Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
The Rewards Canada blog just posted that the current Starwood Amex offer will end on March 31st and then revert back to 10,000 starpoints, so I'm definitely getting in on this now...
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by lily23
The Rewards Canada blog just posted that the current Starwood Amex offer will end on March 31st and then revert back to 10,000 starpoints, so I'm definitely getting in on this now...
I doubt that blog had any real background info.

It's probably just speculating based on the fact GCR's website list the SPG offer last until March 31. Which...often times get extended.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Amex Canada Welcome Bonus increase soon/again?

Hi guys,
Any ideas if the Canadian Amexes will be increasing their welcome offers any time soon? Especially the Aeroplan Plus Gold/Plat, back to 30/50k?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Hi guys,
Any ideas if the Canadian Amexes will be increasing their welcome offers any time soon? Especially the Aeroplan Plus Gold/Plat, back to 30/50k?
I wish someone knows the future too

Somehow I doubt it'll come back, since we have passed the "fight for Aeroplan market share between AMEX/CIBC/TD period from 2013-2014"

I have AMEX to thank for all my AP miles
Old Feb 28, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: A3*G, OZ*G, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by jerryhung
I wish someone knows the future too

Somehow I doubt it'll come back, since we have passed the "fight for Aeroplan market share between AMEX/CIBC/TD period from 2013-2014"

Any idea why one can't refer the new AMEX AP card (super reserve whatever)?
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: *void
...the "fight for Aeroplan market share between AMEX/CIBC/TD period from 2013-2014"

No arguments here, Amex has been very generous with the free Aeros and MR points, and has been the bread winner by far.

But CIBC and TD also chipped in with +100K each too.

Two years ago I didn't even know what a mini-RTW was! Now, I know.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by Skyborne Flyer
Any idea why one can't refer the new AMEX AP card (super reserve whatever)?
You certainly could, but it's such a bad card, no welcome bonus is worth the $899/year fee
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...e-credit-card/
Earn 50,000 bonus Aeroplan®* miles after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months of Cardmembership2

In comparison, regular AMEX Platinum is MUCH better off at $699/year, but 60K welcome bonus + 2 x $200 credit
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:14 am

You certainly could, but it's such a bad card, no welcome bonus is worth the $899/year fee
https://www.americanexpress.com/ca/e...e-credit-card/
Earn 50,000 bonus Aeroplan®* miles after you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months of Cardmembership2

In comparison, regular AMEX Platinum is MUCH better off at $699/year, but 60K welcome bonus + 2 x $200 credit
There is no option to refer it from what I can see

Last edited by zer0k1; Mar 1, 2015 at 7:20 am
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by lily23
No one would apply for 10k, so it will not stay at 10k for long.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
My wife just got her new BizGold on Friday. This was only 3 months after cancelling the old one! I'll have to get my application in soon. I've even got enough spending with 3 suppliers that are on the 2X list that in 3 months I'll hit the $5000 all with double MR! I do have to pay the 2% fee on Plastique for Enbridge bills but I value MR around 3%, so 2% for 6% return.

Just got an AeroPlat and the bonus is still sweet.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:08 am

I have had Amex Gold, Amex AP and Amex Plat on my Amex account. I have cancelled both the Gold and AP for 6 months but my Amex Plat is still active. However, the two cancelled cards are still showing up in my account as Cancelled when I log in. Since it has 6 months have passed, will I be able to re-apply for the Gold with sign up bonus or will I not get it because it still shows as Cancelled in my account? Show I just cancelled my Plat (which I'm planning to anyway) and wait another 3 months before applying for the Gold again?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Derekkwleung
I have had Amex Gold, Amex AP and Amex Plat on my Amex account. I have cancelled both the Gold and AP for 6 months but my Amex Plat is still active. However, the two cancelled cards are still showing up in my account as Cancelled when I log in. Since it has 6 months have passed, will I be able to re-apply for the Gold with sign up bonus or will I not get it because it still shows as Cancelled in my account? Show I just cancelled my Plat (which I'm planning to anyway) and wait another 3 months before applying for the Gold again?
You can remove Cancelled cards online (go under Card management on the top > remove cards)

You should be okay with 6+ months wait
Refer from [Plat] to [Gold] - 15K referral. You can input your Plat # and hope AMEX Auto-links the new Gold to your Plat's AMEX MR account

[Gold] - 25K welcome bonus
Then cancel [Plat]
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:24 am

Smile

You can remove Cancelled cards online (go under Card management on the top > remove cards)

You should be okay with 6+ months wait
Refer from [Plat] to [Gold] - 15K referral. You can input your Plat # and hope AMEX Auto-links the new Gold to your Plat's AMEX MR account

[Gold] - 25K welcome bonus
Then cancel [Plat]
Thanks for the advise ^, probably will sign up for BizGold first then recycle with the Gold
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Bonvoy, Alaska, Avios
We just got away with 4 months between BizGold cancel and reapply.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:01 am

I'm about to apply for the Amex gold, are there any referral bonus or something like this when we sign up ? Should I use any link to sign up or just do it on their website ?

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.