Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by gonkman
But are Referrals dead? I just sent a referral to myself and as per the wording..

5. Offer subject to change at any time. Offer valid for applications received by American Express through the links provided within the referral communication and other select communications from americanexpress.ca. This offer cannot be combined with any other offer. Subject to change without notice. Account must be in good standing. You will receive your bonus points when you have at least $500 in net purchases posted to your account in your first 3 months of Cardmembership. Please allow 8 to 10 weeks for the bonus Membership Rewards points to be awarded. If you have already applied for The American Express Gold Rewards Card without using this recommendation, you will not be eligible for the bonus Membership Rewards points.

The Last bolded part doesn't say anything about not getting the signup bonus if you had the card previously? Just that if you applied without using the link in the referral e-mail you won't get the points.

I would assume I could continue to refer back and forth every 6 months between my wife and I as it doesn't say anything about previous cardholders.

Thoughts??
Personally, I think amex just hasn't updated those T&Cs yet. I can't see them continuing to allow churning if it's by referral only!

However, since the T&C haven't been updated, it's worth getting one last card in by referral to see if it works!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
A member of our churn team applied for the Gold Rewards card through my referral link yesterday and was approved. He's had the card before. I already got the referral points, and will report back when he gets his bonus, as a data point.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Amex Gold, Platinum, AeroplanPlus Gold, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Preacher7
A member of our churn team applied for the Gold Rewards card through my referral link yesterday and was approved. He's had the card before. I already got the referral points, and will report back when he gets his bonus, as a data point.
I self referred last week from Platinum to Gold and got approved. The referral bonus has been credited into my MR account. I will also report back after I reach the minimum spending requirement.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by evilnfs
I self referred last week from Platinum to Gold and got approved. The referral bonus has been credited into my MR account. I will also report back after I reach the minimum spending requirement.
It changed July 1st so if it was before then it wouldnt be a datapoint
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90
It changed July 1st so if it was before then it wouldnt be a datapoint
I could see them claiming they have the right to change the T&C at any time even after you've agreed to them
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by zer0k1
I could see them claiming they have the right to change the T&C at any time even after you've agreed to them
We'll see, won't we? As I said, I will come back with a legitimate data point very soon, likely this week. Applied post-July 1 on a referral link. We'll know soon...
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond
When do the AMEX Platinum points post after the minimum spend?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:05 am

If I'm told to wait 8 to ten weeks on a sign-up bonus from May, I don't think it'll be soon...
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by loun80
When do the AMEX Platinum points post after the minimum spend?
Ranges from NEXT DAY to 6, or 8-10 weeks. YMMV
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
A friend just tried to apply through my referral link (FYF gold card) and got this message:

"Sorry, the American Express online application is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Please begin another application to apply for the Card by clicking here to return to the American Express Home Page. Thank you and we apologise for any inconvenience.
"

I don't know if this means they changed the terms and my link wont work anymore!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Accor Platinum,Aeroplan,BA,Marriot Rewards, Alaska Airlines, Amex Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by tryinginvain
A friend just tried to apply through my referral link (FYF gold card) and got this message:

"Sorry, the American Express online application is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

Please begin another application to apply for the Card by clicking here to return to the American Express Home Page. Thank you and we apologise for any inconvenience.
"

I don't know if this means they changed the terms and my link wont work anymore!
I just checked the link on my platinum to gold self referral and its still fine. I sent myself 3 referrals on July 1st, applied and approved for business gold, personal gold card is being reviewed(I already have one and just cancelled one), 15000 referral points posted to my MR July3rd.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by kay sedia
I just checked the link on my platinum to gold self referral and its still fine. I sent myself 3 referrals on July 1st, applied and approved for business gold, personal gold card is being reviewed(I already have one and just cancelled one), 15000 referral points posted to my MR July3rd.
The initial referral page loads. But when I check the box and click on the "apply now" link it opens the message I posted above.

I just sent myself a new referral to test. When I get it I'll see if it works and if the terms changed.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by tryinginvain
The initial referral page loads. But when I check the box and click on the "apply now" link it opens the message I posted above.

I just sent myself a new referral to test. When I get it I'll see if it works and if the terms changed.
My new link works. I don't see anything different in the terms, but I could be missing something. It makes no sense that my link from yesterday doesn't work anymore?

Can someone who created a link from having a gold rewards card recently test it and see if their's works?

My friend who wants the card now didn't have it before so if the terms changed it wont affect her anyway.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:40 am

I tested my own referral link (from Plat), it works fine
I clicked on GOLD card, and can get to the page where one enters name and all the information

Just try it later, or try from different computer
or even, generate a new link
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I tested my own referral link (from Plat), it works fine
I clicked on GOLD card, and can get to the page where one enters name and all the information

Just try it later, or try from different computer
or even, generate a new link
I generated a new link and it works. I just find it odd that the one I created yesterday doesn't work anymore. I guess it's possible I missed a character in the url when I generated a tinyurl.....but the first page with the card choices loads. As long as the terms haven't changed, it's fine now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.