Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia

Reminder: you must enroll and select UA as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase (this includes MPX). Click HERE.

Caution: As of December 2016, it appears that American Express no longer reimburses MPX transactions.

Credits generally appear 3-4 days after making the transaction. No need to worry unless they don't appear after a week.

TravelBank
funds can only be used on United and United Express flights. Partner flights are not eligible.

Gift Registry and Gift Cards

The consensus is that United gift registry contributions will be reimbursed and gift card purchases will not. So
  1. Log into united.com
  2. Set up a gift registry for yourself
  3. Use the link in your gift registry web page to send an announcement to your email address. This better, faster, and more reliable than searching for your gift registry, especially if you have a common name. Even someone with an unusual surname like mre5765 has could not find his registry after creating it.
  4. Log out of united.com
  5. Follow the Make Contribution in your gift registry email
  6. Contribute using your Amex platinum card

There seems to be no downside to contributing in sub-200 dollar chunks since the gift registry creates a single pool of cash. However there are lots of reports of successful fee credits from a single $200 donation. Whether done as on $200 transaction or eight $25 transactions, the result is that one will have $200 in ones TravelBank.

PLEASE NOTE: When you establish a gift registry for the first time, it will take 24 hours before the funds in the registry are available to use toward payment of a flight.

Do I have to join the united.com Club ($25 annual fee) to use my TravelBank?

Apparently not.

Does spending TravelBank credit count towards PQD?

Yes-for revenue flights only
Airline Taxes on Award Tickets
Doesn't seem to work anymore; see post 179 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25297196-post179.html and #391
MPX (MileagePlus X)
It appears that this is no longer working. See this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27589581-post1496.html.
Economy Plus fees
There are recent reports of this working on a per ticket basis. No recent report of an Economy Plus annual subscription being reimbursed.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: UA only. [2010 - 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA million miler
Airline Fee Credit Spouse Card

I might have overlooked this question in the discussion but can both the main cardholder and a secondary card holder on the main account get the $200 fee credit? In other words, if we have two cards on one account can we get $400 total? Thanks.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by ispflyer
... if we have two cards on one account can we get $400 total? Thanks.
No. Charges from both cards can be used to earn the benefit, but it is capped at $200 per account (not per card) per calendar year.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:00 pm

Data point: upgraded two economy tickets (paid with another card) to economy plus, at a cost of $213. A few days later, got a credit for $200.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 9:04 am

Also me: purchased a $200 Amazon GC through the MPX app on July 20, reimbursed on July 22
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:38 am

Bought four times $50 Amazon GC on 19th, still no credit today.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:23 am

BTW, what's your description of payments in account summary on AMEX website? Mine is just MILEAGEPLUS X, nothing else....
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:54 am

I signed up for gift registry will fund it--BUT I can not see where to buy Amazon GC using
money in gift reg acct
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:13 pm
mia

Originally Posted by SPLP007
...-BUT I can not see where to buy Amazon GC using money in gift reg acct
That's because you cannot. There are two separate programs discussed in this thread.

Gift registry - used for UA flights
MPX - used to buy gift cards (Amazon is only an example)
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:53 am

Premier Rewards Gold Card $100 Airline Fee Credit benefit

Hi,

I recently got the Premier Rewards Gold Card and was wondering if I purchase MileagePlus Award Accelerator for an existing reservation I have with UA, does it fall under the criteria of the $100 airline fee credit?

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
$200 MPX JCPenny's charge on the 23rd was reimbursed on the 26th. Cashier wasn't happy about waiting for the card to generate and then having to type it in, as usual...
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:42 am

Trying to Amazon GC from Mileage plus X app with Amex Platinum and my transaction keeps getting declined. Any tips to resolve this?
Old Jul 30, 2016, 5:05 pm
mia

Originally Posted by troyhouse
...GC from Mileage plus X app ...
If you MXP account is new read THIS post and wait patiently.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:55 pm
FTA

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Was told I haven't used any in fact was told on plat hadn't even assigned an airline. The latter had definitely been done and I was pretty sure I'd used some of the credits using MPX on both.
Same here, used my 2016 credit 2nd quarter this year but the offer is in my account again. Can I do it again? Searched the past 10 pages and only found your post
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FTA
Same here, used my 2016 credit 2nd quarter this year but the offer is in my account again. Can I do it again? Searched the past 10 pages and only found your post
They were very clueless on this I don't know why they can't answer the simple question, "how much airline credit remains on the card?" Seems very difficult and get someone competent if they seem not too smart. Oh well, it's charges I'll use anyway, just wish the mistake was honored.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:25 pm
FTA

So you did get the credit for the 2nd purchase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.