Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Not sure the UK Platinum team has an actual email for concierge queries. They do send you reservation confirmations by email but not sure they monitor further replies to that account. Perhaps someone else can confirm?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:17 pm

I've only used the Amex concierge to make high-end restaurant reservation in Japan because they won't deal directly with customers. It's been hit or miss. Many sushi restaurants won't work with Amex, though many do. When I showed up to a Tokyo sushi restaurant last week that I had reserved in September, they had no record of me and the hostess practically acted like I was a scammer. It was mildly humiliating (at least by Japanese standards). By then, it was too late to make another reservation anywhere comparable, so that was a damper on my vacation.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Originally Posted by scaredykat
I've only used the Amex concierge to make high-end restaurant reservation in Japan because they won't deal directly with customers. It's been hit or miss. Many sushi restaurants won't work with Amex, though many do. When I showed up to a Tokyo sushi restaurant last week that I had reserved in September, they had no record of me and the hostess practically acted like I was a scammer. It was mildly humiliating (at least by Japanese standards). By then, it was too late to make another reservation anywhere comparable, so that was a damper on my vacation.
Did you call amex to see what happened and did you try asking for compensation
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by JFSV
Not sure the UK Platinum team has an actual email for concierge queries. They do send you reservation confirmations by email but not sure they monitor further replies to that account. Perhaps someone else can confirm?
i believe they send you an email for each einquiry you make they will respond to emails in realation to this request not always within 24h.

Ive not tired opening a new request via this email address
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by happyvoid
Did you call amex to see what happened and did you try asking for compensation
They detailed the chain of events, including the name of the person who took the reservation and the time contacted, so it looks like the issue was on the restaurant's end not Amex's so I wasn't sure what recourse I had.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by scaredykat
They detailed the chain of events, including the name of the person who took the reservation and the time contacted, so it looks like the issue was on the restaurant's end not Amex's so I wasn't sure what recourse I had.
What restaurant was it?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:40 pm

Any recommendations for restaurants in Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
Kyoto: Isshinkyo. Not sure that any English is spoken. Just order the most expensive set course that you can afford, and relax and enjoy.
Too_Fly1 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
Provide some add'l info such as budget, likes/dislikes, etc. Otherwise, suggest Yelp.
jbeans likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Kyoto: Isshinkyo. Not sure that any English is spoken. Just order the most expensive set course that you can afford, and relax and enjoy.
Thanks! It looks great and relatively affordable.

Originally Posted by Troopers
Provide some add'l info such as budget, likes/dislikes, etc. Otherwise, suggest Yelp.
Looking for both modest to Michelin, price-wise, and open to try anything. I have been looking at Tripadvisor reviews on a few Michelin starred restaurants for potential reservations, but would appreciate recommendations here as well.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 9:04 am

It was Hakkoku that just opened in February and is kind of "hot" at the moment. A few years ago, I ate at the restaurant where the chef was formerly (Sushi Tokami) and it was great so I had high expectation. https://guide.michelin.com/sg/people...g-the-way/news
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:19 pm

Concierge help/advice: Get concierge to do it or do it myself?

So I want to book at 11 Madison for March (Husband's birthday) but reservations aren't available until February 1, 9AM. I know AMEX seems to have a thing with the restaurant (They currently have an "experience" for them in January). Reservations are non-refundable -- so should I get concierge to do it, or wait by the computer and do it myself?

I asked them if they would be doing it AT 9AM but they don't know. Unfortunately, concierge cannot book it earlier than everyone else it seems.

Thanks!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: VS Gold, UA Silver, IHG Plat / Bonvoy Gold / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Disc, National+, GE / CLEAR
Originally Posted by Brian Chen
So I want to book at 11 Madison for March (Husband's birthday) but reservations aren't available until February 1, 9AM. I know AMEX seems to have a thing with the restaurant (They currently have an "experience" for them in January). Reservations are non-refundable -- so should I get concierge to do it, or wait by the computer and do it myself?

I asked them if they would be doing it AT 9AM but they don't know. Unfortunately, concierge cannot book it earlier than everyone else it seems.

Thanks!
As the old saying goes, "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

I've never asked Plat Concierge to book a timely reservation for me, but since the event is important (husband's bday), I'd recommend you do it yourself. In my experience, Concierge is *very good* at getting hard-to-obtain reservations and tickets when the venue is already actively booking reservations. In this case, I expect 11 Madison to be crushed with requests. If you aren't able to get the reservation on your own, I think *that's a great time* to rope in Concierge and see if they can make it happen.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:15 pm

Thanks so much. That's what I was thinking and good to know it doesn't seem like i'm missing something. Thanks!
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Brian Chen

Thanks!
I don't know about 11 Madison but given my experience with French Laundry for my 10th anniversary last year I'd say I would trust Amex to make it happen. They didn't secure my reservation on the "first day" (90 days out I think for FL?) as I expected, but by the end of the weekend they had my preferred date/time set up for me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.