE for discussion of the separate Priority Pass benefit.

All American Express Centurion and Platinum charge cards issued worldwide provide access to:
  • Delta SkyClubs when flying DL.
  • Airspace lounges when flying any airline. Current location: SAN.
  • US Escape Lounges when flying any airline. Current locations: BDL, GSP, MSP, OAK, ONT, PBI, PHX, PVD, RNO, SMF. (N.B. UK locations are accessible via Priority Pass.)
  • Most Plaza Premium lounges; Plaza Premium First lounges seem to be excluded.
  • AMEX Centurion Lounges when flying any airline. (Please do not use this thread to post about individual Centurion clubs. Use the dedicated thread for each location.)

Current Centurion Lounges:
  • DFW Dallas (2013, Expanded 2018)
  • DEN Denver (2021)
  • HKG Hong Kong (2017)
  • IAH Houston (2016)
  • LAS Las Vegas (2013)
  • MIA Miami (2015, Expanded 2019)
  • LGA New York, La Guardia (2014)
  • PHL Philadelphia (2017)
  • PHX Phoenix (2020)
  • SFO San Francisco (2014)
  • SEA Seattle (2015, Expanded 2017)

These additional locations are announced, but not yet open:
  • CLT Charlotte
  • LHR London, Heathrow
  • LAX Los Angeles----open now in TBIT
  • JFK New York, Kennedy---open now in T4

Current international locations: CGH, EZE, HKG, GDL, GIG, GRU, MEX, MTY

Cards issued in USA also include:
  • Priority Pass Select which includes most AS lounges, hundreds of independent lounges, but no AA, DL or UA lounges. AS lounges exclude Priority Pass at peak periods.
  • $200 Airline Fee Credit which can be used to partially reimburse the cost of an AA, AS, DL or UA club membership.

Cards issued outside the USA include:
  • Priority Pass.
  • Access to other lounges or networks which vary by country.

Airspace lounge access includes spouse and children under age 21, or up to two traveling companions, at no cost.
DL no longer accepts guests at no charge. Discussion here: Delta Skyclub-- no more free guest
Priority Pass access includes the cardholder plus two guests. Additional guests are $27 each per visit.
Escape lounges will admit AU cardholders who are minors traveling solo. Amex and DL explicitly prohibit minors from entering without adults, but YMMV.

Access to select Lufthansa Lounges When Flying Lufthansa: There does not seem to be a page announcing this, but if you go to the Lounge Finder here: https://www.americanexpress.com/idc/...llection.html/ and enter a German airoport (I know that FRA and MIC works) you get the listing. It basically bumps you up one lounge - so if you are travelling coach, you get access to the Business Class Lounge, if you are flying Business Class, you get the First Class (Senator) Lounge.

Print Wikipost

Centurion and Platinum airport lounge access: Airspace, Centurion, Delta, Escape

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:28 pm

​​​​​​​Mothers Amex Plat for delta sky lounge.

Can I add her Amex Plat to my Delta app wallet and just scan the boarding pass to enter?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 2:23 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Are you asking if you can use your mother's American Express Platinum charge card to enter a lounge?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Hypesage
Can I add her Amex Plat to my Delta app wallet and just scan the boarding pass to enter?
Nope. The name of the card associated in the payment of the Delta app has match the name on the boarding pass.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc…
Does the wiki needs updating? International locations is missing LHR T3 (Still reported as announced- opened October 2021)

also LAX has been open for some time (so i would simply move it to the list of opened lounges) and I guess some of the other “announced” may be by now already open
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold
Chip needed to access centurion lounge?

Hi all, the chip in my platinum card seems to be defective. Have tried to make in person payment transactions at a number of locations recently and nobody seems able to read the card. The card itself is still active and works for online transactions no problem. Obviously I need to order a replacement however I have upcoming travel planned and a replacement won’t make it to me before I leave. Does anyone know if the card is actually inserted into a payment terminal to verify its authenticity at Centurion lounge locations or does Amex have some other kind of back end system to check? Thanks!
Old Nov 2, 2022, 6:58 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Bazz16202
.....does Amex have some other kind of back end system to check? Thanks!
Even if they cannot read the card, they will allow you to enter, read here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-access.html
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
Even if they cannot read the card, they will allow you to enter, read here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-access.html
Yep, happened to me once at SFO. Agent looked up my account very quickly. No problem.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Does anyone know if the card is actually inserted into a payment terminal to verify its authenticity at Centurion lounge locations or does Amex have some other kind of back end system to check? Thanks!
Originally Posted by mia
Even if they cannot read the card, they will allow you to enter
Originally Posted by dhuey
Yep, happened to me once at SFO. Agent looked up my account very quickly. No problem.
Also, keep in mind you can check-in using the app in the "membership" tab. Generally, this doesn't save much time, since they still need a boarding pass and ID, but it does supplant the need to show a physical card.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Does anyone know if the card is actually inserted into a payment terminal to verify its authenticity at Centurion lounge locations
The card is swiped to read the mag stripe, not inserted to validate the chip.
Old Nov 20, 2022, 2:42 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Is it normal for a non sterling transaction fee to be applied for a centurion lounge visit overseas with a UK platinum ?

I have a UK platinum and used the centurion lounge at DEL a few weeks ago .. Can see a 0.02 GBP non sterling transaction charge . I know it is nothing much but haven't noticed this on previous visits ( was before covid hit) .

I was expecting it to go away at some point but the statement period is now over and the 0.02 fee is still there.

i always try to avoid using the UK.amex platinum overseas due to the non sterling fees ..One exception is when I book hotels through Amex fine hotels and resorts when the benefits ( upgrades / perks ) are far more than any fees..
Old Nov 20, 2022, 10:27 am
mia

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
.... 0.02 GBP ....
I have no direct experience. This type of token transaction is typically generated when the merchant validates a card. It is usually a pending transaction and expires. If this one posted I think it is a mistake by the lounge operator, and American Express should cheerfully remove it if asked. If a sizeable batch of transactions was processed incorrectly an offsetting credit may post automatically.
ukdoctor likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Used the Plaza lounge at LHR T2 today with my UK Amex platinum

Was told by the agent that my visit is limited to maximum 3 hours and I have to pay an additional fee if I wanted to stay longer. It didn't matter today for me as my flight was in 2 hours

Has anyone else had a similar experience recently .. So far with the priority pass select which I have with my Amex platinum or with the Amex platinum directly I've never been told about a stay limit in the 10 + lounges I've used this month .

PS: for those who are not aware Plaza lounges in the UK have ended their contract with priority pass / loungebuddy etc. However those with Amex platinum and above can get entry..
Old Dec 5, 2022, 12:00 pm
mia

....Plaza lounges in the UK have ended their contract with priority pass / loungebuddy etc. However those with Amex platinum and above can get entry..
This is true systemwide: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airp...ey-access.html
Old Dec 5, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Was told by the agent that my visit is limited to maximum 3 hours and I have to pay an additional fee if I wanted to stay longer...Has anyone else had a similar experience recently...
Yes, at the JFK VS Clubhouse. I was asked to check out with staff by the 3 hour limit to avoid a charge to my Amex. On the way, out, staff did not seem particularly precise about marking me "departed" but assured me not to worry about being charged.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 8:00 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Sounds like a scare tactic to prevent lounge lizards.

Do they even have a pricing structure for additional hours? I can't see one easily available anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.