Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JJonahJ
This thread is a continuation of discussion which began HERE in 2011. It was very active in 2014, read HERE.

Referrals and self-referrals are an important part of churning Canadian-issued American Express cards. It is appropriate to discuss how the referral process works in this thread. However, please do not offer or request referrals here.

Use only this thread, and do read the Wikipost carefully before posting:

Referral Offers (post only in this thread, no referral links, read Wiki post first).

JerryHung: I figure I'll include all CURRENT AMEX Canada offers here (no referral links) for anyone curious about what the bonus and fees are
This is not an all-inclusive list, only the "good" offers, so feel free to add new offers

AMEX Platinum Rewards - $699/year, 60K MR (via referral) after $1000 spending in 3 months vs. 50K non-referral

AMEX Gold Rewards - $150/year, FYF, 25K MR after $500 spending + $50 cashback from GCR
(as of Jan 11, 2016 Gold card will no longer earn referral points.)

AMEX Air Miles Platinum - $65/year, FYF, 2000 Air Miles after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

AMEX SPG - $120/year, 20K SPG after $500 spending + $30 GCR cashback

New as of 2014/10/09
AMEX Business Gold Rewards - $250/year, FYF, 30K MR after $5000 spending (or 40K via referral)

AMEX Business Platinum Rewards - $399/year, 40K MR after $5000 spending (or 50K via referral)

AMEX Aeroplan Plus Platinum - $499/year, 50K Aeroplans after $1000 spending in 3 months (or 51K via referral). Normally 40K/41K, extra 10K promo running till Mar 31, 2016
Print Wikipost

Churning Amex in Canada (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2015, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ecgz88
anyone know if personal gold purchase in Safeway/Superstore count as 2 points?

2.You can earn 2 Membership Rewards points (“points”) for every $1 in eligible consumer purchases at American Express retail merchants as follows: (i) at stand-alone automobile gasoline stations in Canada, (ii) at stand-alone drugstores in Canada, (iii) at stand-alone grocery stores in Canada, and (iv) for travel services or travel bookings including air, water, rail and road transport, lodging and tour operator sales but not including local and commuter transportation. Purchases at merchants where gas, grocery, pharmacy and travel sales are not their primary business (including superstores, wholesale clubs, alcohol retailers and general merchandise retailers) do not qualify for the earn rate in this category. Merchants are typically assigned codes and categorized based on what they sell. Earn rate of 1 point for every $1 applies if the merchant code is not in an eligible category, the purchase is made using an electronic wallet or is not made directly from the provider of the good or service, e.g. through a third party or by using a mobile device (e.g. smart phone) with an attached card reader. Provided your account is in good standing, points can be earned on eligible purchases less returns and other credits. Interest, fees, and charges for travellers cheques and foreign currencies are not purchases and do not earn points.
Safeway does for sure, I dont shop at Superstore.

Even the Starbucks inside Safeway counts lol
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Originally Posted by Smiley90
so we're three people with 25k extra? we need more data points

who else has recently applied to the aeroplat and what did you get?
Same thing happened to my wife - 25k for no apparent reason (though we have yet to get the other 40K + 11K). I have zero idea as to why this 25k happened, but like the rest of you, I am not asking any questions at all....enjoy while you can fellow flyertalkers, the churning days are slowly coming to an end, sadly.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Safeway does for sure, I dont shop at Superstore.

Even the Starbucks inside Safeway counts lol
Safeway yes. Superstore doesn't take Amex...
Old Dec 19, 2015, 5:23 pm

Safeway yes but Superstore does not take Amex period.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:05 pm

Do old referral links still work? I'm seeing the new referral screen but had someone apply using my old link... but no referral bonus yet.

This was a Gold business to Gold rewards
Old Dec 20, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: *void
How old was your referral? My wife created a referral in early Oct. I used it last week, she got the referral points, within a day after my approval. Same cards as your scenario, btw.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 4:56 am

My July 2015-generated referral link still works as of this week (I see the bonus next day after "approval" as he had to call in to clear the approval)
Gold -> Gold

maybe your "someone" isn't approved yet? have him/her call in with Ref #
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Platinum
Originally Posted by eishv
Hey all - bit of an off the wall question.

I referred my wife to the AMEX aeroplan platinum. When we never saw the welcome/bonus points posted, we called and they told us it had been deposited into an Aeroplan account that wasn't ours. AMEX claims I we never posted an AEROPLAN number when we signed up so they automatically created an aeroplan account and put them there.

They're now saying we have to call Aeroplan to merge the two accounts.

Now firstly, I am absolutely sure I put my Aeroplan number in when we signed up.

Number 2, I am worried that Aeroplan won't like this. I know you aren't supposed to deposit into an account that isnt' yours (and the Aeroplan account is in my name and the aeroplan platinum card is in my wife's name). I'm worried they'll refuse, or at the least, charge us some fee to transfer 25000 points.

Could anyone comment on whether I'm right or not and have any suggestions on how I proceed from here? AMEX is flat out refusing to look further despite my insistence.

THanks!
Just as an update for everyone's knowledge. AMEX did create a new Aeroplan account (though they wouldn't specify why), and deposited the 25k in there. All attempts to get them to deposit it into the original (mine) account failed - they just state to call Aeroplan and they'll merge the two accounts together.

At this point, I think we're going to let this go. I'm sure Aeroplan will see two different names on the account and refuse to merge them. Just FYI.

Quite disappointing, but that's how she goes. Goodluck everyone.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Annual fee posted on my gold card yesterday. Called in to cancel and was given 25,000 MR points to stay on so same as sign up bonus but no FYF.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by JJonahJ
How old was your referral? My wife created a referral in early Oct. I used it last week, she got the referral points, within a day after my approval. Same cards as your scenario, btw.
August generated, referral points posted today. Crisis averted. Not self-referral, was a buddy's that I offered $75 to to beat GCR's payout
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I was thinking about self-referring for the Amex Gold Rewards and Amex AeroGold, but for the first time I got the dreaded "new" referral page.

Once you get it is it there to stay like a stubborn disease, or is it possible to get the "old" referral page back?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: aeroplan airmiles priorityclub choiceprivilege asiamiles spg bw
I am about to pull the trigger doing a self-referral from biz gold to personal gold reward, but reading the previous few posts gives me the impression that "self-referral bonus" is hit-or-miss at best now?

Has anyone done a selfie and still getting the selfie bonus?

If it is not a surething, I would go the G-C-R route instead ...
Old Dec 23, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by ValueHunter99
I am about to pull the trigger doing a self-referral from biz gold to personal gold reward, but reading the previous few posts gives me the impression that "self-referral bonus" is hit-or-miss at best now?

Has anyone done a selfie and still getting the selfie bonus?

If it is not a surething, I would go the G-C-R route instead ...
I think you're good to go
Your 25K may just take longer
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by jubberly
Just got off the phone with Amex.The gentleman said they needed to verify that it was really a genuine application.Confirmed name,address,date of birth....approved.
Card arrived today! WOW! that was fast....especially at this time of year.Just in time for Boxing day sales!
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: *void
Just got a new Business Gold Rewards card. Took exactly 5 business days to arrive after applying...pretty fast indeed, considering the Business version uses regular Canada Post mail delivery, versus the Personal Gold which is couriered with Xpresspost and usually arrives in just 3 business days after approval.

Spent the $5K threshold spend within 2 days. The required $$ txns posted when I checked Amex.ca at 7am. Checked again at 9am, and the 40K MR points posted as well. Good to see no delays for the Biz Gold's welcome points to post, in contrast to several people posting that the Plat's 60K takes 4-8 weeks to post. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.