Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2015, 7:51 pm

For people using Air Miles Cash, save them until they have rebate promos where you can get rebated 25 air miles. That's a net of 70 Air Miles for $10, for 14 cent per mile valuation - better than merch.

For low balance Dream rewards, wait until Safeway does their spring group deals, or use them for tickets - the Vancouver Aquarium ones were a pretty good deal since the Entertainment book removed the buy 1 get 1 free coupon
Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
For people using Air Miles Cash, save them until they have rebate promos where you can get rebated 25 air miles. That's a net of 70 Air Miles for $10, for 14 cent per mile valuation - better than merch.

For low balance Dream rewards, wait until Safeway does their spring group deals, or use them for tickets - the Vancouver Aquarium ones were a pretty good deal since the Entertainment book removed the buy 1 get 1 free coupon
Thanks - this is really helpful!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:11 am

Has anybody recently cancelled their Platinum card?

The first year on mine is ending soon - what's the likelihood I'll be able to claim the $200 travel credit and then cancel next month? I knew I should have timed it better to the middle of the year!
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Maybe not helpful but I'm only going for one credit per card, I'm cancelling my Plat soon as well and used the $200 last year.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
Maybe not helpful but I'm only going for one credit per card, I'm cancelling my Plat soon as well and used the $200 last year.
Read quite a few anecdotes that the travel credit is being clawed back if you cancel in the same year.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
Originally Posted by tng11
Read quite a few anecdotes that the travel credit is being clawed back if you cancel in the same year.
That's my reasoning, plus I don't have any travel that I could use the credit for other than the one SYD overnight that I'm going to use for the $200 my wife's Plat is due.

If I call PTS will they match the hotels direct rate? On the Amex booking site it's $150 (per night) more than the Rydges website.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by mikeycanuk
If I call PTS will they match the hotels direct rate? On the Amex booking site it's $150 (per night) more than the Rydges website.
I see that they have a corporate ID box for online booking, which likely means they also have travel agent booking as well (with commission paid).

So the odds are extremely good that PTS will book with that and give you that rate.

For instance AMEX site gave me much higher fare than CX website when I tried to book flights. But without me asking, the phone agent quoted me the exact same low fare as CX website.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 1:53 pm
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by beep88
I see that they have a corporate ID box for online booking, which likely means they also have travel agent booking as well (with commission paid).

So the odds are extremely good that PTS will book with that and give you that rate.

For instance AMEX site gave me much higher fare than CX website when I tried to book flights. But without me asking, the phone agent quoted me the exact same low fare as CX website.
Just a data point, but I've had success asking them to book an SPG hotel with a SET rate before, and then apply the $200 credit. I think as long as they do it it should be fine.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 3:12 pm

do cross-product referrals usually work in terms of the referrer getting the points as well?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by zer0k1
do cross-product referrals usually work in terms of the referrer getting the points as well?
no.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, Le Club Plat
Talking about SPG...their 20k Sign up bonus is back (previously 10k).
Unfortunately no FYF, but still a pretty good offer.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...ns_10_en.shtml
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by HongKongVisitor
Talking about SPG...their 20k Sign up bonus is back (previously 10k).
Unfortunately no FYF, but still a pretty good offer.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...ns_10_en.shtml
no referral (yet) though
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Exp, SPG Gold, Le Club Plat
Referral or not, 20k for $120 is a pretty good deal. Good thing I have a Canadian address.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
I guess I'm spoiled b/c I'm a double dipper (US too), but I don't think this is that good a deal. 2 years ago, we had the FYF bonanza, which was great. Last year, once the min. spend was met, with the referral we got 32K starpoints for $120. This is not even half as good as that.

Last edited by Preacher7; Jan 12, 2015 at 8:06 pm
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
I guess I'm spoiled b/c I'm a double dipper (US too), but I don't think this is that good a deal. 2 years ago, we had the FYF bonanza, which was great. Last year, once the min. spend was met, with the referral we got 32K starpoints for $120. This is not even half as good as that.
As a double dipper maybe you could answer this: If I load my Serve card with Amex CA would they treat it as a regular purchase??? I know I'd lose 2.5% forex but at time it can be worth it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.