Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
This thread is a continuation of a discussion which started HERE.
Print Wikipost

Amex Concierge: What have they done for you?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
And...Apparently not. The last month has been an absolute nightmare. I don't think I'll ever attempt to use the concierge again.

I turned to them out of desperation. I thoroughly explained to them everything that I had already done to attempt to secure the part.

Long story short, they contacted a local Jeep dealer...Same one I called a month prior. Same one I told them not to, as I had hit brick walls there before. They told me that the dealer found an aftermarket dealer that had it. (Confirmed with my year/make/model, my VIN and a photo I sent). I was skeptical, as I had been down that road, but was assured by the concierge that everything was correct...I sent photos of the broken part for a second time. They assure me "That's right!"

They sent me the part, but it was COMPLETELY wrong. Not even close, the part they sent me was from 2 model years earlier and was like the difference between a baseball bat and a hockey stick. Concierge basically tells me, "That's it...Take it or leave it". (I am paraphrasing, they were much more nice than that, but basically what was the result).

So I'm left holding the proverbial bag. They take the part back, which was significantly more than what I had wanted to spend to begin with ($60 in parts, an overinflated $20 for shipping/handling), but will not refund the shipping, and had to drive to the dealer twice (1/2 hour each way, 3 hours lost time) to get the part back and subsequently refunded.

Concierge suggests for me to fight it with AMEX, but I'm just so freakin' over it, not going to bother. The dealer could have refunded the shipping, I just told them that I won't be coming back here for a car, service, oil change or anything...They're the dumb ones in all of this.
The biggest problem is that, once you hang up, they "pass the buck" to two or three people before they do any serious task, and you wind up with a game of telephone. By the time the person actually doing the research gets to it they have a small amount of knowledge regarding your request, which is very frustrating. I asked them to find a place to do private SCUBA lessons in Cozumel, I wound up with a list of group snorkeling tours. So frustrating.

Another thing I hate is that they annoyingly refuse to go outside of their preferred vendors. I asked to help get a custom gift basket designed and she would only go by what they had in their database as pre-designed.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: platinum card
I find the best way is to call the centurion concierge. I lost their number, anyone have it? Seems to always work miracles.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:11 pm

I email in my requests. Weird thing was once they said they had to give my credit card information to make a reservation at one restaurant. When I've called before I only gave my name...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bombadilio
I find the best way is to call the centurion concierge. I lost their number, anyone have it? Seems to always work miracles.
I heard somewhere that if you're entitled to use the Cent Concierge, their number will be printed on the back on this little card you get...

You can even use said card to purchase things.

Originally Posted by Sintaku
I email in my requests. Weird thing was once they said they had to give my credit card information to make a reservation at one restaurant. When I've called before I only gave my name...
Plat Concierge has always asked for my permission to release CC number if a restaurant needs it to hold the reservation. Phone and email.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:05 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by gooselee
I heard somewhere that if you're entitled to use the Cent Concierge, their number will be printed on the back on this little card you get...

You can even use said card to purchase things.
I was tempted to write a similar post, but you beat me to it... ^
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:29 am

Asked them to get me table at Sushi Samba on 3rd of July for my bday
came back 24h later with a plain email saying no availability and suggested some other restaurants i have no interest in
it looks like they didnt even bother to make an effort - probably checked availability via book a table or on the website
i replied: can you please use your so called "move the mountains " service and get me a table
came back saying: we have a special relation with them and they do hold tables for our card members but on this occasion you are out of luck as they are fully booked and wont accommodate you
so much for making the impossible possible - i have to say paying Ł500 ($785) a year for fee and not being able to get a table for your bday at your favorite restaurant (2 weeks in advance) is lame and makes me question if this card and their service are worth anything anymore
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: Usual Amex Cent. GGL.
as a rule if it's your favourite restaurant you probably have a better chance of getting a table once the single Amex reserved table has gone than Amex do. There is one table guaranteed for Amex guests and once that's gone you're in the general pool.

Did you only discover it was your birthday 2 weeks before the event?

PS My favourite restaurant sells out three months in advance 5 minutes after opening the month's listings. Amex are no help there.

Last edited by Deckard; Jun 24, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Deckard
as a rule if it's your favourite restaurant you probably have a better chance of getting a table once the single Amex reserved table has gone than Amex do. There is one table guaranteed for Amex guests and once that's gone you're in the general pool.

Did you only discover it was your birthday 2 weeks before the event?

PS My favourite restaurant sells out three months in advance 5 minutes after opening the month's listings. Amex are no help there.
I'm with Deckard here. Your favorite restaurant, your birthday...blaming Amex isn't the way to go.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:38 am

thats not the point....does Amex pay you to turn criticism into excuses?
they take pride in doing the impossible possible but they cant get a bloody table at a restaurant??? i spend ŁŁŁ ŁŁŁ with them so the least they can do is try
if i was them - id call the management - arrange to add an extra table fro 2h and call me back to say: there was no table available but we've managed to accommodate your request ...we went that EXTRA mile
thats why they are there, thats why we pay so much for the cards - and thats what they should be doing - otherwise - i can use book a table and my PA to book tables etc
Re did i only discovered it was my bday 2 weeks ago? no i discovered 32 years ago - but hey - not everyone has time to spend planning their bday 11 months in advance - some of us have businesses to run, and cannot rely solely on themselves to organise a dinner that makes everyone happy
but wait!!! the amex says thats what their concierge is there for...i mean they get flights to some island in the middle of nowhere but cant get a table at restaurant in London...
no surprise the company is going downhill at speedlight - and i am now reconsidering paying for any of their cards - and just get a private banking service - where they probably offer you more for less
Old Jun 25, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: Starwood Residences Owner, AA 1MM, MP Gold, Avis-Hertz PC, Ritz Gold
Your expectations and reaction are completely out of line
Old Jun 25, 2015, 5:03 am

Excuse me for thinking calling the concierge to book a table for a special occasion is out of line
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
Not too inflame it too much, but I agree with london2tim on this.

They promote they can book tables in tough-to-book restaurants.

My expectations are much lower than his, and would not get too fussed about it, though.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by london2tim
Excuse me for thinking calling the concierge to book a table for a special occasion is out of line
You're not wrong. I think that's the most basic service the concierge line can offer. I've called in the past as well and it did seem like they were suggesting exactly what I could see myself on OpenTable.

If a place is truly booked solid, you're going to be out of luck in any event, but I'd at least want them making an attempt.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
The French Laundry

Heard that amex has a good relationship with this restaurant, thought I give them a shot to get me reservations. This place takes reservations 2 months in advanced and are pretty hard to get. I've had amex trying to get me reservations for every weekend in August since the beginning of June. Every week I get a call saying they couldn't get it.

I'm tempted to call up Visa's service.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:57 am

Cant say about the Concierge in US - but the one in UK - based in Brighton are just a bunch of people not really interested to make an effort - you send them an email and like in the little britain sketch - if computer says no - they come back saying no - better luck next time
Now thats OK if you are not paying a small fortune for a card that prides in offering the best concierge service out-there. But when you pay Ł500/year for a service that doesnt just deliver, id either cut back on the fees or offer something that really makes it premium.
I did manage to get a table at Sushi Samba in the end by using a connection. Should have gone to her in the first place but i hate owing her any favours. There is always a way - if you try your best.
I think most people would only use the Concierge if they need or want something they could not get otherwise (eg if open table or calling the restaurant is not an option, to book a ticket thats sold out, to buy a plane ticket if none available online etc)
I would not normally go to them and ask them to do my groceries or plan my diary. Most people would also have some PA that can help them with arrangements
So i guess for many - the concierge is really the place you go when you run out of options and expect to get a miracle - because that's how they advertise it and how they sell you the over-priced fees

So my anger was related to them not really making an effort - even the suggestions they send me were terrible options i would never go for - dull over-expensive, overrated restaurants that have 1* reviews but charge 200GBP/course

There's a saying: if you want something done right do it yourself - and I guess that's how it is - don't hold your breath in the Concierge - is just 90% PR/advertisement and 10% reality

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.